New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    May 2005
    been experiencing this for a while, just need the opinions of the gurus for a clue as to whats the problem.

i sometimes have difficulty engaging the first gear from a full stop (and reverse too). when i depress the clutch, put the gear into 1st, hindi papasok, but when i release the clutch a bit, dun sya kakagat.

i dont seem to have any clutch fluid leak.

car in subject is 2002 es 1.6 manual transmission.

thanks.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Asus700 View Post
    been experiencing this for a while, just need the opinions of the gurus for a clue as to whats the problem.

i sometimes have difficulty engaging the first gear from a full stop (and reverse too). when i depress the clutch, put the gear into 1st, hindi papasok, but when i release the clutch a bit, dun sya kakagat.

i dont seem to have any clutch fluid leak.

car in subject is 2002 es 1.6 manual transmission.

thanks.

asus700,
    check your transmission gear oil condition and level. it might be low and the gears have a hard time meshing from burnt gear oil
    jick

3. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    asus700,
    check your transmission gear oil condition and level. it might be low and the gears have a hard time meshing from burnt gear oil
    jick
    quite experiencing the same way with my car - Nissan Sentra
    where can I find the container or kung saan nilalagay ang transmission gear oil?

4. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    transmission gear oil is inside the transmission. you need a lifter to check unless you are willing to DIY it and crawl on your hands and knees.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ajOT View Post
    quite experiencing the same way with my car - Nissan Sentra
    where can I find the container or kung saan nilalagay ang transmission gear oil?

ajOT,
    your manual transmission comes with two housing plugs of 22mm hex head. one installed on the bottom is the drain plug, the other on the side about the same level with the centerline of your drive input shaft is the filler plug. the oil level is adequate if you could stick your finger in the filler hole and you can touch the gear oil with the tip of your finger at its first joint.
    jick

6. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    hmmmm....i dont think that the problem is the gear oil, although you could give it a try first to spend less.

i do believe that your problem is the gear synchronizer for your 1st and revers gears. bale i-isa lang po ang synchro ng 1st and revers gears, isa lang din sa 2nd and 5th at isang synchro para sa 3rd and 4th.

if im correct and the problem is the synchro, malamang pudpod na ito or sira na kaya mahirap mag shift nang gears. if thats the case, pray hard na merong binebentang synchro lang, minsan kasi, yung synchro, may kasamang gear na and it makes it more expensive.

synchro + 1st gear: 8K
    labor: 2.5K
    gear oil: 3 liters * 150 each

7. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jemils_t View Post
    hmmmm....i dont think that the problem is the gear oil, although you could give it a try first to spend less.

i do believe that your problem is the gear synchronizer for your 1st and revers gears. bale i-isa lang po ang synchro ng 1st and revers gears, isa lang din sa 2nd and 5th at isang synchro para sa 3rd and 4th.

if im correct and the problem is the synchro, malamang pudpod na ito or sira na kaya mahirap mag shift nang gears. if thats the case, pray hard na merong binebentang synchro lang, minsan kasi, yung synchro, may kasamang gear na and it makes it more expensive.

synchro + 1st gear: 8K
    labor: 2.5K
    gear oil: 3 liters * 150 each
    jemil,
    i must be missing something here. i have never heard of first gear or the reverse gear being synchronized. i have been working on asian, domestic (north american) and european cars for many many years. this must be something new. the vehicle must be fully stopped to shift to first gear or reverse without serious damage, otherwise if you can do so without damage, maybe they are synchronized
    jick
    Last edited by jick.cejoco; December 16th, 2009 at 07:04 PM.

ano kaya problem?