New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    According to this article, the answer is... The bus is the most unsafe mode of public transport in Manila, says report - Yahoo! News Philippines

The bus is the most unsafe mode of public transport in Manila, says report

By Monico D. Mekaniko

QUEZON CITY, METRO MANILA – Riding the bus is the most unsafe mode of public transportation when you’re in Metro Manila, a study claims.

The likelihood of getting into a road-related accident is higher among buses than in any mode of public transport, according to a report by a professor from the University of the Philippines Diliman Institute of Civil Engineering (UP-ICE).

The report by UP-ICE Assistant Professor Hilario Sean Palmiano, which he showed during the 9th Professional Chair Colloquium, presents causal factors of road crashes in Metro Manila and its effects on the Philippine economy.

The report itself is a synthesis of several researches from undergraduate students on the causes of traffic accidents as well as possible solutions.

Palmiano’s synthesis showed that by far, buses have the highest rate of accidents among all vehicles in Metro Manila, both public and private.

Citing data from the Metro Manila Accident Reporting and Analysis System (MMARAS) for 2010, there were already 7,633 recorded incidences, which was against just 7,050 registered buses that year. This meant that statistically, there was at least one accident per bus.

Despite having more accidents reported by public jeeps, the chances getting involved in a jeepney accident is lower. There are 50,085 registered jeeps by the Land Transportation Office (LTO) in 2010 versus 11,296 recorded incidences.

Taxis and FX vehicles are also exposed to high risk incidences. There are 37,478 LTO-registered cabs and FXs in 2010 while there were 7,927 reported incidences.

Tricycles are more numerous but reported the least number of accidents. There were 70,080 registered vehicles in 2010 but only 3,221 accidents as of 2010.

Traffic incidences involving private vehicles were also high (72,906 reported in 2010) largely due to being the biggest group of registered vehicles in 2010 (401,801 registered by the LTO).

Citing another undergraduate study, Palmiano said that among the causes of road crashes include driver inattentiveness, risky driving behavior, vehicular defects, and road defects. Certain types of roads, particularly the warped parallel type (parallel roads in weaving formation) cause around 40 percent of reported pedestrian injuries and 29 percent fatalities.

The length of sections, called weaving lengths that allow for U-turns also poses risks especially those that are coming in from the outside lane. Many weaving lengths in Metro Manila are less than 180 meters, which is not enough for vehicles from outside lanes to approach the U-turn. Palmiano suggests that weaving lengths must be no less than 180 to 200 meters in length for ample distance to approach a U-turn slot.

Palmiano also suggests that bus drivers be given constant road safety training programs to lessen the conditions that make buses a major cause of road accidents. In addition, provisions for pedestrian facilities in major roads must also be given. The government must also implement speed limits and strictly apprehend reckless drivers.

Stay safe and till next time, this is Monico D. Mekaniko, Va-va-vroom!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Finally... statistical proof that those damn u-turns are dangerous. I've always felt that the positions were wrong. U-turn slots should be at least one intersection away from the road they service.

Paging the MMDA...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Hehehe... nice nom de guerre. :D

Yes, those "weaving lengths" for the U-turn slots are quite short resulting in drivers cutting across almost perpendicularly and accelerating hard. For me though, the best approach when traffic is thick and moving steadily (i.e. 40-60kph), is to accelerate slowly and switch one lane at a time until i get to the U-turn slot lane.

You don't need to be a rocket scientist though to observe just how unsafe bus drivers are.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Trikes? Yep, low accident percentage BUT people, especially passengers, who are involved in trike accidents have higher mortality rates.

And the people in vehicles near/around these buses are more unsafe than the passengers in the buses.

BIG ENGINES/VEHICLES + NO BRAIN behind the wheels = perfect formula for DISASTER

5. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Tingin ko mas delikado iyong padyak sa riles ng tren... Nandiyan na ang tren at todo na ang busina,- hindi pa rin naalis sa riles....

16.7K:sampay:>>>:weathermanf2:

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    For me its the tricycles and the pedi-cabs (de-padyak). Reason for these to multiply heavily on the streets is because people are just too dumb lazy to walk.

Then when a legitimate road user (car) hits them because of some form of traffic violation or the other .... ITS THE CAR'S FAULT!

Buses? ...... Try riding a NOVA bus at half past midnight and you'll know what byaheng langit means!

7. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Di sinama motor sa statistics?

8. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lowslowbenz View Post
    For me its the tricycles and the pedi-cabs (de-padyak). Reason for these to multiply heavily on the streets is because people are just too dumb lazy to walk.

Then when a legitimate road user (car) hits them because of some form of traffic violation or the other .... ITS THE CAR'S FAULT!

Buses? ...... Try riding a NOVA bus at half past midnight and you'll know what byaheng langit means!
    oo nga why are pinoys so lazy to walk, ako, I would rather walk than ride the trike
    byaheng langit? baka byaheng impyerno kasi demonyo yun nag mamaneho

9. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by robot.sonic View Post
    Di sinama motor sa statistics?

Mode of public transpo daw eh.

kung mode of transpo lang number 1 ang motor hehe..

for me trikes and pedicabs unsafe talaga, maliit ang chance mabuhay ang sakay.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlyt View Post
    oo nga why are pinoys so lazy to walk, ako, I would rather walk than ride the trike
    byaheng langit? baka byaheng impyerno kasi demonyo yun nag mamaneho
    OT:

And the funny thing is, from bahay to kanto/sakayan they ride the trike/pedicab.

Then you see them sweating it out at gym treadmills.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast