New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    owwss? will you believe this guys? palagay ko binobola tayo ng MMDA. let's see when school starts.

palagay ko its because its summer and people would rather stay indoors because its too hot outside hahaha

MMDA: Traffic faster on EDSA due to colorum bus crackdown

By DJ Yap
    Philippine Daily Inquirer
    First Posted 21:19:00 04/06/2008

MANILA, Philippines – The average speed of vehicles traveling on EDSA has climbed from 22 to 23 kilometers per hour (kph) to 45 to 65 kph since the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority started its crackdown on “colorum” buses or those operating without a franchise.

With the impounding of close to 200 illegal buses, it would now take less time to travel from one end of Edsa to the other, MMDA General Manager Robert Nacianceno said on Sunday.

“We did not expect that the impact would be so immediate,” he told the Philippine Daily Inquirer in a phone interview.

Nacianceno recalled the time he went to Visayas Avenue in Quezon City from Gil Puyat Avenue in Makati City on a weekday.

“I expected the trip would take two hours but I reached my destination 40 minutes earlier,” he said.

The official admitted that the shorter travel time could also be attributed in part to the closing of classes. But he added that the crackdown on colorum buses has a much greater impact.

“Last summer, I think the average speed was 30 to 35 kph,” Nacianceno said.

Although the crackdown has been praised by many sectors, it has also been criticized by some provincial bus operators whose vehicles were found to be operating illegally.

But Nacianceno dismissed their complaints, saying it was within the MMDA mandate to ensure that only buses with the proper papers could ply major thoroughfares.

Over radio station dzBB, acting MMDA Traffic Operations Center Director Roberto Esquivel admitted that in the past, some bus operators were not apprehended because of their alleged “connections” in government.

But he said the practice would change and nobody would be spared from the operations.

On Monday last week, the MMDA began clearing Edsa of colorum buses as part of the last stages of the Organized Bus Route System which would use surveillance cameras and the radio frequency identification technology (RFID) for a fully automated system of dispatching buses in the metropolis.

Earlier, MMDA Chair Bayani Fernando said it would likely take another one or two weeks before the system could become fully operational with only buses bearing RFID tags allowed to cruise major roads.

The OBR System was first implemented in 2003 to reduce the number of buses plying Edsa to prevent heavy traffic.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    sana tuloy tuloy na ito. maganda naman ang hangarin ng MMDA. saludo ako sa kanila kung maubos nila yong mga pasaway na bus dyan sa edsa. kung ma-implement ito ng maayos, all praise ako.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    +1 ako dyan. go go go. hulihin lahat ng colorum sa edsa. titigas kasi ng ga ulo., mga walang pakialam sa ibang motorista.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by morrissey_05 View Post
    owwss? will you believe this guys? palagay ko binobola tayo ng MMDA. let's see when school starts.

palagay ko its because its summer and people would rather stay indoors because its too hot outside hahaha
    My thoughts exactly. sus. sobrang trapik on the way to MIAS nung sabado sa edsa.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    This may be true, but this will probably be cancelled out by the motorists who now refuse to use C5 due to the huge bottleneck made by the U-turn ramp construction.

Just give it time...it'll happen.

My two cents

6. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    oo nga naman kahit san halos maluwag ngaun walang pasok mga bata, sarap nga mag-drive improve FC ng SF ko aabot ata ako ng 10km/liter pure city

7. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    kahit nung friday sobrang traffic sa edsa, all the way from cubao to magallanes traffic...

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I was actually surprised.

Right after the colorum crackdown... traffic eased off... I was so surprised that I called Ghosthunter and said: "man, maybe the crackdown worked!"

To which he replied: "That's because school's out."

Oops.

Then, on the week of MIAS, it was tight as a mother-*****... weird.

We'll see when the U-Turn flyover is finished. Much as I don't like some of Bayani's bizarre ideas, it's nice that he's finally doing his job.

Now can you please impound those 1,000+++ f***ing colorum jeeps that show up outside my house every night? Thank you.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Traffic did ease on EDSA this last week and buses seem to be fewer. Even during the previous years during vacations there was no such comparable remarkable improvement. So they must have done something right.

Kudos to MMDA and with hope that they can sustain the good work.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    observation lang: what's causing traffic naman on edsa now are roadworks and the construction of more bus lane islands. do those islands really work?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
MMDA: Traffic on EDSA faster because of colorum crackdown.