New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Happy new year tsikoteers!

I have a problem with the level of my clutch fluid which keeps on decreasing for months already since August pa ata last year. Haven't brought it to a workshop since topping it off with additional fluid every 3 days or once week worked for a while at medyo abala pa sa expenses last year especially during December. This week napansin ko na mabilis bumaba and level the fluid and I have to refill the fluid container almost full everyday. I don't know much about clutches and it seems it needs to be urgently fixed. I need your help guys kahit na inputs lang on:

1.) what specific parts need to be replaced and the scope of work needed. Estimated cost? Should I go for repair kits if there's any? Orig or replacement?

2.) any other additional worn out parts to look out for replacement when the mechanic is at it para makapagtipid na rin sa labor?

3.) Even on a full clutch fluid reservoir, napansin ko na dapat babaan talaga and pag apak sa clutch para makapagreverse ang pickup... reverse gear would almost always make disturbing grinding sound when engaging even with a heavy foot on the clutch already. Would this be another clutch problem?

4.) Read somewhere here na dapat daw ibaba yung transmission for a clutch fix? Isolated case ba yung repair sa leaks?

BTW, ride is a 1997 Isuzu Fuego 4x2.

Thanks in advance!

2. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    I had the same problem a few months ago. I did the same thing --- top off with additional fluid until, finally, the clutch just wouldn't engage and the reservoir became completely empty. Apparently the rubber seals just gave. Refilling the reservoir did not help kasi konting bomba lang ubos ang fluid.

1.) what specific parts need to be replaced and the scope of work needed. Estimated cost? Should I go for repair kits if there's any? Orig or replacement?

For fuego, there are two (2) kits, one for the Master Cylinder and one for the Slave Cylinder. The master is located in the engine bay (connected sa pedal) while the slave is connected to the transmission. The original repair kits for Master and Slave are cheap. (Make sure that you get the original kits so they would last long.) If I recall it correctly, the Master kit cost me around 600 while the Slave is around 500. Check WALCO in Banawe or Jayson for prices. Labor is around 400 each job.

2.) any other additional worn out parts to look out for replacement when the mechanic is at it para makapagtipid na rin sa labor?

Kung ang leak ay Master, check the clutch pedal --- i feel mo right under the spring kung may clutch fluid leaking. Mapapansin mo din yung carpet mo basa ng fluid. Master Repair kit mo kaagad.

I believe yung sa iyo, Master Cylinder lang may leak. Check mo under the pedal for fluid smears.

Kung ang Slave ang may leak, check mo under the engine bay. Follow the clutch cable until it reaches a cylinder connected to the tranny. Makikita mo kung may oil na tumatagas. Slave Repair kit mo kaagad.

3.) Even on a full clutch fluid reservoir, napansin ko na dapat babaan talaga and pag apak sa clutch para makapagreverse ang pickup... reverse gear would almost always make disturbing grinding sound when engaging even with a heavy foot on the clutch already. Would this be another clutch problem?

Not sure, baka adjustment lang yan kasi may leak ang cylinders. Try mo muna ang cheaper alternative --- repair kits.

4.) Read somewhere here na dapat daw ibaba yung transmission for a clutch fix? Isolated case ba yung repair sa leaks?

According to my mechanic, yung repair sa leaks ay cheap and easy to fix pero kapag pinabayaan mo may chance na masira ang tranny mo. Kapag nangyari yon, kelangang ibaba na ang transmission. Malaki magagastos mo sa parts and labor.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Hi fuego4x2,

Thanks for the input! Checked the clutch pedal this morning and sure enough fluids do run down the carpet when I press it. Had it repaired as early as possible today. Parts replaced were the clutch master and slave assemblies. Hindi na raw pde repair kits dahil masyado na raw malabo ung cylinder housing.. parang muddy na may kalawang na ung left over na fluids sa assemblies hehehe... time to replace the original parts. Opted for class A "daw" na replacements costing me P1,350 for the master and P900+ ata ung slave/secondary assembly + 500+ labor... original parts from the casa here I think cost bloody 13k and 3k respectively so it's a no-brainer for me to pick the cheap ones muna even if I were to replace them the following year but have to see first if it's durable. Next thing I'll be doing is clean up the mess the fluid has done beneath the carpet and rubber matting...Matagal na rin nag ipon ung fluids tsk tsk tsk still figuring out what to do with the damaged paint underneath.

Fuego clutch problem