New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Katipunan traffic: Viaduct, flyover construction coming ? DPWH

MANILA, Philippines €“ The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) announced on Monday, February 8, its plan to construct within the year a viaduct that would ease the traffic along Katipunan Avenue in Quezon City.

To give way to the project, it said, motorists should expect changes in traffic flow along this major road that traverses schools and commercial establishments.

€œIt (viaduct) has 4 lanes €“ two lanes on both directions €“ and it€™s almost half a kilometer long,€ said Melvin Navarro, director of the DPWH office in the National Capital Region.

The viaduct will run from the C-5 Road area to the Ateneo de Manila University Gate 3 near Miriam College, on both directions.

Navarro also said that a two-lane concrete flyover will be constructed from C-5 Road turning left to CP Garcia at the University of the Philippines (UP), but the DPWH is still finalizing project details before a bid is conducted.

"We already sent our people to UP for negotiation because the project will take 8,000 square meters of its land," he said.

The DPWH has until March 24 to bid out and award the flyover project. March 25 is the start of the official campaign period for local positions, and the corresponding ban on the awarding of government contracts.

The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority has blamed the heavy Katipunan traffic on the many U-turn slots and the high volume of trucks that pass through the road. €“ Rappler.com
    Last edited by Monseratto; February 8th, 2016 at 07:29 PM.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    This is great! For the long term.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    They have to focus too on fixing the UP Town Center bottleneck (for NB) and C5 Libis traffic (for SB) as the free flow from Katipunan may back up traffic all the more.

My fingers are crossed that the viaduct will help but the community and the school has to work to keep the area beneath clean and crime free as there is tendency for the areas underneath a flyover to become a breeding ground of filth, tambayan ng mga PUV and criminal elements. How I miss the Katipunan of my youth. The small eateries, the service road and trees.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    They should remove the c5 stop lights, bring back the u-turn slots, widen white plains avenue, fix the intersection at Boni and katipunan white plains.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    I pass by that area occasionally.... (Maybe not in the near future and so this is a concern) Can anyone enlighten me please what this is trying to achieve? TIA.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by EQAddict View Post
    They should remove the c5 stop lights, bring back the u-turn slots, widen white plains avenue, fix the intersection at Boni and katipunan white plains.
    If only they could tear down the Aguinaldo wall and widen Boni Serrano up to EDSA.

For White Plains, hopes of seeing that widened are dim as more permanent structures are taking over what used to be all gardens.

Quote Originally Posted by CVT View Post
    I pass by that area occasionally.... (Maybe not in the near future and so this is a concern) Can anyone enlighten me please what this is trying to achieve? TIA.
    Basically to alleviate traffic caused by vehicle volume coming in and out of the schools.

So may excuse ka to not visit the in-laws? :D

7. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post

So may excuse ka to not visit the in-laws? :D
    No excuse bro.

Basta pinatawag, punta kaagad. Nanginginig pa... :hysterical:

OT:
    We could actually be in that area more often in the near future and so my concern... One of our kids passed the qualifying exam and interview of Blue. Reservation is earlier than the release of the exam results of Green, although we are appealing. Now, knowing the nature of kids these days, he is inclined to attend the "other school" ( ) and stay with my in laws in Commonwealth... Ka alumni mo pa bro... ...

Management Engineering and its variants appeals to him for now... We will know... Honestly, he looks more Blue / (Maroon) to me than Green...

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by CVT View Post
    No excuse bro.

Basta pinatawag, punta kaagad. Nanginginig pa... :hysterical:

OT:
    We could actually be in that area more often in the near future and so my concern... One of our kids passed the qualifying exam and interview of Blue. Reservation is earlier than the release of the exam results of Green, although we are appealing. Now, knowing the nature of kids these days, he is inclined to attend the "other school" ( ) and stay with my in laws in Commonwealth... Ka alumni mo pa bro... ...

Management Engineering and its variants appeals to him for now... We will know... Honestly, he looks more Blue / (Maroon) to me than Green...
    Haha... oks na bumisita ka kaysa sabihin nila na lilipat nalang sila sa yo para di mo daw sila ma-miss.

BTT: Still no word on how this planned viaduct will look. If they don't bid this out by next month then it's going to be shelved until the next admin comes in.