Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fast69 View Post
    sirs,
    tourist visa lang hawak ko,puwede ba ko mag apply? tnx
    Apply ka ng IDL dito sa pinas.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CVT View Post
    just4u,- have not seen any traffic sign "No right turn on red signal" (at least in the Silicon Valley area),- always turn right with caution though....

2201:attack:
    sir CVT, we've stayed at Fremont, CA... my husband didn't pass the actual test because of this... paglabas sa DMV, di niya napansin na may signage so kahit na clear iyong lane pero the light was red, he proceeded to turn right, mali pa rin siya... so before his second test, he familiarized himself sa area... okay naman na...

fast69: di na yata puwede ngayon unless may SS number ka...

3. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fast69 View Post
    sirs,
    tourist visa lang hawak ko,puwede ba ko mag apply? tnx
    i was issued a drivers license even tho i have a tourist visa altho our visas are biz visas i dont know if it matters... when i applied i took the test the same day and the hands on test 2 weeks after. but that was... uuhhmmm 4 yrs ago? my license actually expires next year but alam ko nimemail lang nila sa house dun.. i dont know lang now if they still issue drivers licenses to tourists. it doesnt hurt to ask naman.. got my in fremont california.. i brought my passport adn the i-92 form thing? hope that helped. and i htink you may use naman your phil drivers license for 30 days upon arrival to the US.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    di na pwede walang ss ngayon... hahanapan ka ng ss, di nila renew kung wala ka ss...

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Besides the tips on the above posts!

To pass the written exam u need to get the CA driving handbook, read and review everything, the test is mostly common sense. Dont rely on the DMV website mga 5% lang ang question na lumalabas doon!

To pass the actual exam, id say at least practice a minimum of 2 weeks driving with ur student permit, familiarize the road signs especially "STOP" it means full stop. To be honest PINOY DRIVERS have this big ego that they are very good drivers but they are NOT the right term for pinoy drivers are RECKLESS drivers! 95% they fail the actual exam kasi lagi nilang ipinipilit and driving style sa Pinas tigas ulo ng mga pinoy . Also bring a descent car with all signal light working pag pundi isang ilaw mo reschedule ka kaagad. If u can also bring automatic car its best choice kasi kung manual may deduction points pag kumadyot ka lang kahit konti!

TIP: Know the heater and defogger buttons and hand signal yan ang first question na itinatanong ng driving instructor, and chances are if u get a pinoy instructor ingat ka lang mas strikto sila kasi alam nila matigas ulo ng mga pinoy.

Do you have a social security number if "NO" dont waste ur time even if u pass the written and actual exam u wont get ur liscence by mail kung wala kang legit na SS number!
    Last edited by Visitor; March 20th, 2007 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Wrong spelling

6. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    You can apply for a CA license even without an SS. You just have to tell them why you are not eligible for one, and you have to prove your legal residence, i.e. why are you staying long in CA? Passport and visa is necessary. Plus it will take a while as the application will be sent to Sacramento for evaluation.

The International Drivers License is not required. Your valid PH license is honored, as long as it has not expired, and you are not a resident, e.g. just a tourist who's here for 6 mos.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    Apply ka ng IDL dito sa pinas.
    International Driving Permits

The State of California does not recognize an International Driving Permit (IDP) as a valid driver license. California does recognize a valid driver license that is issued by a foreign jurisdiction (country, state, territory) of which the license holder is a resident.

The IDP is only a translation of information contained on a person's foreign driver license and is not required to operate a motor vehicle in California. Citations issued to a person in California who has an IDP, but does not have a California driver license will be placed on the Department of Motor Vehicle database.

The IDP is also called an International Driver License, International License, etc.

For more information about travel and driver licensing requirements outside of the US, visit the US State Department Road Safety Overseas website at: http://travel.state.gov/road_safety.html

8. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CaMoTe!!! View Post
    di na pwede walang ss ngayon... hahanapan ka ng ss, di nila renew kung wala ka ss...
    As a tourist you can use your foreign license to drive in California.

Here is the SS requirement per DMV.

Social Security Number Requirements for a Driver License or Identification Card

Why collect SSN?

The California Vehicle Code (VC) requires the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to collect your Social Security Number (SSN). (VC §§1653.5[a][b], 12800[a], 12801)

Federal law also allows any state to use a person’s SSN for the purpose of establishing his/her identification. (42 U.S.C. §405 [c][2][C][i])

SSN Verification

DMV electronically verifies your SSN, name, and birth date with the Social Security Administration (SSA) while you are in the DMV office. This process adds to the accuracy, reliability, and integrity of DMV’s data base. If the information you give DMV does not match SSA’s data base, you will be asked to provide your correct SSN, name, or birth date or correct the information on either DMV’s or SSA’s data base so both data bases match.

Application Requirements

You may not start a noncommercial Class A, B, or C license application or an ID card application without an SSN.

Exception: If you are legally present in the U.S., but ineligible for an SSN, you are exempt from SSN requirements. However, you must still provide an acceptable BD/LP document(s) for any future DL/ID card application or provide a valid SSN. You may not start a Commercial Class A, B, or C application until DMV visually verifies your SSN.

NOTE: The SSN is electronically verified with SSA while you are in the DMV office for all DL/ID card transactions, if it has not already been verified.

Verification Documents

DMV will only accept the following documents when visual verification of your SSN is required:

An unlaminated Social Security Card
    A Medicare card
    A United States Armed Forces ID card:
    Active-DD form 2*
    Retired-DD form 2*
    Reserve-DD form 2*
    Dependent-DD form 1173
    Military separation document-DD form 214 (original copy)
    * Letters following the number "2" indicate the specific branch of service.

What If I’m Not Eligible For An SSN?

All customers applying for an original DL/ID card must provide evidence of legal presence in the United States as authorized under federal law. In some cases, a person can be in the United States legally but not be eligible for an SSN. Once your eligibility status is verified, DMV will complete your application.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by redorange View Post
    International Driving Permits
    Is that the green form obtainable from USAA?

10. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    FYI

Customs and Border Protection does check if you have a license in the US. If you do have one it creates doubt that you came as a tourist and can get you sent back since a majority of foreing tourist do not apply for a license. Most that do have one have worked here illegally and doubt is all they need to send people home.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Getting a California Driver's License