New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto
    The silver one is US specs. Not sure if the RP model has the same....

Add: I've test-driven the Corolla XRS with 170hp. It had to be driven hard to get the full power, though. But, the build and finish quality is typical Toyota excellent quality.
    Well, what do you expect from an XRS with ONLY 125ft-lb torque?! :evillaugh And by the way, the full 170hp doesnt kick in until 7600rpm. Off the line, it wont feel as powerful as 170hp due to mediocre torque. See the problem with most n00bs, they look at HP numbers without paying close attention to which rpm level the max HP is achieved. To add, n00bs doesnt look at torque numbers when buying or comparing a car and they expect to feel the hmmpf off the line.

ON TOPIC:

Mas maganda pa ang grill sa Pinas kaysa US version ah...ayos!

2. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    good point there karding. :D

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto
    The red USDM XRS also has black grills. Maybe only the silver one has chrome grills.
    The silver car you posted isnt the XRS, it's just an S version in the US.

The PhDM Corolla/Altis S has a mesh type grill as opposed to the regular grill that USDM has. PhDM grill is more sporty IMHO than the USDM version.

look closely and compare this to the pic to the PhDM version.

"Chrome Grill Surround" is standard on all trim in USDM except the XRS.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    May nakita akong ganyan nung isang araw, maganda sya.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    We need an all new model. Not skirts and chins and stuff.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Dressed-up 1.6J? That means it doesn't even have ABS. It should also have been dropped by at least an inch.

In the first place, they should have offered that trim with at least the 1.8-liter engine paired with a manual gearbox, plus 2 airbags and disc brakes at the back. Better yet, bring in the real deal (XRS)!

And oh, I kinda fell in love with that color. Is that fuchsia metallic/mica?
    Last edited by squala; January 26th, 2006 at 02:13 AM.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Karding
    The silver car you posted isnt the XRS, it's just an S version in the US.

The PhDM Corolla/Altis S has a mesh type grill as opposed to the regular grill that USDM has. PhDM grill is more sporty IMHO than the USDM version.

"Chrome Grill Surround" is standard on all trim in USDM except the XRS.

Ok. It was kind of hard to see the grill on the PHDM until I loaded it up on Paintshop Pro and zoomed in. Yup. It does look better. The dealership where I test-drove the XRS had several silver S models at the lot. I pretty much assumed they were the same as the XRS. Whoops.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Karding
    Well, what do you expect from an XRS with ONLY 125ft-lb torque?! :evillaugh And by the way, the full 170hp doesnt kick in until 7600rpm. Off the line, it wont feel as powerful as 170hp due to mediocre torque. See the problem with most n00bs, they look at HP numbers without paying close attention to which rpm level the max HP is achieved. To add, n00bs doesnt look at torque numbers when buying or comparing a car and they expect to feel the hmmpf off the line.

ON TOPIC:

Mas maganda pa ang grill sa Pinas kaysa US version ah...ayos!
    OT:
    I agree, what with that tiny 1.8L, NA engine. The dealer beside me kept egging me on to push the rpms up. The 06 Sonata I test-drove that same day with the bigger 3.3L V6 had the bulk of its 226 lb-ft of torque at the lower powerbands. It's almost like a V8 off the line by comparison.

But back to the Altis...
    It's a nice car perfectly suited for driving conditions in the Philippines. It's roomy and quite comfy for a compact. My wife said it's just the right size for her compared to the other compact 4-cylinder cars we test drove (Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, Mazda3, Mazda5 mini-minivan, Hyundai Elantra). Of course I didn't. But if I had agreed, we would've driven home in an XRS that day.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    them is puny rims :D

they should have put bigger rims and a sportier and lower suspension
    Got Mazda?-http://www.MAZDAtech.org [SIZE="1"]est. 2000[/SIZE]
    got mazda 2? -> mazda2ners

10. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Puny is right.

17"s ang kailangan ng Altis tapos konting drop. Sobrang taas.

Samahan na rin nila ng mas malakas na makina hehehe

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
The Toyota Corolla Altis S