New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If it's not the MMDA, it's the LTO's turn for their brilliant ideas...

Get ready to scrap your car’s license plates
    Posted on July 16, 2013 11:19:48 PM

VEHICLE OWNERS will have to replace their license plates with new ones under a scheme the Land Transportation Office (LTO) wants to start implementing this September.

In a circular published yesterday, the agency said the standardization move would help in law enforcement, improve the country’s vehicle database and “enhance the institutional capability of the government”.

It noted that eight license plate designs currently exist -- “some of which date back to 1981” -- along with the “proliferation” of illegible and dilapidated plates and owners’ “prevalent practice” of not replacing lost ones. These, it claimed, have “adversely affected law enforcement and national security”.

LTO Memorandum Circular VPT-2013-1772 states that the new plates will bear three alphabetical and four numeric symbols for cars, two alphabetical and five numeric symbols for motorcycles and eight numeric symbols for diplomatic vehicles.

The alphanumeric symbols for private cars will be black on a white background, while those for public utility vehicles (PUVs) will be black on yellow with the authorized route also to be indicated. Motorcycle plates will also be black on white, as will those for tricycles used for personal purposes. Tricycles used as PUVs will use the black on yellow scheme.

Government plates, meanwhile, will sport red symbols on a white background, with the name of the agency/office to be indicated. Diplomatic plates will carry blue symbols on a white background, while Other Exempt Vehicles (OEV) will have black symbols on a light blue background.

While the circular, issued July 1, states that the rules will “take effect 15 days after publication,” LTO Executive Director Alfonso V. Tan yesterday said actual implementation would start in September.

“We are looking at Sept. 1 for new vehicles and Oct. 1 for cars that are for renewal [of registration],” Mr. Tan said.

Vehicle owners will have to surrender their current plates. The new ones will have to be attached via LTO security locks and the use of license plate covers, frames “or any similar accessory” will be prohibited.

The new plates for cars and motorcycles are expected to cost some P450 and P120, respectively, inclusive of the security locks. A final price will be determined once the supply contract is awarded to the winning bidder, Mr. Tan said.

The new scheme does not take into account the use of vanity or commemorative plates, and Mr. Tan said: “That has to be discussed. But all commemorative plates that you see now are all illegal, since the last one had expired last January.”
    source: Get ready to scrap your car?s license plates| BusinessWorld Online Mobile

2. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    OMG! Sayang ung tilt plate holder ko.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    sus.... registration sticker ko nga wala pa eh. tapos papalitan pa ang plaka?
    ano kaya itsura nyang security lock na yan?

4. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    ang dami pa nga sasakyan di nila mabigyan ng plaka tapos gusto pa nila palitan mga existing.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Wag nila gagawing one way screw lock yan or better yet wag nila anuhin ang security lock dahil problema yan pag nasira ang bumper

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

6. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    nakakaawa na bansa natin tayo lang yata ang paatras sa asean

Sent from my Omega HD 2.0 using Tapatalk 2

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I presume they will give you a new plate number as well? Naku, pahirapan na ito kung naubos yun preferred number mo for coding.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    So, if my plate number ends in 7 and renew my registration this July, I can still use my old plates til July 2014, right?

9. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    ampootek na buhay to eh, inumpisahan na eh ni AtHorny talgang usong uso ngayop ang mga TANga.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Mandatory na ba yan?

2015 pa registration ko.

Pero -- asa naman. Plate numbers at sticker nga di nila ma-provide ng maayos, eh iilan lang naman yung mga may kailangan nun. Plaka pa kaya... lahat na papalitan.

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast