New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    What do you do? You can be overtaken on the inside and on the outside of the turn.

Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Let's define what kind of intersection it is first, and if one is making a right or left turn. Making a right turn and having somebody pass you on your left is fine so long as the thru traffic is clear, and the lanes permit double turning lanes (like two cars can turn at the same time, towards lanes that are parallel to each other). The same goes with making left turns.

Pero if it's only a one way turning lane, then somebody passes you, just give way as long as it doesn't endanger you. Your foremost concern is your own safety, if he can safely pass you without cutting you off then well and good. But if he cuts you off at the apex of the turn then that is just asking for trouble.

As with your other thread, iwas gulo na lang and put safety well before anything else.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeige View Post
    Let's define what kind of intersection it is first, and if one is making a right or left turn. Making a right turn and having somebody pass you on your left is fine so long as the thru traffic is clear, and the lanes permit double turning lanes (like two cars can turn at the same time, towards lanes that are parallel to each other). The same goes with making left turns.
    Totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by mbeige View Post
    Pero if it's only a one way turning lane, then somebody passes you,
    Motorcyles are notorious for doing this irritating manoeuvre You have no choice but to give way. I stay away from vehicles that drive recklessly so I always let them pass me.
    Last edited by _Cathy_; July 3rd, 2008 at 06:09 PM.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Strange thing nowadays is, when making a right turn (and you are already in the rightmost lane), either in an intersection or to a side street,- we need to look at our right just to make sure that no motorcycle is attempting to pass or overtake us....

6303:fetch;

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    *CVT: Just for discussion, actually, it's standard practice to look at your right side in case a bicyclist is actually crossing the intersection. It's just not taught nor emphasized enough.

But I think you mean somebody in a motorcycle or bicycle will use that bit of space to also make a right, passing us there. I think when it comes to safety, it's the same principle, but others just force their way through, which is very annoying, while in the ideal world, you should also look out for those.

It's really hard to learn proper driving habits in a place where most of it is blatantly ignored.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Hey thanks. :shake:

This was the scenario. It was a y intersection, or whatever you call it. I was making a left turn from a two lane road to another two lane road, trying to achieve a constant (or at least a smooth one) turning radius and velocity. It was uphill and I was in second gear, coming from a full stop at the traffic light. Before the apex, I was overtaken on my left. At the apex of the turn, I was attempted to be overtaken by a second vehicle also on my left.

I didn't let the second vehicle (a sedan) overtake me, because I felt I would be in an awkward position. I accelerated.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    So ... please evaluate what I did.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrie Tella View Post
    Hey thanks. :shake:

This was the scenario. It was a y intersection, or whatever you call it. I was making a left turn from a two lane road to another two lane road, trying to achieve a constant (or at least a smooth one) turning radius and velocity. It was uphill and I was in second gear, coming from a full stop at the traffic light. Before the apex, I was overtaken on my left. At the apex of the turn, I was attempted to be overtaken by a second vehicle also on my left.

I didn't let the second vehicle (a sedan) overtake me, because I felt I would be in an awkward position. I accelerated.
    As long as you have the right of way, you have the right to own that lane or curve. If a mishap happens the investigator would always side on who is on the correct position.

BTW right or way or not, it is always wise to just let them go 90% of the time Iwas gulo lang and as MB has said your safety and your passengers is always the #1 priority.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Unless your driving a bullet proof vehicle or dilapidated jeep, it is always better to give way to the offending vehicle. It's not worth our time and emotion.

If you think you ought to do it to teach the other guy a lesson, think again. You'll be the one to learn your lesson the hard way - that things stand in our country going to authorities is usually a huge waste of time.

What I do is to blast the offender with horn with the faint hope that traffic enforcer might have seen the illegal maneuver and do what they are being paid for - enforce the traffic law.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    may naipit akong motor na ganito nuon pulis pa may ari hahahaha buti mabait yung pulis nadala sa magandang usapan at lipat ng assignment niyang matgal na niyang nirerequest hehehe, ngayon friends kami hahahaha

Being Overtaken While Cornering In An Intersecton