New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2015
    I'm sure most people here have at some point of their lives traveled to cities around the world and seen first hand how much better getting around is at most of those cities. I'm talking public transport like trains, buses, trams, ferries, etc. I'm sure you've also seen how much easier it is to bike or walk these cities.

After watching the feature on urban planning and traffic on tv last night, I've come to realize that I am tired. I work from home but still, I probably have around near half a million kms worth of travel driving by car. My driver all but quit this morning and I had to drive my wife to a meeting in Makati CBD. I keep wondering why road rage isn't as big a thing here compared to the US.

One of the solutions mentioned last night was carpooling or basically not bringing your car to work. Unless our new president borrows us into Marcos era level debt and overspends on infrastructure, all the proposed future projects seem like a dream or at least a decade away.

My question is, are you willing to give up your car to get to Metro Manila?

2. Join Date
    May 2014
    no way... its a status symbol yo! only the poor take the jeepney like me. elites shouldnt be squeezing on a already crowded jeep with us.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    no, i won't. i'm always on the go and i hop from one province to another. my car is sort of the extension of my home.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    I don't mind not using a car some of the time. But i aint gonna give them up either.

And the hot and humid weather is also a hindrance. Not to mention our storms.....

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Wh1stl3r2 View Post
    Currently, it will take me 2-4 times longer to use public versus private transport when going around the Metro.

So for me it's not practical to give up my car here in Metro Manila.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    at the current state of our public mass transpo? (safety, efficiency etc)

risk and danger of getting robbed, mugged or killed.

NO

7. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    I grew up commuting because my family is not inclined to cars and owning one is pricey. Ako lang yata sa family namin may hilig sa kotse. Given the fact that our public transpo is horrendous, I promise myself that I will buy my own car in the near future.

Imagine commuting in a sunny afternoon. Siyaman yung jeep, kahit 8 lang ang kasya due to different body types ng nakasakay ipipilit padin ng barker na maging siyaman. Syempre wala namang electric fan ang jeep pwera nalang sa driver side. Yung malagkit, maalikabok at mainit na hangin lang habang bumabyahe ka ang papatid sa init ng panahon. Ang hirap sobra kasi pawisin pa ako.

Quote Originally Posted by Wh1stl3r2 View Post
    Definitely, NO

8. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cast_no_shadow View Post
    at the current state of our public mass transpo? (safety, efficiency etc)

risk and danger of getting robbed, mugged or killed.

NO
    Same here.

Only when we achieve a public transportation SYSTEM that matches the efficiency and security of that of Japan will I consider.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Personally... I'm of two minds about it.

Over the years, I've driven perhaps a half-million kilometers or more. We have one car at 100k+, another at 180k, another at 250k and all our previous cars have hit 100-150k at one point or another.

Personally, if the place I'm going is near enough EDSA, I'd rather take the bus than drive myself. Because sleeping uncomfortably in a bus for two hours is less tiresome than sitting upright in a car for two hours. As long as I don't ride during rush hour. (I simply wait for the crowds to die down).

Only way I survived the courtship with my wife is by waiting for traffic to pass before going home from her place. Which meant sometimes going home at midnight or later, with some drunken old man sleeping on my shoulder or throwing up on my shoes in the bus, and a jeepney driver with more missing fingers than a Yakuza gangster driving the Jeep home...

-

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    No, i will not give up driving my car just because sometimes, driving is just so much fun than commuting. And the capacity to go drive as you wish is just too tempting.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast