New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    0 to 60 (or thereabouts... Not top speed) --- which is faster?

Does anyone have first hand experience? Ive driven both and really feel the vios is faster (?)

One of these days, i might just race the two just to see which is which... Hehe

Anyone care to share their experience with the two?

2. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    The Vios 1.5s are faster than the 1.6 3s, but I doubt that the 1.3s will be faster than the 2.0Rs.

Not first hand experience though. We don't own any of the two.

But as far as I know, the Civic 1.8 AT will accelerate around the same speed that the 2.0R will, and I don't think matatapatan yan ng 1.3 Vios.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The 2.0R and Civic 1.8 AT both get to 100 km/h in 10.5 seconds or so from a dead stop.

The Vios 1.5 MT does the same in about 11 seconds.

Your Vios 1.3 MT should do it in about 12 or so. It only feels faster because Toyota programs its electronic throttles to open more completely with smaller pedal inputs.

With the 2.0R, it's
    10% pedal - (delay) 10% throttle
    50% - 50%
    100% - 100%

With Toyota's it's usually
    10% pedal - 20% throttle
    50% - 80%
    100% - 100%.

All perception.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The Vios is also lighter thus it feels nervous and faster at speed versus the heavier 1.6s.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    The 2.0R and Civic 1.8 AT both get to 100 km/h in 10.5 seconds or so from a dead stop.

The Vios 1.5 MT does the same in about 11 seconds.

Your Vios 1.3 MT should do it in about 12 or so. It only feels faster because Toyota programs its electronic throttles to open more completely with smaller pedal inputs.

With the 2.0R, it's
    10% pedal - (delay) 10% throttle
    50% - 50%
    100% - 100%

With Toyota's it's usually
    10% pedal - 20% throttle
    50% - 80%
    100% - 100%.

All perception.
    Thanks for your input! If this is true, toyota did a great job with improving feel and perception. Now that you mentioned it, i did base my observation only from slightly spirited city driving, NOT from full throttle scenarios.

I just downloaded this cool app for my android phone that uses gps to time how long it takes for you to get from speed X to speed Y. Really cool! Can't wait to test it out and see which is faster! Will posts results here! Too bad I don't know anyone who has a civic I can time.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I'm not completely satisfied with the performance of GPS-based speed meters on Androids. Most Android phones don't have the accuracy to give consistent results. And standing starts often flummox them, and they don't start timing right away.

Best results you can get with a "cheap" device are with the Racelogic V-Box.

That said, best to do testing on a piece of ground that's straight, with no traffic. You'll have to use your GPS to measure altitude at the beginning and end of the straight. For slow cars like the Vios, a slightly uphill pull results in a much longer time, while a slightly downhill one results in a shorter time.

Safest to do, if you don't want to ruin your clutch, is a 30-60 mph measure or a 60-100 km/h one.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    *niky : thanks for your advice. I just got back in from a night of 'testing'! Pretty fun!

I agree that the android gps time apps are less than satisfactory! At the very best, i think they are only good as basis of comparison (especially if used over many 'runs').

I tested 20-80kph -- as i thought this is the 'sweet spot'. But since 20 kph is slow, i ended up taking it from stop and 1st gear anyway.

unfortunately, i was not able to take the vios out, but i was able to do about 5 runs on the mazda 3 2.0... I averaged around 8 seconds. (does this sound right?).

Im normally quite a mild mannered driver. But for the sake of science, I kept gunning it from stop... The car would shift itself at red line! Whew!

Side question: Assuming car is warm already, how damaging is open throttle hard acceleration? What would you keep an eye out for? engine damage? Clutch? Transmission? Or is this generally ok? I assume a lot of the performance buffs here gun their cars quite a bit. Should i have the car checked out after? But that was quite fun!

Going back to my experimentation, I'll see if i can borrow and take the vios out tom. My worry is that the gps app can not capture the fine difference. Anyway, aside from the vios, I will also try it on a car that should deliver a faster time and see if gps will validate what is expected.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Only damaging to the clutch when you "launch".

Unfortunately, I have no point of comparison with a 20-80. I know most cars at this level can do 0-20 km/h in about 1.5 seconds, but 80-100 depends on a whole slew of factors, including gearing and the 2nd-3rd shift (which can add nearly a whole second. 8 seconds sounds a bit slow, but if you're not "launching", it takes the engine some time to kick into gear.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Niky, if you dont mind sharing, ano yung time ng RS mo ? 0-60mph or whatever. Curious kasi ako since your RS is stock from the outside & yet tuned siya from the " inside " plus M/T pa.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Last I timed it in this state of tune, around 8.6 or 8.7 seconds from 0-100 km/h. Estimate the surface we used for the last test added about 0.5 seconds to the time.

Fastest I've ever done (when it was still just lightly modified) was 8.3 seconds, but that was on a better surface.

Reason the car isn't so much faster now is because my tires are too sticky (hard to launch) and the gearbox isn't as new as it used to be, so I have to be gentle with the 2-3 upshift, which costs me about 0.5 seconds. If the gearbox were fresh and I still had my stock tires, I reckon the car should be in the high 7s or around 8 flat.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Vios 1.3 M/T faster than Mazda 3 2.0R!