New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger
    vocoyski: thanks for the link.

I showed the photo to some fellow hard-core hobbyist/modellers and we all conclude that the splash guards aren't even injection molded.

They look like they're just vacu-formed polyethylene from PE sheets. If any tsikoteer gets to order one, we can have a wooden mold made and have these vacu-formed (there's one in novaliches and another in pasig). This is the cheapest route.

If you go by way of injection molding, the metal die (male+female) will be too costly.

So who's gonna place the order? (are we going to be violating any patents or copyrights? who cares)
    You can copy it. You don't plan to sell in Thailand, anyway. Besides, the Thai company doesn't have a patent here in RP. But, why copy when you can make it yourself?

When you say it's vacu-formed polyethylene, do you mean it's relatively easy to make? Why not just have your friends start from scratch? Look at actual IMV units and make cardboard models to pattern from. I'm telling you, this will be big money for your friends. Especially if you can price it just below the cost of the Thai covers (inclusive of shipping). It's the clips required for fastening the guards that will be the tricky part.
    Last edited by vicoyski; August 18th, 2005 at 12:10 AM.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by vicoyski
    ...It's the clips required for fastening the guards that will be the tricky part.
    You'll have to try some clips from the wheel well guards of other cars and see which ones will fit the holes in your ride.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by vicoyski
    . . . But, why copy when you can make it yourself?

When you say it's vacu-formed polyethylene, do you mean it's relatively easy to make? Why not just have your friends start from scratch? Look at actual IMV units and make cardboard models to pattern from. . . . . .

It's the clips required for fastening the guards that will be the tricky part.
    By simply copying it, then we can be assured of a perfect fit. Vacu-forming needs a solid mold (not necessarily metal, wood is sufficient) from which to suck the sheet PE into, while being subjected to a little heat and slight pressure thus forming the part. Sure we can start from scratch, the wooden mold might only take a week to make.

Vacu-forming parts is a very easy process. All you need is a mold. Many serious hobbyist have their own vacu-forming kits at home using A4 size PE sheets.

From the link, the thais used PE (polyethylene), we can use the same material or from stronger polycarbonate sheets (for the off-roading Fortuner, but a bit more expensive than PE). Both these materials will not crack or break even under severe jarring or pelting by gravel. If you use polystyrene or fiberglass, then the severe jarring will cause the part to crack originating from the fastening point.

The clips/fasteners are the easy part - Gant Auto Shop (2742-D Taft Ave., Pasay, T:831-6932) has all the fasteners for Toyota - all sizes, lengths, and shapes (I'm sure some will fit perfectly). The front right wheel well has plenty fastening holes both on the upper wheel well metal and on the ladder frame.

I already stirred up the interest of my friends on fabricating this part. Also for them to make some money on the side. They used to make highly detailed 5-ft. scale models of actual ships for Japanese shipping companies. The 5-ft. ship hulls were all vacu-formed, thus this spalsh guard is technically doable by them.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    *jaeger: That's great news! Do keep me posted. When your friends start production, I can help spread the word among IMV owners. Your friends can produce on a per order basis para 100% sold lagi ang gawa nila. They can even go to the dealers and offer the product. Lots of owners talaga are asking about the R/F wheel well guard.
    Last edited by vicoyski; August 18th, 2005 at 10:23 AM.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Can't you just copy from IMVs equipped with wheel well guards?

6. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mazdamazda
    Can't you just copy from IMVs equipped with wheel well guards?
    The problem is... Not a single IMV unit in RP has a Right/Front wheel well guard. So, there's nothing to copy from. Unless, someone orders the Thai made aftermarket guards (which will add to the cost).

2 molds have to be made. 1 for the Innova and 1 for the Hilux & Fortuner (they have the same wheel well size).

Jaeger's friends can even opt to supply the Toyota Plant with guards for the Innova (which are assembled locally) as OEM.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    If we start from scratch and make a mold from wood - this is hit-or-miss and we have to re-work (re-carve) the wood to ensure a perfect fit.

If we do get the thai part, all we have to do is pour RTV resin on it with side walls to form an resin-block mold - that simple (this process is called "casting" in it's simplest form, walang male-female, straight buhos lang). Curing time of resin might take just a couple of hours afterwhich we have an instant mold we can bring to the vacu-form shop.

We just have to find a way to make this liner removable so after 3-years, you can remove it to have the chassis no. stenciled (LTO registration renewal); or make a mold in such a way that the chassis number will always remain exposed.

Unfortunately, the Phils, doesn't have a polyethylene plant and the sheets are imported (from Thailand or Indonesia, but I'm sure you can find plenty in Binondo). I have this strange feeling that the needed fasteners might even come out more expensive than the liner.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    How bout making a mirror image of the left front well. That resolves the copying problem. Am I right?

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ok ah, baka pwede din pafabricate ng splashguard (under the engine :D)

10. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by leinahtan
    How bout making a mirror image of the left front well. That resolves the copying problem. Am I right?
    This is the most logical step, but the creation of a mold and the other long tedious processes involved (as discussed in length in previous posts) are all still there. Back to square one.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Wheel Well Guards for the Toyota IMVs!!!