New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    If you don't want to slap yourself when the airbag suddenly deploy...

4 things you didn't learn in driver's ed - Yahoo! Autos

Use Thumb Hangers... and Forget 10 and 2

A cop I know was once fiddling with the in-car computer with his right hand while driving the car with his left hand at 12 (the top of the steering wheel, for those of you young enough to be unfamiliar with analog clocks. We know you're out there.) When the distracted police officer smashed into a stopped car, the force of the airbag deployment flung his hand back into his face, and he broke out his front teeth with his own hand.

That, my friends, is why you don't drive with a hand at 12 o'clock. The 10 and 2 position, once the common wisdom of driver's ed classes, is also dead (or at least it should be) thanks to airbags. The proper position is 9 and 3, while the Italian-esque 8 and 4 is more than acceptable. Don't do those hand-over-hand turns anymore, either.

Most modern steering wheels have "thumb hangers" that naturally put your hands at 9 and 3 so you won't smack yourself if an airbag deploys. Below 14 mph (the approximate speed for airbag deployment) I don't care where put your hands. Nor will I get bent out of shape if you cross over 11 or 1 in an urgent situation. But my students need a good reason to cross 12 o'clock.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Left hand 6 o'clock. Right hand :naughty2:

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I use 9 and 3 o clock approximately... a free lesson thought to us by Kookie R. many years ago. Aside from the airbag factor, it's really the amount of movement leeway that the said position gives when you're driving and have to do an immediate move/turn/maneuver.

My cousin learned the hard way. He held the steering at 12-o'clock and injured his hand in an auto accident (due to airbag deployment).

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    9 and 3 for me. More comfy coz of the "hangers", and this allows me to saw at the wheel if needs be.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    I use 9 and 3 o clock approximately... a free lesson thought to us by Kookie R. many years ago. Aside from the airbag factor, it's really the amount of movement leeway that the said position gives when you're driving and have to do an immediate move/turn/maneuver.
    Leverage could be a factor because the hands are as far apart as possible for more torque.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    sa 'kin 10/9 & 6. relax mode.
    pero syempre pag gitgitan, shift to 9/3.

parang nakakangalay naman yung 9/3 kung matagalan.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    most of the time 9 kapag singitan 9/3

relax mode 6

8. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    lefthand at 12 is officially for douchebags!
    Yan ang hindi ko magets, ang hirap kaya mag steer ng wheel pag naka one hand ka at 12.

Ako pag relax nasa 7.
    pag gitgitan 10 and 2.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by chua_riwap View Post
    sa 'kin 10/9 & 6. relax mode.
    pero syempre pag gitgitan, shift to 9/3.

parang nakakangalay naman yung 9/3 kung matagalan.
    Angas boy mode? Baseball cap on, seatback all the way down low and crusin on your putol springs with one hand at 12 o' çlock. :D

10. Join Date
    May 2006
    ako 9 and 3 din... pero pag relax mode, 6 lang, as in 2 or 3 fingers lang ang nakahawak.. pag racing mode, 12 and 4/5...

ang alam ko may tamang distance din dapat... parang yung wrist mo dapat sakto sa 12 ng steering wheel pag pinatong mo.. yun daw ang proper na distance... cmiiw...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast