New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

View Poll Results: Will the Toyota PRIUS be a hit or flop in the Phil auto market?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • it will be a hit

3 6.25%
  • it will be so-so

17 35.42%
  • it will be a flop

27 56.25%
  • i bought one

1 2.08%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    [SIZE="4"]Will the Toyota PRIUS be a hit or flop in the Phil auto market?[/SIZE]

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Personally, I think the Prius will be so-so in the local market mainly because due to the hype of owning a hybrid car by some of the more wealthy sectors of our society. And since the first batch is (artificially) limited to just 100 units (for 2009), the demand might also be artificially stimulated due to limited availability within 2009.

Beyond that, I foresee the demand suddenly falling off as Prius owners suddenly realizing that the car doesn't deliver all the "magic" they were so hyped about.

Major things to watch:
    -fuel economy especially in city driving in Metro Manila
    -battery life (which might be shortened due to hot daytime temps)

3. Join Date
    May 2007
    probably if the fuel prices will rise to high heavens again... then the Prius will be a Hit.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    I voted so-so. Its all about the target market, most of us here ARE NOT THE TARGET MARKET thus our heavy criticism of the Prius. Toyota knows naman it will only sell to its target market and for its target demographic I think it will do reasonably well since its the only hybrid vehicle in the country. Honda might follow with its Insight but maybe then if the Prius is succesfull in its target market it could be too little, too late for Honda. Toyota is taking lots of risks, but with higher risks comes higher rewards!

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I got a chance to ride a Prius taxi cab on my way to the Centrale train station in Milan. Nothing special really, unless you consider the unique dash and the shifter. It runs real quiet, but then again, so do a lot of cars in its price segment.

Last Saturday, I was in Toyota Manila Bay and they had a silver Prius on display. It looked exactly like the cab I rode in. Considering its price, I think you'd have to be burning a hole in your pocket just to be able to drive a Prius and contribute to environmental conservation at the same time. It just doesn't make sense. You could buy a really fuel-efficient car like the Hyundai i10 or the new Suzuki Celerio and have a lot left over for gas and maintenance.
    Last edited by Altis6453; June 23rd, 2009 at 08:51 AM.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    depende siguro sa actual FC nito in Manila roads.. specially Edsa traffic.. if it can do 15 to 20 kms per liter on EDSA traffic.. hmm so say kung doble ang matitipid.. if you're spending 8T a month on gas.. kung dito 4T lang.. that's 4T savings a month... it will take you 250 months or 20 years para mabawi yung 1M you spent more in buying this car! hehehehe

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by tidus1203 View Post
    Honda might follow with its Insight but maybe then if the Prius is succesfull in its target market it could be too little, too late for Honda. Toyota is taking lots of risks, but with higher risks comes higher rewards!
    Honda already has the Civic EMS "hybrid" for a few years being sold in other countries. It's not a true hybrid but does employ fuel economizing features like engine-stop-start and electric-motor assist & regenerative braking to the 1.2L engine.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Aside from the Hybrid Badge, the price is to much for a car with as much features as the top of the line Vios which cost 70% less. In terms of FC. i think it would do great in Manila. They say it is more efficient when in the city compared to speedy highways.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    SO-SO. If I want to save gas, I'd save up for a condo where I'd just walk to work. Only politicians and showbiz people will buy it.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by buchieboy View Post
    Aside from the Hybrid Badge, the price is to much for a car with as much features as the top of the line Vios which cost 70% less. In terms of FC. i think it would do great in Manila. They say it is more efficient when in the city compared to speedy highways.
    How about needing to run the A/C all the time while driving in Metro Manila traffic?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Will the Toyota PRIUS be a hit or flop in the Phil auto market?