New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    http://www.autoindustriya.com/featur...this-year.html

#1 is spot on. I lectured my sister on this.

#2 & #4 are good.

#5 didnt mention newer cars with automatic trannies. When youre going downhill and stepping on the brakes, your transmission will use engine braking automatically.

I dont have these habits though.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2015
    #1 says 3 and 9 o'clock but I think driving schools still teach 10 and 2 o'clock. It's time the schools update it because 10 and 2 risks breaking the driver's thumbs should the airbag deploy.

#4 I'm guilty of. I tend to play follow-the-car-in-front instead of looking farther ahead.

#5 is car dependent I think. Mine tends to accelerate (at least that's how I sense it) if in D while going down steep parking ramps. I have to shift to B.

Tapatalked

3. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    I don't have these habits either. I had a good teacher.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Most steering wheels have a thumb 'rest' at the 9 and 3 o'clock positions. This is ideal for me. Resting my hands at 10 and 2 feels unnatural and uncomfortable. I think the 10 and 2 positions were applicable when steering wheels weren't as ergonomic as they are now.

To me, the ideal steering wheel distance from you is when you stretch out your hands (with your back flat on the backrest), your wrist (not palm) should reach the 12 o'clock position. Too far and you won't have enough leverage to turn the wheel in an emergency. Too near, you risk hurting or killing yourself when the airbag deploys.

On seatbelts, as the driver, you are responsible to compel all passengers to wear their safety belts. No ifs, no buts.

I agree that freewheeling at speed in neutral and to some extent, with the clutch depressed (M/T) is bad.

I wish they publish more articles on road signs and road safety (ie. Right-of-way, meaning of road markings, etc.) These are fundamental skills that ALL drivers must know, but ironically, the most abused.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    On modern cars, freewheeling will consume more fuel ...

6. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    For AT cars going downhill, better to use your manual shifter (if you have it) or paddle shifters. Or shift to D2

7. Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Except in Canada. They actually have signs that discourage engine braking because "it's bad for the environment, eyy"?

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Wh1stl3r2 View Post
    Except in Canada. They actually have signs that discourage engine braking because "it's bad for the environment, eyy"?
    This is limited to trucks and semi's using Jake brakes. When applied, they produce a loud "BRRRR" noise that bothers communities.

Our local buses, particularly provincial ones have them. It is usually activated via a stalk switch.

This is what it sounds like:
    Skip to 1:20 - jake brake disturbing the peace - YouTube

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by oj88; January 29th, 2017 at 10:32 AM.

9. Join Date
    May 2009
    karamihan ay exhaust brakes pa rin kahit sa mga provincial buses at mga trucks sa pinas gaya ng hino,isuzu, nissan ud, etc.....nakalagay sa may exhaust pipe usually compared sa jake brake na mismong nasa cylinder head ang mechanism.

mabibilang lang sa isang kamay ang mga tunay na may jake brakes...yung mga western brands na trucks gaya ng mack, international, etc. e talagang may jake brakes.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2017
    I don't make any of these mistakes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast