New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Hi,

I'm driving Lancer 2005 CVT. I'm not really knowledgeable about cars, and last week, I started to hear squealing sounds during start-up. I brought it to a mechanic thinking it was just a belt (because the sound is like your hands going thorugh a dry plate, may friction) but he suggested I replace the alternator because sira na daw yung housing nung old one. I had it replaced (since I'm not really knowledgeable) and after a day, I noticed a slight delay in transmission engagement. Previously, when I go from P to D or R, it's almost instant. Now, there's about 1 second delay, then there's a sudden slight jerking. Does replacing the alternator have correlation with what's happening in the car's transmission?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bellacossa View Post
    Hi,

I'm driving Lancer 2005 CVT. I'm not really knowledgeable about cars, and last week, I started to hear squealing sounds during start-up. I brought it to a mechanic thinking it was just a belt (because the sound is like your hands going thorugh a dry plate, may friction) but he suggested I replace the alternator because sira na daw yung housing nung old one. I had it replaced (since I'm not really knowledgeable) and after a day, I noticed a slight delay in transmission engagement. Previously, when I go from P to D or R, it's almost instant. Now, there's about 1 second delay, then there's a sudden slight jerking. Does replacing the alternator have correlation with what's happening in the car's transmission?
    check your ATF first. when was the last time you chnaged it?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    yup just had it changed sa pagpa tune up ko 3 weeks ago.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    On a side note, was it correct that they changed the alternator agad even if the symptom is just a squealing sound everytime I start up?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    On a side note, was it correct that they changed the alternator agad even if the symptom is just a squealing sound everytime I start up?
    hmmm if thats the only thing he said why he changed the alternator then your duped. Alternators are replaced and repaired if kung undercharging or overcharging na. Belt lang yun dapat hinigpitan or pinalitan pag squealing.

As far as I know with AT tranny, wala naman connection yun sa pagpalit ng alternator. Anong ATF yun pinalit mo? It should be compatible with your OEM ATF indicated in your manual else you will have more problems in the future worst is a broken tranny.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    it could be that the defective bearing have already damaged the housing, that is why the mechanic suggested to replace the alternator. If the battery connection was disengaged during the repair, then the ECU could have been reset, that is why you now have a CVT lag. Look for the procedure for the ECU to re-learn the CVT .

7. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Thanks tip_tipid! I'll just drop by a repair shop to have it checked. I'll post updates. Sana maayos. I think the battery was indeed disengaged when the alternator was being changed.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Kung na disengaged baterry obserbahan mo muna . Mawawala rin delayed niyan pag shift mo at wala ring kinalaman ang alternator dito.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Hi,

Oo parang dapat lang i-train ang ecu mo....may procedure sa manual kung paano
    Yung alternator bka nman sira nga yung housing or pulley kaya may squeek?

10. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Hi,

Just an update: Medyo sinipag ako magbasa ng Manual last Wednesday and may instructions pala dun just in case you are experiencing shift shock after dis-engaging the battery. Just shift from R to N to D and vice versa for a few time while stepping on the break and while the handbreak is engaged. Hayun, mejo bumilis na. hehehe.. May times lang na parang bumabalik, pero mukhang nagiging ok na. Siguro this is how ECUs re-learn? hehehe...

Delayed Transmission Engagement after Alternator Change