New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 200 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2005
    Isn't it that the RWD layout is beneficial to these types of vehicles? It would result to lighter steering and upward inclines wouldn't be much of a worry. A FWD layout for this type of vehicle isn't that desirable due to their long wheelbase.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    well, FWD may grant even more interior space by making a lower floor possible (this may make loading stuff into the cargo bay easier too), since there's no need for a prop shaft and rear diff and axle. it will also have better traction in slippery situations (on a wet road, but especially on a snowy or icy road).

on the other hand, RWD may mean more neutral handling and less understeer (because of more even weight distribution), but this isn't a given because RWDs may be tuned for understeer regardless.

that said, i dont think FWD/RWD matters too much for this van. it's already plenty big enough inside as it is, so the packaging advantages of FWD aren't as useful for an application like this. and you won't exactly be driving this van like a race car right hehe (save for emergency situations where rear wheel-drive may mean more agility).

biggest downside to this all-new Grandia, imo, is the lack of folding, sliding, tumbling, or easily-removable seats. it's 2005 already hehe, seats should be 2005-smart :D

3. Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by mbt
    ...biggest downside to this all-new Grandia, imo, is the lack of folding, sliding, tumbling, or easily-removable seats. it's 2005 already hehe, seats should be 2005-smart :D
    The best seating configuration for me so far is that of the Kia Pregio GS, all bench type fully reclining (parang kang may kama) and folding 4th row seat for increased cargo space.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    mukhang value for money ito if for hauling a bunch of people or family around...hmmm oks to pang kasalan hehe

5. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    So nilagyan ng ABS at dual airbags ang Hi Ace.Pero i hate talaga yung seats,ginaya yung sa Urvan Estate at medyo mahina yung makina lalo na medyo mabigat ang Hi Ace ngayon.may Super Grandia na parating pero baka next year pa raw.So far mag Pregio o Urvan Estate nalang kayo.Mukhang ambulance ang Hi ace parin(BAKIT KAYA?).

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelparadigm
    Isn't it that the RWD layout is beneficial to these types of vehicles? It would result to lighter steering and upward inclines wouldn't be much of a worry. A FWD layout for this type of vehicle isn't that desirable due to their long wheelbase.
    Lighter steering is the job of the powersteering system. The system can be tuned to deliver the desired weight.

Upward inclines are not a problem since most of the vehicle's weight (nearly 60% in the MB100, I think) is sitting on the drive wheels.

U.S. minivans have a longer wheelbase than the MB100 whose wheelbase is similar to a compact sedan (the long overhangs just make it look long) and yet they use front-drive.

In any case, the FWD layout does reward you with a lower step-in height, less driveline noise (though the noisy flywheel does seem to cancel this) and less loss of power as it is transmitted to the driveline (more hp actually reaches the wheels).

Fitting non-folding rear seats is kinda stupid, though. Maybe Toyota can refit the base model's folding rear seats for customers who want a folding rear seat. Nissan allows you to exercise this option for their Urvan Grand Estate models.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Sana maging available option ito:

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    galing ah! napagkasiya nila yung CR dyan! astig. Sana nga may mga ganyan din dito!

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    nakupo, baka ang bantot/baho niyan sa loob kapag gamitin yung protalet na yan hehehe

10. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP
    Sana maging available option ito:

astig!

Toyota Hiace Commuter/GL Grandia/Super Grandia Owners & Discussions Thread [Merged]