New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto_minosa View Post
    ^Maybe it's because of the JDM-ASEANDM divide? ASEANDM Toyotas (or even other brands like Mitsubishi Thailand and Nissan Yulon) are generally subpar compared to JDM models. Also noticed that on the last-gen Altis, compared to our present car, the Innova. I think the designers of the ASEAN Toyotas were pressured to keep the cars' prices low, since the market won't afford better interiors which would cost more. But for the size, the Avanza's price is reasonable enough. El cheapo wouldn't mind getting a cheap interior in a cheap car.

But as a "Toyota" brand car, I would expect better quality & finish even if the car is a "cheap" car. I have seen better in Chinese branded cars. Couldn't Toyota do at least just as well?

As I have mentioned before, there should be a minimum level of quality & finish that Toyota should have given the Avanza, even if the car is (as you put it) an "El Cheapo".

2. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    What's nice about Toyota's cheapo models is you get a superior engine than the Chinese makes. I think the 1.5 vvti 1NZ-FE engine found in the Vios and Avanza is also used in the XB and Xa Scion models in the US. This engine has no reported sludge problems...
    Last edited by Monseratto; March 8th, 2010 at 12:42 PM.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The problem with the Avanza is that the APV is sold for the same price (base model is cheaper, actually) and has less rattles and buzzes. It feels like a more solid product. (although the Avanza has better front seats and drives better).

You can get solid products with ASEAN labor... what matters is the level of quality control at the factory and the amount of engineering that goes into each product. You can design cheap and yet still maintain good quality.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Ok naman 1.5L Avanza namin, sarap imaneho, lamig ng aircon di ko sinasagad, kasya pa 8 to 9 adults bilis pa ipark Fortuner 4x2 diesel ng friend ko ang nagkaproblema, humina daw yun hatak, pero inextend naman yung warranty nila Swerte swerte talaga, yung mga sasakyan ngayon e

5. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Djerms View Post
    El cheapo replacement parts don't last that long based on experience. Even toyota parts don't last that long.
    exactly... so "mas matibay ang toyota" doesn't really hold too much weight now, does it?

and toyota casa part prices are just the same with other car brands. lahat taga.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    What's good about Toyota parts is that its easier to find outside the casa than Hyundai or Honda. My brother's Ondoy Affected Innova G is already running unlike my friend's 4x2 Sta Fe.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ^Yup its still easier to find replacement parts outside but even replacement parts nowadays have degraded in quality that's why I now prefer OEMs specially for sensitive parts like that of the fuel system.

I experienced the gas leak problem in our 1.8 altis and I opted to just replace the whole tank since its safer (safety-one of the reasons why you buy toyota???). Since there is no replacement part for this (and I prolly wont get one if there is). I opted for the OEM which set me back 13k-ish direct from plant (casa sells it for 14k). This is without labor installation and refuelling.

Like the sludge problem...the abundance of replacement parts really wont help owners on this one....

8. Join Date
    May 2006
    As of now they're in the sh*ts pero, babawi yan, if these guys(the japs) clawed back from 2 atomic bombs to where they are now, I think this issue will be forgotten in 5 years time. Tapos toyota pa.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ^Yup babawi yan pero as a buyer, parang ang hirap bumili ng Toyota ngayon. Hehe.

Toyota is a big company and they will surely recover, specially if politicians in the US are stakeholders. Lol

10. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    I've been very critical of Toyota lately, mainly because of what seem to be ill-advised design and engineering choices.

Let's leave out the recent hullaballoo about Prius brakes and sticking accelerator pedals. Toyota has still had its share of "brain farts":

- Six or seven years after the GD Honda Jazz and City were released, I am disappointed at how Toyota never bothered to rival them in terms of liberating as much interior space as possible with the latest Yaris and Vios. They even harp about the Vios being "cosy" - I think that's marketing-speak for "sorry, rear headroom is at a premium."
    - For what are supposed to be 4x4s, the Hilux and Fortuner have ECU boxes that are mounted at a location particularly susceptible to water.
    - The D4D and oil sludge engine problems are serious issues; where's the remedy?

Make no mistake, Toyotas are still good. It's just that they're not as infallible as most Pinoys seem to think. I wonder what's going on in the upper echelons of the car company, as I still have belief in their ability to churn out reliable vehicles. As for whether they're desirable or fun to drive, well I think they're in the process of rediscovering that and I for one cannot wait until they get their 1980s-1990s mojo back.

Just my opinion.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
is toyota still a good car brand to own? is it still a good car company?