New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    i don't know if its just me, but i just noticed that when accelerating and upon reaching 3k rpm, there is a very noticeable rumbling sound. it disappears above 3k rpm.

its always rumbling at 3k rpm. bone stock everything.

sound is hard to describe, but its like a grrrr sound somewhere in 3k at any gear.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    baka mga support mo?:rock:

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by desert fox View Post
    baka mga support mo?:rock:
    supports dying so early... hmmm... darn

4. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    baka yung pulley mo or the tensioner sir?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Does it also occur when the car is not in gear (stationary then you rev it)? Can you isolate where it is coming from? Sometimes it can be something as simple as a loose screw, bracket or part in the engine bay that vibrates at a certain rpm.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    Does it also occur when the car is not in gear (stationary then you rev it)? Can you isolate where it is coming from? Sometimes it can be something as simple as a loose screw, bracket or part in the engine bay that vibrates at a certain rpm.
    this is also what i've been thinking of (possibility). i can't isolate to where its coming from, but its definitely from the engine itself. it gets along with the rev so i can say its the whole engine.

stationary (no load), i don't hear it, but when in gear (any gear), the drastic change in engine sound is very noticeable. if this were vvti-l, i would say its the "L", or the lift kicking in, but its not. i'm expecting a linear change in sound since its just vvti.

i don't hear this drastic change in sound in a 1.3 vvti (vios e). i doubt that its just because this a 2.0l vvti.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Iyung Innova ko naman naranasan ko rin ng rumbling sounds nung tumakbo ako ng 100 -110 kph sa SLEX. Naka 5th gear ako nun. Diko lang sure kung normal lang to kapag tumatakbo ka ng 100 kph?

8. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    just an update on this

for some reason, i filled up with total gas yesterday and i noticed that this sound disappeared. engine sound was smoother unlike before.

i use to fill up with petron when i hear this sound.

recalling what happened before when we went to subic, all we had was total to fill up with. after that, we used petron all the way.

i still feel this is not something objective though... makes a bit of sense, but not at all 100%

9. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    the rumbling sound that you are hearing might be "katok" sound. Are you using unleaded gas or the XCS from petron. I also experienced it in my Altis, but since i use XCS medyo nawala na sya. You might need to observe the gas that you are using.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    katok = ping? weird o2 sensor/ecu/injector can't cope

petron unleaded, shell unleaded, caltex silver = all sound the the same upon reaching 3k rpm

i filled up with total premier unleaded again this morning and the sound is gradual - the way i expected it... pity there are only a few total gas stations around

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
toyota vvt-i engine rumbling sound at 3k rpm (innova gas m/t)