New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    When I headed home from SM Megamall I passed by a Shell Station first to gas up. As usual, the gas boy asked me to turn off my engine and I did follow them. After refilling, when I was starting my engine I noticed that there was a " tug " sound at start, but the engine started.

As I was headed home, I noticed that my radio turned off suddenly then came back on after a second or so.

After I parked the car inside our garage, curiosity told me that I should start the car again to see if there was really any problems, and upon starting the vehicle I noticed that there was really a problem. My suspect is my battery which was with me for almost 3 years already.

Here are the symptoms ....

1. My car wouldn't start, at all. When I turn the key, all I hear is just one click.
    2. I called up some of my dad's friends and asked them if they could push the car ... they did but still, the car didn't start.
    3. The headlights were working, high/lo beam. And so does the foglights.
    4. When I switch my headlights to high beam, I noticed that my radio was turning off then after 2 seconds, it would turn back to life again and play music normally.
    5. My horn is out of tune. Fiamm horns are loud, but this ... no, it's not.
    6. I noticed this morning that my aircon isn't that cool anymore despite my condenser repair, a/c cleaning, freon additions that was done a month ago.

Question is, is my battery the possible suspect to this ? We have a nearby motolite shop here and I could ask for home-service if it really is.

Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    did you check the battery clamps? ... could be loose. Just enough contact to power basic electrical stuff but not enough for high current stuff like engine starter.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    ghosthunter : Yes. I did. Should I also check my alternator and belt tension if it's loose ? It was advised to me by one TACP peep.

Thanks.
    Last edited by renzo_d10; April 25th, 2010 at 10:00 PM.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    change the battery.Sulit na yan.Usually 2.5 years lang tumatagal battery ko.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    downshift2 : Yes. Sulit na nga talaga eh. Buti na nga lang, I went home na and didn't head to somewhere pa ... kung hindi, talagang hassle.

I`ll change the battery tomorrow, and will update. Hopefully ... yun talaga ang suspect.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Have your alternator checked first before buying a new battery. Especially the main wires for any bloated sections, you say the lights are working? then your battery still has charge left in them... sayang pera baka buo pa naman...

Quote Originally Posted by renzo_d10 View Post
    When I headed home from SM Megamall I passed by a Shell Station first to gas up. As usual, the gas boy asked me to turn off my engine and I did follow them. After refilling, when I was starting my engine I noticed that there was a " tug " sound at start, but the engine started.

As I was headed home, I noticed that my radio turned off suddenly then came back on after a second or so.

After I parked the car inside our garage, curiosity told me that I should start the car again to see if there was really any problems, and upon starting the vehicle I noticed that there was really a problem. My suspect is my battery which was with me for almost 3 years already.

Here are the symptoms ....

1. My car wouldn't start, at all. When I turn the key, all I hear is just one click.
    2. I called up some of my dad's friends and asked them if they could push the car ... they did but still, the car didn't start.
    3. The headlights were working, high/lo beam. And so does the foglights.
    4. When I switch my headlights to high beam, I noticed that my radio was turning off then after 2 seconds, it would turn back to life again and play music normally.
    5. My horn is out of tune. Fiamm horns are loud, but this ... no, it's not.
    6. I noticed this morning that my aircon isn't that cool anymore despite my condenser repair, a/c cleaning, freon additions that was done a month ago.

Question is, is my battery the possible suspect to this ? We have a nearby motolite shop here and I could ask for home-service if it really is.

Thanks.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Called up motolite to have my battery tested, and ... it's dead. So I had it replaced with a new one, Motolite Gold.

When they tested the new battery, charge seems to be below normal at idle .... but when revving, it goes back to normal. What I did is, I had my alternator fixed, and that seemed to do the trick ... but I found out also that my oil seal is busted. Argh! :doh:

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by renzo_d10 View Post
    Called up motolite to have my battery tested, and ... it's dead. So I had it replaced with a new one, Motolite Gold.

When they tested the new battery, charge seems to be below normal at idle .... but when revving, it goes back to normal. What I did is, I had my alternator fixed, and that seemed to do the trick ... but I found out also that my oil seal is busted. Argh! :doh:
    Don't you just love old cars? ... especially when you find out how much that love with cost you?

9. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    ghosthunter : Oo nga eh. Today, It costed me +/- 5k already.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    consult your battery and electrical shop before you buy a new one. battery shop have their spare battery in good condition if the process still failed then rplace it wih new one

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
What could be the problem ?