New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Tanong ko po mga katsikot ,ok lang ba magshift ka from D to 2 at L habang palusong ka o kelangan magbreak ka o menor bago magshift.mga 20kph to 30kph takbo.hndi ba masisira AT m o ano ang proper downshifting.ginagawa ko kasing engine break.salamat sa mga inputs.2c turbo liteace sasakyan ko.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    just stay on D and use engine braking..

Quote Originally Posted by glxexurb View Post
    Tanong ko po mga katsikot ,ok lang ba magshift ka from D to 2 at L habang palusong ka o kelangan magbreak ka o menor bago magshift.mga 20kph to 30kph takbo.hndi ba masisira AT m o ano ang proper downshifting.ginagawa ko kasing engine break.salamat sa mga inputs.2c turbo liteace sasakyan ko.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    That depends on how steep the road is going downwards. Kennon like steep grades require a downshift at least into 2, or sometimes 1 in my experience. Reason for which is that one must keep control of the whole vehicle, and its momentum while traversing the road. You can also use a combination of engine braking and your brakes. But bear in mind that your vehicle's brakes generate heat. You should safely modulate its use as not to produce brake fade.

See here for Brake Fade; Brake fade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

My 2 cents.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I normally downshift. I put the lever from D to +/- (or manual mode) and choose the gear where there is enough engine braking so that the speed does not go up. I avoid using the foot brakes as i want them cool when i need them. So to answer your question, yes it is ok and is actually recommended to avoid heating up your brakes.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by lowslowbenz View Post
    That depends on how steep the road is going downwards. Kennon like steep grades require a downshift at least into 2, or sometimes 1 in my experience. Reason for which is that one must keep control of the whole vehicle, and its momentum while traversing the road. You can also use a combination of engine braking and your brakes. But bear in mind that your vehicle's brakes generate heat. You should safely modulate its use as not to produce brake fade.

See here for Brake Fade; Brake fade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

My 2 cents.
    I agree here. Likewise, when you're in D and you lift off the accelerator, it may cause the transmission to shift to a higher gear and make you lose momentum; if you stick to 3-2-L on a mountain road, you minimize the hunting between gears, maintain control and momentum.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by _Qwerty_ View Post
    just stay on D and use engine braking..
    Hindi ba pag nasa D ka at downhill, lalong walang engine braking?

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lew_Alcindor View Post
    Hindi ba pag nasa D ka at downhill, lalong walang engine braking?
    Depends. Some ATs downshift when you're going downhill and you tap the brakes. Until 3rd lang though so if you really want to slow down then kelangan i-move to 2 or L.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Yung ibang high end na matic may feature na alam nya pag downhill at kelangan mag downshift, yun sakin dahil luma na mano mano lang palit ko between D4-2-1 parang manual trans.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2013
    ok mga katsikot salamat sa mga inputs nu.so ganun din b pg nasa rektahan ka na sa hiwaY(120kph takbo) ay pwede mo ilipat sa 2 or L para mag engine brake?salamat uli

10. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    TS: on the right range of speed, D to 2 is ok. Pag napaka bilis mo na, tapos shift ka sa 2, kakadyot, which is not good, imho.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast