New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    May 2006
    I hear this pulsating sound when driving. Before it used to be when i slow down, it would come up. Now pati pag accelerate and at some certain high speed, the sound comes up. Took it to the honda dealer, and told me it's early stages of tranny problems. could that be possible, on a Japan built Honda with only 140k miles? Is it possible na pagawa na lang or kailangan ba i-replace ang transmission? cost of tranny is $3,100 plus labor of around $700, total of $3,800 plus tax, roughly a little over $4,000. Could this be avoided? Akala ko sa gulong nun umpisa, kasi i just bought four new michelin tires for it. dealer did a diagnostic test and says it's tranny. Are vehicles nowadays built this poorly? I thought I'd only hear about these problems from American cars.

2. Join Date
    May 2006
    To add to this, I have to get the A/C compressor replaced. Around $1000 labor, parts, and tax. Geez. $5,000 to get this thing going great, is it worth it? Down payment na yun sa bagong auto.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Sucks!... ganoon talaga ang labor costs sa US.

As for whether it's expected on a tranny with "only" 140,000 miles... it sounds just about right for a light duty small engine AT. I've seen 96 and 97 Honda AT's with similar problems on far less mileage. (And, for that matter, Mazdas and Nissans, too... no one is immune) It really depends on previous maintenance and usage, as light duty ATs on Japanese cars suffer a lot from heat, traffic and bad ATF.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    how about a quote from a tranny rebuilding place? at $4k i might consider a replacement van, just my opinion.

my old dodge tranny gone before 90k, my neighbor with mb c class tranny issue within a year, another friend who owns a van and had tranny problems less than 50k miles, and even newer infiniti's with early tranny replacements. at 140k miles, i think it is not so bad.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    that's pretty high milage narin. have you been religious about replacing your atf?

surplus tranny's will be cheaper. f20/22 and h22 should fit.

6. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by speedyfix
    that's pretty high milage narin. have you been religious about replacing your atf?

surplus tranny's will be cheaper. f20/22 and h22 should fit.
    i have been religious with maintenance, everything. I highly trust my local dealer, so kung ano sabihin nila, ok sige, gawin na nila. I don't think the dealer will do any tranny that's NOT A HONDA part. I've tried it sa air compressor, they wouldn't install it kasi they will have to warranty their work and a non-honda part can't be warrantied.

I've been thinking of just getting another car, hopefully. Getting the figures down now, it might be possible. The best candidate (hangat meron special offer) is a new 06 4Runner. Mas matipid sa gas ng konte compared sa GX ko, and it's pratically the same gizmos and features as my GX. Only thing is, well obviously, the sidings and things in it feel "CHEAP" (because it's about $10-$15k less than the GX) but if I never had the GX, it's pretty good na for the price your paying.

Ang next candidate would be a 06 Toyota Sienna. Ang problema, it's made in USA. Gusto ko Japan. Price ng Sienna is not bad, but hangat meron sale ang 4Runner, I think the 4Runner is the way to go.

7. Join Date
    May 2006
    Also getting a 4Runner would help my GX. Why? Kasi my GX is almost asking for new tires, and the 4Runner's tires are the same size as my GX. IF i get a 4Runner, i'll get a Michelin 4Runner and use it's spare tire and the GX's spare tire, and just buy 2 new Michelin tires of the same kind, and put them on the GX. Then just use two of the 4 old Michelins and use them as a spare for both vehicles.

1997 Odyssey, tranny problem?