New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    to red orange:

thanks for the sound advice. you seem to be really knowledgeable on 4x4s.

jcc

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
    to red orange:

thanks for the sound advice. you seem to be really knowledgeable on 4x4s.

jcc
    Just something I learned when I got into off roading.

You don't want to buy a truck that was done by someone else unless you are sure of their work. You want to do the work yourself so when you breakdown off roading you can fix what ever breaks. Better to buy stock and wrench it yourself and learn, than to pay someone else to do it for you and have it break in the middle of no where and not know how to fix it. If you will be off roading things will always break because you puch the vehicle to it's limits. If it ain't breakin', you ain't tryin'. Remember 4x4=$x$.

Edit:
    You mentioned a vibration on the SR5 on higher speeds. The vehicle suspension(leaf spring) needs to be shimmed to put the drive shaft in the proper angle otherwise it will have that vibration at certain speeds.
    Last edited by redorange; October 24th, 2008 at 01:09 PM.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    "If it ain't breakin', you ain't tryin'. Remember 4x4=$x$"

hahaha. like i said, offroading is not really my main thing. i'm too much light on the pedal. could never make my vehicle scream.

just want a go anywhere vehicle with at least a "character" or "looks".

not planning on rock crawling, just a little bit of mud crawling when i have to go to my fish pond.

again, tnx. you have been very helpful.

ps. if you want to ask something about legal matters, i'd be happy to reciprocate.

jcc

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    ps. if you want to ask something about legal matters, i'd be happy to reciprocate.
    jcc
    Thanks for the offer but in Tsikot we help other members without expecting reciprocation.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by redorange View Post
    Thanks for the offer but in Tsikot we help other members without expecting reciprocation.
    i know that sir.

like you in the tsikot community, i regularly give free legal advice online (in sulit.com.ph) whenever i'm not busy. i'm known there as legalcounselonline.

information, in my opinion, should be free. it's the service that is not. hahaha

dredd007.blogspot.com

jcc

6. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Hi roadwarrior,

I'll insert my replies below:

if i replace the existing tires (36x12.5x15) with 31s, would the rig still look good? i have this fear that changing the tires to smaller sizes would make the rig look like it is on stilts.
    Come to think of it, now that I review your photos, you may be better of with 33x12.5xR15s since the 31s will look kinda puny with that lift on.

the upgrades that i saw were the
    1. tires (inteco ss) but half life already
    2. rims (american racing)
    3. shocks (sabi emu but not sure)
    4. snorkel
    Are you sure that the rims are original AR? They may be Japanese rims with just AR center caps. As for your shocks, are they yellow with OME decals? Make sure the seals at the junction points of your snorkel are still secure or else, water will enter through there.

my observation when i test drove the vehicle is that from the first gear to the third, parang normal lang. but starting on the fourth, this gets tricky as i can't seem to accelerate it faster than 60kph.

possible explanation (correct me if i'm misinformed)
    1. i have a light foot, can't abuse the vehicle too much, resulting in lower rpm
    2. the speedometer shows 60 but in reality it is faster than that because the speedometer is not accurate as it was reading based on smaller diametered wheels
    3. the rig needs regearing para maging low speed
    The torque of the diesels are found in the first three gears hence the oomph you get when you start off, after third gear, the torque curve tapers off to a plane as you are already at cruising speed at these gears.

Time your shifts properly so that you can maximize your torque per gear.

A light foot really isn't much of a factor since if you are not applying enough throttle, the vehicle would just plain stall.

The speedometer is off since you are already running big tires, I'm just not sure by how much.

Re-gearing is a band aid solution as you will loose some speed later on due to the different gear ratio. Go turbo.

the suspension was also not bad but there are vibrations upon reaching the higher speed.
    Check your underchasis parts if they are still ok. Check your rims and tires to see if they are still true.

i am also not a first time diesel driver. i've had a second generation strada (2000 model) which served me very well (i sold it after 160thousand kms and after 8 years of honest to goodness usage). i remember that old clunker was beautiful and speedy also (150 kph topspeed), that's why i was expecting the sr5 to at least approximate its performance less allowance for the huge tires. but sadly, not even close.
    Well, first of all, your Strada already has a turbo from the factory and the HiLux, as of this moment, does not (it is just NA). Also, the tire size you used on your Strada could have been stock while this HiLux has beefy tires. My rig, with 31" tires & no turbo, can reach 140 kph to about 150 kph when roads and speed limits permit it.

Hope this helps.

Best regards.

7. Join Date
    May 2007
    to v6dreamer:

thanks for the informative and very well detailed reply. so, if body lifting is easy, are you suggesting that i just look for a stock vehicle and body lift it rather than buy the vehicle pictured above?

as for your question. i just want a vehicle that does the job and looks good in the process. not monsterisque. capable but has identity.
    ot.

btw when i test drove the pictured sr5, the suspension seems to be fine, hindi naman matagtag so to speak. i was genuinely surprised because i was expecting the ride to be bone jarring. the seller said that (but he's not sure) the shocks are emu.

tnx sire

Im not sure the price back home, but a 675k 8 years old truck seem's like bit high. The only expensive parts for a lifted trucks are the fat tires and rims. Use RANCHO on shocks they are superior when it comes to lifted truck.
    If you put over sized tires on it however the speedometer will need adjustment.
    If the speedometer was adjusted to over sized tires and you use stock, you will be going much slower then you think.
    So find out what has been done before buying and just get the parts to match the changes (tires that match the calibration on the speedometer.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    to hardcharge and v6dreamer.

tnx for the replies. it's like i'm learning 4x4 101. with the opinions posted so far, the safer route it seems is to just find a bone stock vehicle and modify it slightly but not much. meaning at least slightly larger tires which the wheel wells could accomodate without modification.

so many decisions.

i like the bullet proof characteristics and high resale value of the hiluxes (but the sr5s seem to be underpowered?, the new one, too expensive for just a workhorse)

but i also prefer the ride and comfort provided by the stradas (whether 2nd gen or rise body). (but there seems to be issues as far as steering is concerned with the new strada?)

as far as torque and macho stance, the ranger seem to fit the bill but i'm not familiar with the suspension (is it bone-jarring?)(does it really deserve the low resale value? why?)

jcc

9. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    with the opinions posted so far, the safer route it seems is to just find a bone stock vehicle and modify it slightly but not much.
    Farm duties? how about this sir..P665,000 thousand
    http://tsikot.yehey.com/classifieds/...ct/54960/cat/6

10. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerbo View Post
    Farm duties? how about this sir..P665,000 thousand
    http://tsikot.yehey.com/classifieds/...ct/54960/cat/6
    tnx sir gerbo for the heads up. but i have never been a fan of isuzu pickups. my choice really boils down to strada, hilux and new ranger

jcc

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast