New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Masters,

My brother lives in Iloilo and his Subic bought Pajero FM is due for a registration renewal, but was refused by the local LTO. According to them (LTO), they already received an Executive Order regarding the non renewal of Subic/imported vehicles. My brother even was shown or read this article at the LTO office. Though I haven't got the copy yet, but i'm deeply bothered by this rule. I must admit that i myself have owned several of these imported vehicles, and still hoping to own one again as I've enjoyed using them, especially the SUV types. I heard this rule before but did not took it seriously (knowing the process of implementation here in our country).

Hoping for some who can shed light about this. Thank you for your response / take on this.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    looks like meron ng batas on this...

LTO stops renewing surplus vehicles

OWNERS of imported sports utility vehicles (SUV) who bought their cars after November 2006 will no longer be allowed to renew their vehicle registration at the Bacolod Land Transportation Office (LTO).

Arroyo Watch: Sun.Star blog on President Arroyo

LTO Negros chief Norman Saril said they were directed by the national office to strictly implement the order and inform SUV owners to process their registration in the place where they originally bought their cars, usually in Cebu and Subic, where imported surplus vehicles have been delivered.

The administrative order stemmed from earlier complaints of local distributors of Toyota, Ford, Mitsubishi and others whose businesses were affected by the numerous surplus vehicles that entered through the ports of Cebu and Subic.

The vehicles are suspected to have been facilitated and released with owners paying lower taxes than they would normally pay for buying imported vehicles.

President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo earlier issued Executive Order 156 to address the complaints of local distributors.

But local importers questioned the legality of the EO and filed a case before the Supreme Court.

The SC recently decided that Arroyo\'s EO is valid and ruled the registration of vehicles bought after November 15, 2006 as void. (Ma Ester Espina)

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002

4. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Eto ba ung mga plates nag start sa B and R?

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamur View Post
    Eto ba ung mga plates nag start sa B and R?

hindi naman lahat... yung mga natives sa area ng B and R, "legally purchased" naman sila dahil sa official casa/dealer nila binili yon. and the CR should easily show that. malas lang nila dahil they have to register it in the same LTO offices that those that passed port irene, were also being registered...
    and lest we forget, some C's (subic).
    Last edited by dr. d; March 17th, 2016 at 11:37 AM.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 1D4LV View Post
    looks like meron ng batas on this...

LTO stops renewing surplus vehicles

OWNERS of imported sports utility vehicles (SUV) who bought their cars after November 2006 will no longer be allowed to renew their vehicle registration at the Bacolod Land Transportation Office (LTO).

Arroyo Watch: Sun.Star blog on President Arroyo

LTO Negros chief Norman Saril said they were directed by the national office to strictly implement the order and inform SUV owners to process their registration in the place where they originally bought their cars, usually in Cebu and Subic, where imported surplus vehicles have been delivered.

The administrative order stemmed from earlier complaints of local distributors of Toyota, Ford, Mitsubishi and others whose businesses were affected by the numerous surplus vehicles that entered through the ports of Cebu and Subic.

The vehicles are suspected to have been facilitated and released with owners paying lower taxes than they would normally pay for buying imported vehicles.

President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo earlier issued Executive Order 156 to address the complaints of local distributors.

But local importers questioned the legality of the EO and filed a case before the Supreme Court.

The SC recently decided that Arroyo\'s EO is valid and ruled the registration of vehicles bought after November 15, 2006 as void. (Ma Ester Espina)
    finally!!!
    so what are LTO going to do?
    a. refuse registration renewal, then impound it if it is still being used on public road afterward?
    b. confiscate outright.
    c. make them pay full import duties, and afterward consider them as just another regular car.
    Last edited by dr. d; March 17th, 2016 at 11:48 AM.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    d. Ask for lagay and continue renewing the registration papers and leave to the TE to run aftet them, who in turn will the TEs to let them go. Same vivous cycle, new opportunities for corruption.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    finally!!!
    so what are LTO going to do?
    a. refuse registration renewal, then impound it if it is still being used on public road afterward?
    b. confiscate outright.
    c. make them pay full import duties, and afterward consider them as just another regular car.
    item c is the more realistic thing that they can do. in the fairness of owners who have bought one. if the vehicles are correctly taxed, may papers yan so that they can present it to LTO so that it can go into mainstream.

the only hassle there is being flagged by TEs.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 1D4LV View Post
    item c is the more realistic thing that they can do. in the fairness of owners who have bought one. if the vehicles are correctly taxed, may papers yan so that they can present it to LTO so that it can go into mainstream.

the only hassle there is being flagged by TEs.
    i think the "proper taxes" is one of the problems... i have read before, that the taxes paid by these importers were less than what should have been. how they got away with that, i do not know.

i am not sure as to how the law runs..
    is it absolutely no importation of used such vehicles, period? or is importation allowed, provided the proper taxes be paid?
    and what about the other grey market imports ?
    the topgear article said "...can never be renewed again..". harsh words, indeed.

the law was dated nov 15, 2006. so i suppose no one can claim ignorance of that law when they bought their units after that date.
    ang nakikita ko dito, ay biglang dadami ang surplus parts for sale (from vehicles that were dis-assembled because they can never be renewed again).
    Last edited by dr. d; March 17th, 2016 at 07:10 PM.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2015
    I don't like it. It is right to pay the proper taxes but if the cost at the time of purchase reflected these correct taxes, the people who bought these units probably wouldn't have bought them. Taxing them retroactively seems like a trap of sorts, to me at least.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast