New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    theres really no "correct" top-gear rpm * X speed. that depends entirely on the gearing specified by the manufacturer for your particular car.

2,000 rpm * 60 kph at top gear is pretty high... meaning that your car is geared pretty short overall... that would mean you'd be at 3333 rpm at 100 kph. but if that's what you're getting, then it's normal (unless you changed your wheels to larger-diameter ones, in which case it's not stock anymore but it won't harm anything).

as to the ideal shift points, as long as the engine doesn't lug, okay lang. you can shift at 1,800 rpm even as long as the engine rpm doesnt lug at upshift. sa diesels, you can shift at practically any rpm hehe.

2. Join Date
    May 2005
    Your SiR wants you to rev to get those 160hp!! Usually NA engines have narrow power band so gear ratios has to be close so that you don't drop below the power curve when shifting while you're on full throttle.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    What if you shift too low and the engine doesn't have enough torque so you have to compensate by pressing the gas pedal further... doesn't this waste more gas?

4. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What if you shift too low and the engine doesn't have enough torque so you have to compensate by pressing the gas pedal further... doesn't this waste more gas?
    im not sure but i try to keep my engine "happy" by shifting not too low and not too high... un tamang tama lang. i shift at around 2-2.2k pag overtaking 2.8k to 3.0k

5. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Yeah, 60 km/h at 2000 rpm is rather high. Regular 1.6 cars usually have 1800 rpm when traveling at 60. SiRs are real revvers and not exactly made to be cruisers. The engine is high on power but low on torque so the gears must be closely spaced for better acceleration.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Psylocke,

not really. if the rpm is too low and torque is lacking, the revs will rise very slowly even if you mash the throttle. if you hadn't upshifted, the revs would have been higher anyway, and higher revs always drink more gas than lower revs.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Well, with short-geared engines, shifting at 2k isn't that hard... when I'm just diddling around, I'm usually in fourth gear between village humps, going at 40kph... fifth gear on longer roads at 60kph, but my engine makes over 100 ft-lbs of torque at 2000rpm already, not like the Honda. The SiR really isn't lacking all that much in the way of torque, but it can feel sluggish sometimes at low rpms. When I'm driving the SiR, I usually shift at 2.5k, even when going slowly.

If you feel you don't have enough torque to shift at 2k (and honestly, when merging into traffic, it's sometimes dangerous to accelerate this slowly), 2.5k is all right, as long as you settle into your cruising speed after and lift off.

For me, it's just finding your car's balance of the lowest revs which will give you acceleration with the least pedal pressure.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by mbt
    sa diesels, you can shift at practically any rpm hehe.
    yup hehehehe. ako nasa 4th gear na 40 kph pa lang takbo ko. minsan nga nasa 5th gear na ako 40 kph pa rin ako. iba talaga pag diesel

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jim
    yup hehehehe. ako nasa 4th gear na 40 kph pa lang takbo ko. minsan nga nasa 5th gear na ako 40 kph pa rin ako. iba talaga pag diesel

pano naman ung 2nd gear kagad from stop. hindi na ginagamit ung 1st gear. barakada ko ganon e, sabi niya ayos lang daw un kasi diesel naman daw.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    nung araw na manual pa drive namin, hindi ko pinapalampas ng 2k rpm to shift. Kahit pa Civic (EK) sya, in fact sa 'rolla is even lower. As long as hindi parang hirap yung makina, and by that, other factors such as inclines/load should be considered. If you are trying to merge sa Highway traffic, its better to have your car reach cruising speed as fast as possible

for a/t depende yata sa driving style eh - cant really tell when an A/T shifts but its at least 120kph * 3000rpm when cruising.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
gear = speed