New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    May 60 KPH speed limit sa Commonwealth...DAW. Like everything in this country, I wonder if matutupad talaga...

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/nation/me...g-commonwealth

MANILA, Philippines - The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) will start on Tuesday dedicating lanes to motorcycles and other public utility vehicles along Commonwealth Avenue.

It will also impose a 60 kilometer per hour speed limit to prevent accidents there, which had been previously dubbed a killer highway.

In an interview with ANC, MMDA spokesman Trina Velasco said 2 right-most lanes will be designated to PUVs, 5 will be for private motorists and 2 for U-Turns.

It will start at 4:00 a.m. along a portion of the major thoroughfare up to Batasan Hills.

“We would like to tell all Commonwealth drivers, commuters that there is something on Tuesday. [It is our greatest intention] of minimizing accidents...We are keen on seriously addressing that,” she added.

A taskforce would see to it that the new traffic rules would be followed, she said.

“We will also enforce a team that will guide our pedestrians as well. We will also be clearing the sidewalks along the way,” Velasco added.

The taskforce is an initiative of Akbayan Rep. Walden Bello and the MMDA. It is composed of different groups from the Philippine National Police, Armed Forces of the Philippines, homeowners associations, etc.

Road signage, fences and other markings are already being put up to manage the new system.

Velasco said the segregation of the vehicles will be on a trial basis in the meantime.

Nonetheless, “we will definitely apprehend and provide warnings if necessary because we also want to be serious about it.”

The penalty and fines will still have to be tackled, she added.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    This I got to see.

The solid yellow lines that are "supposed to be for PUVs" have been there for the longest time but it was never followed. It looks like a big and very long vandalism on the road. And with the number and size of buses plying along the avenue plus the number of PUJs, it will be chaos putting them in two lanes.

I remember them "enforcing????" the 40 kph for buses before but it just disappeared as fast as watching those buses zooming like F1 cars.

Putting speed limit along Commonwealth is ok but I hope they would make sure that the whole stretch of the avenue is clear and not like an obstacle course. And I hope they would also put a minimum speed limit. Some are even driving at 20 kph.

It takes a very determined leadership and manpower to put that into action.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    What do you think it will be implemented tommorow 60 Kilometer speed limit at Commonwealth Ave .as a killer highway were they will put a CCTV and Radar detector.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by speed unlimited View Post
    What do you think it will be implemented tommorow 60 Kilometer speed limit at Commonwealth Ave .as a killer highway were they will put a CCTV and Radar detector.

They also plan to segregate the bus, jeeps, motorcycles, private cars, etc into specific lanes.

It was mentioned that radar guns will be used to detect and enforce the speed limit.

Wait and see.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    im from fairview and everyday sa commonwealth ako dumadaan. i don't think putting speed limits will prevent accident, although it would help. ito dapat nila gawin:

1. put more enforcers para mahuli ang mga pasaway na drivers lalo na yung mga bus na puro swerving ang ginagawa
    2. implement the bus loading/unloading stops para mabawasan ang traffic.
    3. implement yung no jaywalking at pagamit ng husto ang mga overpass para mabawasan yung mga nasasagasaan.

kahit me speed limit na ang commonwealth pero wala pa din disiplina mga drivers dun wala pa din mangyayari...

6. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Masyadong mabagal ang 60kph in a long stretch especially at night. 80kph to 100kph may do for PRIVATE VEHICLES.

Dapat sa PUV ang lagyan ng SPEED LIMIT.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by fjoseph View Post
    Masyadong mabagal ang 60kph in a long stretch especially at night. 80kph to 100kph may do for PRIVATE VEHICLES.

Dapat sa PUV ang lagyan ng SPEED LIMIT.

Eh, meron bang working speedometer ba yung mga PUJ?

8. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rna800 View Post
    This I got to see.

The solid yellow lines that are "supposed to be for PUVs" have been there for the longest time but it was never followed. It looks like a big and very long vandalism on the road. And with the number and size of buses plying along the avenue plus the number of PUJs, it will be chaos putting them in two lanes.

I remember them "enforcing????" the 40 kph for buses before but it just disappeared as fast as watching those buses zooming like F1 cars.

Putting speed limit along Commonwealth is ok but I hope they would make sure that the whole stretch of the avenue is clear and not like an obstacle course. And I hope they would also put a minimum speed limit. Some are even driving at 20 kph.

It takes a very determined leadership and manpower to put that into action.
    +100

I live on Fairview, meron na talagang lanes for PUVs dati pa, pero di sinusunod. Para silang mga sh*t na nagkalat sa kalsada along commonwealth. Kung maayos lang sana sila magdrive edi smooth.

Sa mga running ng 20kph naman, madami dito mga student drivers, daming driving school dito sa fairview, halos tabi tabi. Ok lang sana mga 40kph sa kanila, yung iba naman mga motor at trike na palusot lusot, parang ****.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by arvie1 View Post
    +100

I live on Fairview, meron na talagang lanes for PUVs dati pa, pero di sinusunod. Para silang mga sh*t na nagkalat sa kalsada along commonwealth. Kung maayos lang sana sila magdrive edi smooth.

Sa mga running ng 20kph naman, madami dito mga student drivers, daming driving school dito sa fairview, halos tabi tabi. Ok lang sana mga 40kph sa kanila, yung iba naman mga motor at trike na palusot lusot, parang ****.

Yes sir, Commonwealth Avenue is home of the extremes. Some would drive dangerously fast, moderate speed and annoyingly slow and that covers all kinds of vehicles.

I heard the interview of Gerry Baja and Anthony Taberna with MMDA Chairman regarding this, he said that the speed limit is from Philcoa up to Batasan and vise versa for the meantime coz there are still a lot of road constructions along Fairview.

I can't wait for them to discipline both drivers and pedestrians along Commonwealth most especially in Litex all the way to Lagro since that area is the most undisciplined part of the avenue.

10. Join Date
    May 2008
    I pretty much doubt that the 60 kph speed limit could properly be implemented at Commonwealth, the road is big enough to handle a lot of traffic and even with all the obstacle cluttering the said hi-way i.e. pedestrians, motorcycles, triclycles, karitons, informal bus and jeep stops, I often time get over 60 kph. However, I'd like to at least see the proposed lane management for PUV and private vehicle enforced. What a joy it would driving at a constant 60 kph (hopefully) without having to think that a jeep or bus would come swerving at your lane or a pedestrian suddenly deciding to cross at the worse possible place *ehem* Litex *ehem*. BTW, This morning I saw a jeep drift, I never thought jeeps were actually capable of that. But with the wet ground, the jeep fully loaded, and the sudden swerving of the jeepney from the outermost lane towards the second innermost lane, his rear suddenly gave and... he drifted (I guess the momentum is the culprit here). It was a good thing that there was no vehicle at the inner most lane and that he was able to recover or else Commonwealth would have been at the new tonight (for more unfortunate reasons). Oh, this happened at the informal jeepney/bus stop in front of the Fairview Market. Sorry for the long post, just wanted to let it out of the system.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
All set for lane segregation on Commonwealth