New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Using AT transmission

do you need to stop before changing from drive to 1 or 2? or is it ok to change gears while the car is running while your on drive, 1 or 2 will it damage the transmission?

thanks.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    pwede kahit umaandar basta wag ka lang magshishift ng gear kapag tumatakbo ka ng mga 80 pataas kasi low gears ang 1 and 2 ata e

3. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    San ba dapat nakalagay yung gear sa AT pag nakastop ako ng mga 5mins sa Park o Neutral? Pag warm up ko lang sasakyan sa garahe san ba dapat Park o Neutral? Kinakabahan kasi ako baka may masira lagi ko kasi nilalagay sa Park. TIA

4. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    do you need to stop before changing from drive to 1 or 2? or is it ok to change gears while the car is running while your on drive, 1 or 2 will it damage the transmission?
    Quote Originally Posted by gwapito69
    pwede kahit umaandar basta wag ka lang magshishift ng gear kapag tumatakbo ka ng mga 80 pataas kasi low gears ang 1 and 2 ata e

pwede yan sir basta pa upshift ka sa higher gear but shifting to lower gears di yata. pwede pa rin kaya lang you need to apply the engine braking principle ng M/T. preno muna hanggang bumagal then shift down.

San ba dapat nakalagay yung gear sa AT pag nakastop ako ng mga 5mins sa Park o Neutral? Pag warm up ko lang sasakyan sa garahe san ba dapat Park o Neutral? Kinakabahan kasi ako baka may masira lagi ko kasi nilalagay sa Park.
    sir ok lang sa park. it serves as second e-brake. sa neutral kasi baka gumulong ang kotse, madisgrasya pa. anyways, try mo din i-check sa owners' manual.
    Last edited by ian_rex; January 15th, 2006 at 09:39 AM.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by C#*RD
    Using AT transmission

thanks.
    there's really no need for you to downshift to 2 or 1 unless you're going uphill and start to lose power, or going downhill at the twisties and you want to slow down yung roll ng kotse mo for more control (both cases you can shift on the fly). sa normal driving, stay ka lang sa D, and if you need a little oomph, like when you're passing, gamitin mo yung overdrive button (kung meron).
    Last edited by wren; January 15th, 2006 at 10:19 AM.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    i have a friend hu drives a honda accord A/T 1994 ata.. bkit siya sa una palang D4 na.. ok lng ba un? sanay kasi me sa M/T e.. no idea sa matic.:-s

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Shifting into 1 limits you to first gear, which tops out at 60 kph. Shifting into 2 limits you to 2nd gear, which tops out around 110 or so. Never shift down into 1 when driving on the highway... as when you shift up from 1 to 2, you sometimes confuse the auto-box, which actually makes you slower.

You can start from 2... it allows the torque converter to lock up more easily, and gives you an extra kick from the start, then shift to D before you hit 100 (otherwise, you'll confuse the autobox... again).

Me? I used to row from 1-2-D-OD just for the hell of it, as I get bored easily, but you can get good acceleration by merely turning OverDrive off.

In terms of every day and economical driving, turning the OD off is enough. You should turn it back on when you're cruising, to save gas, and then turn it off whenever you want to overtake, to get it to kick-down a gear.
    Last edited by niky; January 23rd, 2006 at 12:34 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by vidge
    i have a friend hu drives a honda accord A/T 1994 ata.. bkit siya sa una palang D4 na.. ok lng ba un? sanay kasi me sa M/T e.. no idea sa matic.:-s

the idea of an A/T is that you'll just step on the pedals (gas and brake) as needed and not doing anything on the shift stick. for example, sa city type z na matic walang 1 at OD button. meron lang D4, D3, 2, R, N at P. on normal contions, you don't use D3 and 2. you'll only use these pag bitin ka (when passing or on a steep road) kapag magsstart k pa lng, dapat naka-position yung stick sa P. then press the shift button and shift to D4 to drive normally or R if you need to back up. kapag traffic, just shift from D4 to N. kapag magpapark ka na, just shift to P and never never forget the hand brake. i've read somewhere in the forums na masama kapag yung P ang ginawa mong hand brake.

Changing Gears?