New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    [SIZE=3]Stick to road rules, avoid fines, says DOTC[/SIZE]

MANILA, Philippines--The Department of Transportation and Communications (DOTC) denied claims of transport groups that it did not consult them about an order increasing fines for traffic violations.

During Wednesday’s hearing of the House committee on transportation, Daisy Jacobo, chief of traffic safety division of the Land Transportation Office (LTO), said six public hearings were held from 2002 to 2005.

They also presented to the House committee minutes of the meetings and the attendance lists.

LTO Chief Arturo Lomibao and Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board chief Albert Suansing, also insisted that the fines were not "excessive," especially if compared with "the loss of lives and damage to property" in accidents arising from traffic violations.

They stressed the DOTC order was not a question of economics.
    "If drivers don’t violate (traffic rules), they don’t pay the fine," the DOTC said in a position paper it presented during the hearing.

Rep. Monico Puentebella, chairman of the House committee on transportation, decided to call for the hearing even before the resumption of Congress sessions next month due to the impact the DOTC order on motorists.

The hearing drew transport group leaders who said they were shock at the sharp increases in fines.
    http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakin...ines-says-DOTC

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Tama lang yan taasan ang multa. Why worry about the fine if you are a law abiding fellow. Isn't this a no brainer - just obey the rules period.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    haven't see the details of violations but sana pinili lang nila ang lalakihan... those that can be considred as "minor" should have smaller increase or does not have an increase at all...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I'm in favor, but they should also pass a law raising the qualifications of traffic enforcers and managers. Actually, those who make a living on the roads, like PUJs, PUBs, taxis, etc. should be subject to a higher penalty for every violation with a strike 3-rule (meaning, you won't even get to drive a public utility vehicle once you get booked 3 times for a violation.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Just make sure that the implementation is just, fair and consistent... I have no problems with it....

7707:band:

6. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Expect howls of protest from the public transport sector, they always say that their meager income is hardly enough for their families and now the fines are going to be raised.

I am in favor of this just to instill discipline on our roads, just let the enforcers be professionals and not some ill-equipped former street sweepers who hardly knows what traffic infractions to slap the erring motorist and worst, one who does not know how to fill up a traffic violation receipt.

7. Join Date
    May 2006
    pabor din ako dito! another option "ang mahuhuling driver ay mandatory na mag-refresher session ng ilang araw sa LTO"... di na siguro sila uulit pagkatapos ng unang violation nila... biruin mo ang laking abala sa kanila at higit sa lahat wala silang kita during that period!

pero kailangan natin ng matitinong traffic enforcer!

I am in favor of this just to instill discipline on our roads, just let the enforcers be professionals and not some ill-equipped former street sweepers who hardly knows what traffic infractions to slap the erring motorist and worst, one who does not know how to fill up a traffic violation receipt.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    OK lang ako sa increased fines as long as walang mga huli tulad ng beating the yellow light.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    This will instill more discipline on us drivers, but I'm sure the public transport groups will be raising a big fuss.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    I was "pro-increased fines" before but now I changed my mind and here is my story.

Last week my mom's delivery truck (company A) got caught in bulacan for colorum because she was carrying my goods (company B). I went online to look at the fines on LTO website and saw that it was 1,500. I was kinda pissed because for me that was already a lot of money, but still the next day I told the driver to bring P2000 and pay for it. Well upon getting there the driver found out that colorum penalty it is now P6,000 plus a hefty P1,500 fine per day. Just to show you how insane the penalty is, on the day of the apprehension my driver got back to me around 6pm already so there is no way I could've paid for it and the add insult to injury the apprehending officer clearly told my driver that I have 72 hours to pay for the ticket. So with nothing to do, my driver came back empty handed and also informed me that his license will be forwarded to region III office in pampanga. So I thought great! Now my travel time and tollgate expense has just increased dramatically. Now I'm really pissed. So I did some research and made a call the LTO east ave traffic adjudication department and asked some advice from them about my case. They told me that colorum should not be applied to my case because I did not hire the delivery truck it was merely lent to me and as such is not under the colorum law. So they told me to make an affidavit attesting that the truck indeed was lent to me and not hired. So I went to region III traffic adjudication to plead my case to the "Hepe". I showed him my affidavit but he seems unmoved. He told me that he won't accept my affidavit because it was self serving. I mean wtf!? It was the truth and I have a sworn statement here saying the same thing and he still won't believe me? So I asked him what would make him believe my "wild story of a mom lending her comapny's truck to her son who is still a small time entrepreneur". Would asking my mom, who needs a wheel chair to get around, to be present make him believe? He said, I could try bringing my mom there but he doubts that I could change his mind. Although his arguments were weak his resolve to screw me over was strong. He said I could try contesting the fine but in the end it will still be him that will judge my case so I better pay up now or risk adding 1,500 per day if I drag on the case. So I came out of the office a broken man and just dutifully paid my P10,7XX fine. I couldn't risk dragging the case on because knowing how our country works, it is always the powerful who gets the last laugh.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Increased Fines on Traffic Violations