New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Hello Sirs,

Good day po sa inyong lahat! Hihingi lang po sana ako ng recommendations regarding po sa pag palit ng worn out power steering assembly ng Toyota lovelife ko po. What would you recommend po?
    1. Replacing it with a surplus unit?
    2. Replacing it with a brand new / replacement unit but made in Taiwan?
    3. Where can I get a good and reliable surplus unit?
    4. Where can I get a good deal on a replacement / OEM unit?

Thank you po. All your recommendations will be highly appreciated.

Joeyvhoi

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    my two reasons for settling for surplus:
    1. there's no other choice; and
    2. i like to gamble, and i feel lucky today (because i counted six shots, and your revolver has 6 chambers.. heh heh). meaning, someone i trust, examined/inspected the unit in question..
    Last edited by dr. d; March 1st, 2014 at 10:39 AM.

3. Join Date
    May 2008
    the power steering pump has an OEM repair kit. but it depends on the condition of the pump shaft and housing. any pitting or scratches and it will eventually leak and loose pressure. same thing with the power steering rack box. personally, a brand new mechanical or electrical replacement part is better than an 15 year old oem part.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I would go with replacing with a surplus unit (if need be) and repairing/overhauling with a OEM repair kit.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Noted po sir dr. d.

Would you know po where to get a good working surplus power steering assembly?

Thank you po sa response.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Thank you po sa recommendation Sir vinj.

I had the power steering assembly inspected pero may tama na po daw ung rack. Meron na po syang gasgas. Ginawan po ng paraan at napalitan na ren po ng seals using a replacement repair kit. Ang sabi po ng mekaniko tatagal lang po ng ilang linggo but sinuwerte pa ren po na tumagal sya ng 3 buwan. That's why ngaun po im opting to replace the whole thing na po.

Thank you po.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Grateful for your response Sir goldrat.

But do you think a Taiwan made replacement power steering assembly would last longer than the OEM surplus unit? So far the only available part that I see out there is the taiwan replacement unit.

I made some phone calls and the price range for the surplus unit is from P7,500 to 8k including P1,200 labor. The taiwan made replacement is around P9,500 excluding labor.

Right now I am torn between getting a surplus and generic unit. What matters I guess is which of the two will I get a greater value for my money.

Thank you once again.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyvhoi View Post
    Noted po sir dr. d.

Would you know po where to get a good working surplus power steering assembly?

Thank you po sa response.
    i do, but it's still connected to my car. heh heh.
    good luck.

by golly, mayroon ka na palang karanasan... at 'kala ko baguhan ka... then i suggest you get a new one. there's no guarantee that lightning will strike the same person only once... buying surplus is always a gamble..

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I read before that someone tried a Taiwan replacement rack on his car and when it had problems, he couldn't find a kit to repair it unlike with an OEM one.

Best to go to Banawe, park somewhere safe and walk door-to-door to inquire about the surplus rack. Your mechanic may have a source as well.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    be sure to look for US surplus units (if available) to make sure that the rack n pinion is for left hand drive. japan surplus parts or most of them are from a right hand drive car.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Toyota Corolla 98 Power steering replacement