New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    The only way one can make a major improvement in the traffic situation is to address the way jeepneys and buses operate in Metro Manila. In essence my suggestion is that the government should nationalize all bus and jeepny operators in Metro Manila.

MMDA should do research on the number of people using jeepnys and buses each day and the value of all fares paid. These figures would form the basis of a business plan which would include a network of bus routes across town, with designated bus stops and the appropriate number of buses for each route. The drivers would be paid a salary unrelated to the number of passengers carried. Certain routes can operate 24hours.

Anyone who has visited London will know what I am talking about. The London Public Transport system is massively efficient. In fact I would strongly recommend that the MMDA hires the services of Mr Ken Livingston, the previous Mayor of London, who implemented major improvements in the public transport system. He has provided a similar service to the Venezuelans for their capital Caracus.

The problem with the Catseyes on EDSA is they don't sink as you drive over them. This adds unnecessary damage to car suspension, and is a major danger for motorbikes. But the real threat has yet to come. That is when the staples attaching each catseye to the road snap or break and then we will have the prospect of dislodged catseyes being catapulted out of the back wheel of a bus or lorry, straight at our windscreens.

Also catseyes that sink are self cleaning, and although they are more expensive than the ones on EDSA, they would certainly have lasted longer.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sequins View Post
    The only way one can make a major improvement in the traffic situation is to address the way jeepneys and buses operate in Metro Manila. In essence my suggestion is that the government should nationalize all bus and jeepny operators in Metro Manila.

MMDA should do research on the number of people using jeepnys and buses each day and the value of all fares paid. These figures would form the basis of a business plan which would include a network of bus routes across town, with designated bus stops and the appropriate number of buses for each route. The drivers would be paid a salary unrelated to the number of passengers carried. Certain routes can operate 24hours.

Anyone who has visited London will know what I am talking about. The London Public Transport system is massively efficient. In fact I would strongly recommend that the MMDA hires the services of Mr Ken Livingston, the previous Mayor of London, who implemented major improvements in the public transport system. He has provided a similar service to the Venezuelans for their capital Caracus.

The problem with the Catseyes on EDSA is they don't sink as you drive over them. This adds unnecessary damage to car suspension, and is a major danger for motorbikes. But the real threat has yet to come. That is when the staples attaching each catseye to the road snap or break and then we will have the prospect of dislodged catseyes being catapulted out of the back wheel of a bus or lorry, straight at our windscreens.
    eAlso catseyes that sink are self cleaning, and although they are more expensive than the ones on EDSA, they would certainly have lasted longer.
    Thats very true sir! I've been working in Japan for years now and if we only adopt the traffic system they are using here siguro our traffic situation in our country would be improved. MMDA should have a trip to other country (ie. london, japan...) to observe themselves and strictly adopt the transport system of other countries in our country like the loading and unloading system of PUJ's, they should only be allowed to stop at that area, traffic lights are not observe and also pedestrians and most of all pedestrians in both sides of the road for people to conveniently walk which in our country are used as houses, stores, parking area and even playground...Accidents are prevented if only drivers observe traffic rules so with us using pedestrians to cross the road, I observed that traffic congestion occur in intersections because drivers dont stay in their proper lane which they intend to go as when green lights go the traffic would not move and blocked by vehicles going to right/left that stays in the center lane...as if all of us is racing to go home. In Japan pedestrians are very efficient as in if these lane go, both sides are used for crossing without accident because car going left/right to pedestrian gives way to them and wait for their turn before proceeding.. Parking in roads is also a problem that causes accident, here you could only buy a car if you have a parking lot and depends on how many it could accommodate, sa atin mas marami pang kotse ung walang parking area and uses the road in front of their house which nakakaabala sa daan. Change could be attained and start from disciplined drivers who know and observe traffic rules and traffic enforcers who should know traffic rules and strictly apprehending violators..

3. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    imho, it's always the political will that is missing. It is almost a common sense to know which and which are causing our hideous traffic flow system.. so for the mmda/traffic/lto/etc. officials, it's either.. they don't have the will or they don't know what they are doing..

thanks for sharing TS.

A view from abroad