New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I suggest people watch the following video from beginning to end to have a better appreciation of their A/T, what the ATF exactly does, how some 'universal' ATFs are taboo, and how it's a good idea to stick to OEM or big-name brands of the correct ATF-type .

The guy is an Amsoil advocate but this video is not solely about selling their product. In fact, he insists that people take care of their A/T by using only the best stuff from reputable brands (Mobil 1, Valvoline, Castrol, and their own, among others). Needless to say, OEM fluids of the correct type should also be on the top of your list.

https://youtu.be/ax791vQ4-Ws

Summary of the video:

The A/T is by far the most complex piece of machinery in a modern vehicle, period. And in the middle of every bits of gears, pumps, pistons, clutches, etc., is the ATF. Commensurately, the ATF has a very difficult job to do and you typically don't want to skimp on it.

In a nutshell, the ATF has the following critical tasks:

1. Hydraulic fluid - It should be thin enough to function as a hydraulic fluid to push gears, pistons, clutch packs, and for the torque converter (a hydraulic pump) to work
    2. Friction modifier - Different car manufacturers who designed and made the A/T requires a certain 'grippyness' for clutch packs to engage. Suffice to say that using the wrong ATF will have an adverse effect on the life and/or shift quality of the A/T
    3. Coolant - ATF is constantly circulated around the A/T to take away generated heat. This heat is released through an external cooler or a compartment in the radiator.
    4. Lubricant - This is self-explanatory. Without it, the gears and clutch will eat each other up in no time

As an example, Honda requires the use of their own ATF primarily because of #2 above.
    Last edited by oj88; January 18th, 2016 at 06:34 PM.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Nice one, bro! It would help folks to think more of how to care properly for their trannies. Skimping on tranny maintenance costs may prove to be a disaster later on.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    I suggest people watch the following video from beginning to end to have a better appreciation of their A/T, what the ATF exactly does, how some 'universal' ATFs are taboo, and how it's a good idea to stick to OEM or big-name brands of the correct ATF-type .

The guy is an Amsoil advocate but this video is not solely about selling their product. In fact, he insists that people take care of their A/T by using only the best stuff from reputable brands (Mobil 1, Valvoline, Castrol, and their own, among others). Needless to say, OEM fluids of the correct type should also be on the top of your list.

https://youtu.be/ax791vQ4-Ws

Summary of the video:

The A/T is by far the most complex piece of machinery in a modern vehicle, period. And in the middle of every bits of gears, pumps, pistons, clutches, etc., is the ATF. Commensurately, the ATF has a very difficult job to do and you typically don't want to skimp on it.

In a nutshell, the ATF has the following critical tasks:

1. Hydraulic fluid - It should be thin enough to function as a hydraulic fluid to push gears, pistons, clutch packs, and for the torque converter (a hydraulic pump) to work
    2. Friction modifier - Different car manufacturers who designed and made the A/T requires a certain 'grippyness' for clutch packs to engage. Suffice to say that using the wrong ATF will have an adverse effect on the life and/or shift quality of the A/T
    3. Coolant - ATF is constantly circulated around the A/T to take away generated heat. This heat is released through an external cooler or a compartment in the radiator.
    4. Lubricant - This is self-explanatory. Without it, the gears and clutch will eat each other up in no time

As an example, Honda requires the use of their own ATF primarily because of #2 above.
    Automatic is never giving an adrenaline to me. It put me to sleep...Although, it's nothing to do with ATF, comment only! Thanks

4. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    how much ba magpagawa ng Auto Tranny in case may problem siyang maeencounter?

and, how long bago magpalit ng A/T Fluid?

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by myas110 View Post

i have heard stories, that the more practical solution to malfunctioning AT, is replacement (with surplus).
    since i have never had my AT malfunction on me, i have no idea whether this is true or not.

i would be wise to consult the owner's manual, re. schedule of ATF replacement.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by myas110 View Post

last december 2015 i had my AT for 97 civic overhauled by D&R fast auto in Sucat (dati magpakner si danny santillan at mel casaba - pero bad break up eh).

binigyan ako ni danny ng 1 year warranty sa AT overhaul, Janaury 2016 na ganda ng hatak at matipid na ulit sa gas civic ko doing 11/12 kms per liter on a 100km drive, uwian araw araw with wifey.

pero this feb - papapalitan ko na din siya ng ATF medyo mapusyaw na ung pula eh.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Whether you go for a re-build or surplus, it'll never be cheap. If you take care of your A/T well enough, you'll be selling the car long before you have A/T issues.

If you've ever seen an A/T that has been disassembled, you'll be amazed with the all the science and complexity that went into it. So if the brilliant engineers who designed it says you have to use a specific ATF, do it!

It's not about the adrenaline (or lack of). This is for those who already own an A/T vehicle. They've already invested in it, so it is well within their best interest to take good care of it.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald S.S. View Post
    Automatic is never giving an adrenaline to me. It put me to sleep...Although, it's nothing to do with ATF, comment only! Thanks
    If you need to drive a MT to prevent you from sleeping, it is not the AT car's fault

--

I had my tranny rebuilt already. Magastos, buti na lang not at my expense. Driving in Manila is considered extreme use - lots of idling, low speeds, high temperature and humidity. ATF (and filter/strainer if equipped) lang naman ang maintenance ng ATs, correct me if I'm wrong. Replace it according to your manual's heavy usage recommendation.

2KD-FTV manual states na inspect lang every 40k... Planning to replace it every 30-40k/2years whichever comes first

9. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Good read ( and view). Still at 12k odo but will surely be taking care of this and everything in the car.

For the appreciation of Automatic Transmissions