New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Is swerving (changing lanes quickly) a violation?

I can only find "reckless driving" which is defined by Makati Traffic Code as:

29. Reckless Driving – a person while driving a motor vehicle fails to take such
    ordinary care as under the circumstances it is his legal duty to do to avoid
    injury to person or property.
    “Reckless Driving” o walang ingat na pagmamaneho - isang nagmamaneho
    ng sasakyan na walang ingat. Katungkulan sa batas ang pagmamaneho
    nang maingat.

Section 57. Reckless Driving. – Pagmamaneho nang Walang Ingat.

No person shall operate a motor vehicle on any road recklessly or without reasonable
    caution considering the width, traffic, grades, crossing, curvatures, visibility and other
    conditions of the road and the conditions of the atmosphere and weather to endanger
    the property or the safety or rights of any person or to cause excessive or
    unreasonable damage to the road.

Bawal magmaneho nang walang ingat at hindi isinaalang – alang.Ang lapad,
    trapiko, ahon o lusong ng kalsada, krosing, kurbada, dilim o liwanag ng lugar at
    iba pang kondisiyon ng kalsada at lagay ng panahon na maaaring magsilbing
    panganib sa mga tao at ari-arian o maging dahilan nang pagkasira ng kalsada.

Meaning that any form of driving, including swerving, is not reckless driving, unless it endangers the body or object of a person (including yourself). Swerving in traffic, that is, changing lanes because of flow, cannot be reckless driving unless you change lanes without care for the safety of other persons and property.

Opinions? Anyone here actually ever charged with reckless driving?

2. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    There's no swerving violation, they're classified under reckless driving.

So far, none for me. I drive rather peacefully unless I need to a clean toilet... and tissue.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    ingat sa Pasay puro swerving ang violations. kahit traffic na ang kalsada mga enforcers wala paki.. lagi sila naka tambay kung saan madami mahuhuli swerving.

ingat lang po

4. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    ingat ka talaga dyan sa lugar na yan, pero nadadaan naman sa magandang usapan yan, dami beses na din ako nasita dyan pero nadadaan naman sa pakiusapan, maging magalang ka lang...

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Swerving in its truest sense, IS reckless driving. Whether or not you endangered others or yourself, it's still an offense.

This is analogous to disregarding traffic lights in that, whether or not there is oncoming traffic or not, you are required by law to stop at a red light.

How our traffic enforcers interpret swerving is another thing. For as long as you change lanes with turn signals flashing or not breaching any solid markings on the road and done in due care, it should not be considered swerving.

Reckless vs Swerving