New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    i'm planning to buy a toyota corolla liftback. i've always been a mitsu guy. well anywayz, the corolla that i am planning to buy still has a stock engine (i think its a 2T engine). what i want to know is what would be a good engine upgrade for this car? m looking to transplant it with a 4age or 4agze. what i want to know is if i would be able to use the existing tranny or would i need to buy a new tranny. another thing i want to know is what would be the other engines that would fit the car, preferably 1 that has a bolt on turbo upgrade & lsd. if possible, do you have any idea on the price range for the engine.

thanks sa lahat ng mga magrereply!!! more power!!!

2. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    it's certainly a good project car platform, but it's age is really really showing na. are we talking about the late 70s or early 80s corollas here? or the levin types?

most engine swaps done today are for FF cars. your target corolla is FR? you must have a very very good mechanic, and money to back you up.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic1
    i'm planning to buy a toyota corolla liftback. i've always been a mitsu guy. well anywayz, the corolla that i am planning to buy still has a stock engine (i think its a 2T engine). what i want to know is what would be a good engine upgrade for this car? m looking to transplant it with a 4age or 4agze. what i want to know is if i would be able to use the existing tranny or would i need to buy a new tranny. another thing i want to know is what would be the other engines that would fit the car, preferably 1 that has a bolt on turbo upgrade & lsd. if possible, do you have any idea on the price range for the engine.

thanks sa lahat ng mga magrereply!!! more power!!!
    Which Liftback are you talking about?
    The RWD TE72 Corolla 2-door Liftback (it actually a 3-door LB)

or the rarer FWD AE82 Corolla 4-door Liftback (it actually a 5-door LB)

I think these were the only Liftback Corollas sold here. The FWD AE82 is rare because Toyota pulled out of the country in 1984.

Toyota's 124hp 1587 cc 16-valve Twin-Cam 4A-GE engine which first appeared in the RWD AE86 Sprinter Trueno and Corolla Levin was later used for sporty FWD Corollas and the mid-engine 1st gen MR2, so I guess this can be an option.
    The supercharged 4A-GZE only appeared in the mid-engine MR2 and FWD Corollas, but being a 4A-GE engine it should be compatible with the RWD platforms.
    Last edited by AG4; May 3rd, 2006 at 04:39 AM.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    well, i'm talking about the te72 model yata(not sure about the body model)... late 70's or early 80's... yung 2dr liftback na FR.

mga sirs, ano pang other engines pwede, preferably yung madali lang mahanap sa evang or banawe. pati parts na rin sana madaling hanapin.

thanks n more hps!!!

5. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    2T-G. Old School. Or yung lumang 4A-GEU. Kaso luma na rin yun.

Actually kaya naman yung mga bagong 4A-GE or 4A-GZE, but like they said, these are for FWD cars, and much is needed to configure it for RWD. (Though I heard Fil Gulfin has done some. Look up Gulfspeed in Anonas.) Being RWD, you may need a different tranny all together. I have seen a 4A-GE on a yellow 70's Sprinter in Quezon so it is not impossible.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by the_wildthing
    2T-G. Old School. Or yung lumang 4A-GEU. Kaso luma na rin yun.

Actually kaya naman yung mga bagong 4A-GE or 4A-GZE, but like they said, these are for FWD cars, and much is needed to configure it for RWD. (Though I heard Fil Gulfin has done some. Look up Gulfspeed in Anonas.) Being RWD, you may need a different tranny all together.
    Here's a TE72 Corolla Liftback with a 16-valve Twin-Cam 4A-GE from an AE86.

The 16-valve Twin-Cam 4A-GE engine was first used in the RWD AE86 which had a similar platform to the older TE72 Corolla Liftback.

Of course the 4A-GE engine should come along with a 5-speed gearbox too, I think the Corolla Liftbacks here only had 4-speed transmissions.

Here's a RWD AE86 Trueno with the newer 20-valve "silver top" 4A-GE engine.

I guess the question is where to buy one and how much.
    Last edited by AG4; May 4th, 2006 at 05:50 AM.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    No, our TE72 came with a 5-gear transmission.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravoexo
    No, our TE72 came with a 5-gear transmission.
    Thats good.
    Do you know the transmission model of the 5-speed M/T in your TE72?

I read somewhere that both the K-50 and T-50 5-speed M/T can be paired to the 4AGE engine.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Sorry, nope, never inquired on that before.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    AG4, that's the old 4A-GE on the AE86. Sabi ko yung bagong 4A-GE and GZE pang FWD na.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Toyota Corolla Liftback