New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    May 2008
    i've already posted this one to other auto forum and i hope you dont mind me posting here again.

Matanong ko lang kung kelan ba magcchange gear sa Fortuner? sensya na at mejo bago lang ako kasi sa driving. i bought a fortuner 2.7 Gas engine a month ago here at Baguio City.

sabi kasi sa manual nung fortuner that i should always use 'D' (normal driving) for better fuel economy. So ano gamit nung ibang gear like the '3', '2', and 'L'.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    '3' will keep the highest gear used until 3rd gear only
    '2' will keep the highest gear used until 2nd gear only
    'L' will keep the highest gear used until Low or 1st gear only

Usually, you can switch to 3 if you're cruising and you want to downshift but the transmission is not responsive enough to realize you want to downshift. L usually for climbing steep hills so that the car is constantly only in 1st gear.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    3, 2 and L also provides engine breaking which is a good alternative when going downhill instead of using the foot break.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Just make sure you read your owner's manual and know the speed limits for each gear you select so as not to over rev the engine. Each gear has a certain speed limit and beyond that must shift up to the next gear.

When to use '3', '2', or 'L' on Fortuner?