New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Also, check and verify the accuracy of your speedometer.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    Also, check and verify the accuracy of your
    speedometer.
    Actually i plan to replace the speed sensor today since i read that sometimes it affects the shifting

3. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by iameldrin View Post
    Actually i plan to replace the speed sensor today since i read that sometimes it affects the shifting

before you take the car to your suking parts replacer, remove, clean and reinstall the speed sensor. this magnetic tipped sensor accumulates metallic dust and gets "numb". test the resistance too

4. Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Mga paps pasingit nmn po any idea nmn po bout may mitsubishi lancer 95glxi pag bagong start ung makina kahit nka drive n ayaw tumakbo, tas delay shifting n sya pag mag reverse nmn po ako kumakadyot ng malakas, tranny npo kya to? How much po kya mggstos k dto? And san po meron magaling n gumagawa ng tranny novaliches area...thanks mga paps in advance

5. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotmama01 View Post
    Mga paps pasingit nmn po any idea nmn po bout may mitsubishi lancer 95glxi pag bagong start ung makina kahit nka drive n ayaw tumakbo, tas delay shifting n sya pag mag reverse nmn po ako kumakadyot ng malakas, tranny npo kya to? How much po kya mggstos k dto? And san po meron magaling n gumagawa ng tranny novaliches area...thanks mga paps in advance
    Pag naka neutral and switch on ang a/c... ano resulta?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tsikot Forums mobile app

6. Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Ok naman po pag naka neutral sya khit nka switch ang a/c

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Hi guys I find it strange that my mazda 3 2008 1.6 is like shifting early, from 0-20 from first gear to 2nd gear and like from 20-30 to 3rd gear and 30-40 or sometimes 70 to 4th gear i find it weird that it shifts so early and when the speed is slowing down when it reach the 40 mark it doesnt change the gear from 3rd to 2nd but wait till its like 10 to shift to 1st, im thinking whether its a speed sensor issue or solenoids, I newly replaced my ATf so I know its not a problem, any idea? guys, there is no CEL or AT light what so ever
    The ATF has very little to do with shift points. Shifting is done through solenoids that are directly controlled by the ECM/PCM. What you're noticing might be normal.

When accelerating, if the gas pedal is pressed lightly, the ECM may shift early to be more fuel efficient (unless it detects more load or if the vehicle is going going uphill). However, if you mash the gas pedal to the floor, the ECM knows that you want maximum acceleration and so, it will typically delay shifting to get the most out of the engine's power band.

When you take your foot off the gas pedal, the A/T behaves differently depending on the vehicle. Modern A/Ts will only shift down when the brakes are engaged and/or if it detects that the vehicle is going downhill. It will also shift down when the speed is low enough so it will be at the correct gear and be able to accelerate immediately as soon as you step on the gas. Otherwise, it keeps the current gear to allow the vehicle to coast more freely, again to increase fuel economy.
    Last edited by oj88; November 12th, 2016 at 10:00 PM.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    The ATF has very little to do with shift points. Shifting is done through solenoids that are directly controlled by the ECM/PCM. What you're noticing might be normal.

When accelerating, if the gas pedal is pressed lightly, the ECM may shift early to be more fuel efficient (unless it detects more load or if the vehicle is going going uphill). However, if you mash the gas pedal to the floor, the ECM knows that you want maximum acceleration and so, it will typically delay shifting to get the most out of the engine's power band.

When you take your foot off the gas pedal, the A/T behaves differently depending on the vehicle. Modern A/Ts will only shift down when the brakes are engaged and/or if it detects that the vehicle is going downhill. It will also shift down when the speed is low enough so it will be at the correct gear and be able to accelerate immediately as soon as you step on the gas. Otherwise, it keeps the current gear to allow the vehicle to coast more freely, again to increase fuel economy.
    I think this is a good explanation on what im encountering, so do you think its normal that it doesnt shift to 2nd when slowing down to conserve more fuel? Since it will directly shiftto 1st in near stop i guess u really saved my ass by overthinking too much

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tsikot Forums mobile app

9. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I think this is a good explanation on what im encountering, so do you think its normal that it doesnt shift to 2nd when slowing down to conserve more fuel? Since it will directly shiftto 1st in near stop i guess u really saved my ass by overthinking too much

A/Ts behave slightly different from vehicle to vehicle. Unfortunately, I've never driven a Mazda to form a more definitive answer. However, the particular behavior you described still seems to fall within the norms of A/T operation. Shift points are never a fixed value. Like other parameters such as air/fuel ratio, it responds to pre-determined maps based on sensor inputs (ie. Engine load, RPM, speed, accelerator pedal position, coolant temp, etc.) and shift points are changed dynamically depending on what the ECM/PCM 'thinks' is the most efficient way to shift up or down.

Also, the reason you have low gears (1/L, 2, D3, etc.), aside from its other obvious uses, is to give the driver the option to engage engine braking if he deems it necessary. Otherwise, if you leave it in D, the A/T logic takes over all control and just rely on its own sensors to decide what to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by oj88; November 13th, 2016 at 08:59 AM.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    A/Ts behave slightly different from vehicle to vehicle. Unfortunately, I've never driven a Mazda to form a more definitive answer. However, the particular behavior you described still seems to fall within the norms of A/T operation. Shift points are never a fixed value. Like other parameters such as air/fuel ratio, it responds to pre-determined maps based on sensor inputs (ie. Engine load, RPM, speed, accelerator pedal position, coolant temp, etc.) and shift points are changed dynamically depending on what the ECM/PCM 'thinks' is the most efficient way to shift up or down.

Also, the reason you have low gears (1/L, 2, D3, etc.), aside from its other obvious uses, is to give the driver the option to engage engine braking if he deems it necessary. Otherwise, if you leave it in D, the A/T logic takes over all control and just rely on its own sensors to decide what to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yeah i think mazda has differen way kg matic transmission anw thanks for the help it really clears my mind thank you

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Automatic Transmission feels like shifting early and not downshifting right Mazda 3 2008 1.6