New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Hi guys, I'm just a new driver and I have read about the adverse effects of riding the clutch. Anyway, my question is this :

1. Is it ok to step on the clutch pedal while braking when decelarating?

2. Is it ok to step on the clutch pedal IF you're not stepping on the gas pedal?

TIA Veteran Drivers!!!

2. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by r1chm0nd View Post
    Hi guys, I'm just a new driver and I have read about the adverse effects of riding the clutch. Anyway, my question is this :

1. Is it ok to step on the clutch pedal while braking when decelarating?

2. Is it ok to step on the clutch pedal IF you're not stepping on the gas pedal?

TIA Veteran Drivers!!!
    Di ako super veteran driver, but:

1. It's probably better to step on the clutch pedal when your RPM is nearing under 1000. Engine braking helps further slow your car down and puts less wear on the brakes.

2. Is this at a stop? If so, ok lang naman but if you're at a stop, might as well put the car in neutral.

I read somewhere that the clutch should either be depressed fully or not at all for maximum clutch longevity. Keeping the clutch pedal anywhere in between for more than a small amount of time (or "riding" the clutch) isn't such a good practice yata.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mda View Post
    Di ako super veteran driver, but:

1. It's probably better to step on the clutch pedal when your RPM is nearing under 1000. Engine braking helps further slow your car down and puts less wear on the brakes.

2. Is this at a stop? If so, ok lang naman but if you're at a stop, might as well put the car in neutral.

I read somewhere that the clutch should either be depressed fully or not at all for maximum clutch longevity. Keeping the clutch pedal anywhere in between for more than a small amount of time (or "riding" the clutch) isn't such a good practice yata.
    I'm just a new driver kasi kaya inaapakan ko ang clutch whenever I decelerate to make sure that the engine won't stall if the speed is too low.. hehe.. Is it still counted as "riding the clutch?"

4. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    If the clutch pedal is fully depressed, then I'd think hindi.

Try to make it a habit to only use the clutch pedal when you need to.

Di ka rin naman masasanay if you don't start now.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    sabi use the clutch to change gears lang.. pag mag brake ka.. tapak lang sa preno.. pag mamatay na yung makina.. or mababa rpm.. clutch, gear to neutral..

6. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by _Qwerty_ View Post
    sabi use the clutch to change gears lang.. pag mag brake ka.. tapak lang sa preno.. pag mamatay na yung makina.. or mababa rpm.. clutch, gear to neutral..
    At 1500 rpm below, can I step on the clutch pedal already when decelarating?

Thanks for all your inputs guys, I guess I have to change the way I drive to preserve my clutch system.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Learn more about clutches so you get to know the principle behind stepping and letting go of clutches.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/clutch.htm

8. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Sirs how about in a stop and go traffic scenario? Is it ok to step on the clutch pedal at low speeds?

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by r1chm0nd View Post
    Sirs how about in a stop and go traffic scenario? Is it ok to step on the clutch pedal at low speeds?
    Usually talaga hindi maiiwasan to use the clutch more often during traffic situation.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by a3n3as View Post
    Usually talaga hindi maiiwasan to use the clutch more often during traffic situation.
    +1, kaya always check your brake fluid and clutch fluid if madaming stop go traffic. Iinit yan palagi eh.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Clutch Technique Questions for A New Driver