New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2015
    daming ganito tsk tsk

2. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    One of my dad's cars only reached 20k after more than 5 years. He has alternating cars and his daily drive is less than 15 k per day. He doesn't really go long drives. Me, on the other hand, reached 20k in one year.

So, it's very possible. Though, i don't agree that mileage is a good measure (except probably if it's in the taxi usage region)

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by RandMcnally View Post
    One of my dad's cars only reached 20k after more than 5 years. He has alternating cars and his daily drive is less than 15 k per day. He doesn't really go long drives. Me, on the other hand, reached 20k in one year.

So, it's very possible. Though, i don't agree that mileage is a good measure (except probably if it's in the taxi usage region)
    Some of my observations when I buy second hand:

1. When the owner has several cars, the better the chances are mileage will be less than 10K per year. However, check maintenance records as they are likely to forget having the vehicle serviced as it is rarely used.
    2. When a car has low mileage and the owner has one or two cars then I start inquiring more (like where the owner works etc.) as this can give you an idea if he uses the car often or not.

In my case I have two vehicles for regular use; one i use almost every day and when i go home to the province on weekends while the second vehicle is for coding purposes more than anything else. The main car clocks in an average of 17K per year (it's now going on 4 years old with 54K on the odometer) while the second car is already 22 years old with 129,000kms on the odo (averaging only 5,800kms per year since we bought this brand new).

Mileage is also not always the basis for gauging a vehicle condition. There are high mile cars but if you check, they are ran on the highways most of the time and are thus subject to less wear and tear versus a low mileage car that sees nothing but city traffic and potholes.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by ronw123w124 View Post
    Kung ako mas ok pa yung mataas ang mileage basta maayos ang sasakyan, at least alam mong well looked after kaya kahit ang taas na ng mileage eh maayos pa din at maganda pa rin ang tayo.

-Panu ang PMS nian d na masundan kc tampered nagkanda loko lahat ng PMS kc binabaan ang ODO, para sure sa Private nlng tlga less pa ang risk ng mga ganito, pinoy mdiskarte sa mga modification,

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by happylone View Post
    -Panu ang PMS nian d na masundan kc tampered nagkanda loko lahat ng PMS kc binabaan ang ODO, para sure sa Private nlng tlga less pa ang risk ng mga ganito, pinoy mdiskarte sa mga modification,
    some will assume the worst, and do extreme pms. including the timing belt, if it doesn't look new enough.
    some mechanics, however, are considerate. in my previous buy, the mechanic kindly scribbled on masking tape, the odometer reading when he replaced the timing belt. he stuck it inside the timing belt cover.
    Last edited by dr. d; May 4th, 2017 at 11:27 PM.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Common sense dictates kung 2nd hand buyer ka, kilala mo or hindi ang pinagbilhan, do the worst PMS, replace every fluid that you can drain, belt that need to be replaced, filters etc..

Odometer is not an assurance na okay sasakyan mo, di rin assurance na nasusunod PMS nyan.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by vvti2.0 View Post
    Common sense dictates kung 2nd hand buyer ka, kilala mo or hindi ang pinagbilhan, do the worst PMS, replace every fluid that you can drain, belt that need to be replaced, filters etc..

Odometer is not an assurance na okay sasakyan mo, di rin assurance na nasusunod PMS nyan.
    Agree here.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Unless you have complete service records ...

9. Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Funny how I 'discovered' mine was tampered..

Shortened story:
    - bought a car with 80k-plus odometer
    - bought it with an ODOS held by the seller from the first owner (buy-and-sell dude pinagbilhan ko)
    - contacted through Facebook the first owner regarding PMS she had with the car
    - found out the first owner had regular PMS up to, AS FAR AS HER MEMORY CAN RECALL, 170K mileage! (meaning, it might have been more than that)
    - also told me that the timing belt were replaced at casa recommendation, 150k mileage

So I just chuckled to myself, well, lesson learned.. After scouring videos and pages of second hand car buying, I did NOT do what many have suggested: check the condition of the pedal rubber covers with the odometer.. The break pedal rubber cover is worn on its right side, typical of car driven FAR LONGER than 80k..

10. Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Unless you have complete service records ...
    Pwede rin i-tamper yan paps kung yung booklet lang basehan. Mas okay kung matrace mo yung casa kung san serviced ang vehicle.

The truth is, ang odometer ay pang mind condition yan ng mga seller, kapag mababa mileage, you tend to drop your defenses. Yung subconscious mo will tell you na okay sasakyan.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Odometer tampered