New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Sir / Ma'am, just want to clarify things below, Im new on AT and in EFI engine, my questions are:

1. should I remain my rpm to 2,000 only to get best FC?
    2. turning off O/D will have better FC?
    3. if im on a stop and go situation, should I shift from D to N? or remain to D?
    4. do i need to warm up my car before using?
    5. whats the best engine oil should I use? Im eyeing for Toyota motor Oil 20w 50 or Mobil special 20w50.
    6. for radiator - premixed coolant or pure distilled water?

Thank you for your inputs

2. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    My thoughts on your query:

1. should I remain my rpm to 2,000 only to get best FC? - 2000 to 2500 is OK. Also, gentle press on the pedal helps save fuel.
    2. turning off O/D will have better FC?- You should turn your O/D ON to have a better fuel consumption. Also, it will eliminate engine over-running. Maximizing your gears is the way to go, unless you need more power, like during overtaking
    3. if im on a stop and go situation, should I shift from D to N? or remain to D? Shifting to Neutral during LONG stop/idle is a must to preserve your transmission, as well as to lessen the stress in your engine. But very short stop and go, say every 10 secs, you better off by staying in D.
    4. do i need to warm up my car before using? 1 to 2 minutes of warm-up will do
    5. whats the best engine oil should I use? Im eyeing for Toyota motor Oil 20w 50 or Mobil special 20w50. Both are good. Just make sure you change oil and filter every 5K kms
    6. for radiator - premixed coolant or pure distilled water? Premixed coolant is way better than distilled water

3. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jvnj View Post
    My thoughts on your query:

1. should I remain my rpm to 2,000 only to get best FC? - 2000 to 2500 is OK. Also, gentle press on the pedal helps save fuel.
    2. turning off O/D will have better FC?- You should turn your O/D ON to have a better fuel consumption. Also, it will eliminate engine over-running. Maximizing your gears is the way to go, unless you need more power, like during overtaking
    3. if im on a stop and go situation, should I shift from D to N? or remain to D? Shifting to Neutral during LONG stop/idle is a must to preserve your transmission, as well as to lessen the stress in your engine. But very short stop and go, say every 10 secs, you better off by staying in D.
    4. do i need to warm up my car before using? 1 to 2 minutes of warm-up will do
    5. whats the best engine oil should I use? Im eyeing for Toyota motor Oil 20w 50 or Mobil special 20w50. Both are good. Just make sure you change oil and filter every 5K kms
    6. for radiator - premixed coolant or pure distilled water? Premixed coolant is way better than distilled water
    Thank you sir for your inputs im only using my O/D on highways/expressways, with that i'll turn it ON regularly. Im warming up my Car for about 15 mins until rpm goes normally

4. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    15 min warmup is a big waste of gas, and doesn't really warm your car up.

That's like playing basketball, but only warming up by sitting on the sidelines. The only time you really get warmed up is if you start with light shooting, with a bit of jogging.

For your car, it gets warmed up by running the engine for about 30 sec to a minute, then driving the first km or so lightly (no hard revving, light pressure on the pedal).

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    15 min warmup is a big waste of gas, and doesn't really warm your car up.

That's like playing basketball, but only warming up by sitting on the sidelines. The only time you really get warmed up is if you start with light shooting, with a bit of jogging.

For your car, it gets warmed up by running the engine for about 30 sec to a minute, then driving the first km or so lightly (no hard revving, light pressure on the pedal).

Thank you Sir Jut, does it mean is it okay to run the engine even if its not in normal operating temperature and RPM is a bit high than normal, lets say RPM for newly start is at 1100 and normal is 900. I just got the idea from internet that an AT car needs to warm up to avoid "tirik" daw, that's why im practicing it since I acquired the car

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by d'flash View Post
    Thank you Sir Jut, does it mean is it okay to run the engine even if its not in normal operating temperature and RPM is a bit high than normal, lets say RPM for newly start is at 1100 and normal is 900. I just the idea from internet that an AT car needs to warm up to avoid "tirik" daw, that's why im practicing it since I acquired the car
    The rpm is higher because the engine is trying to get into its optimal operating temperature even if it's just idle. It's not as effective as getting to the optimal operating temperature by actually driving.

If you want your AT to last longer, just replace your ATF at proper intervals (every 40k kms or whatever your manual specifies).

7. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    The rpm is higher because the engine is trying to get into its optimal operating temperature even if it's just idle. It's not as effective as getting to the optimal operating temperature by actually driving.

If you want your AT to last longer, just replace your ATF at proper intervals (every 40k kms or whatever your manual specifies).
    Noted Sir Jut, already changed my ATF together with the belts. By the way Sir, my 1st mechanic put Petron M040 on my engine, im using it for more than 1200kms, and i want it to change ASAP.

what will be the best option:
    Pertua Apex 15w50? or
    Mobil special 20w50 or the
    Toyota Engine Oil 20w50?

Some says, it would be great if ill add some so called "additives" to engine oil? pertua brand to be exact.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Any 20W-50 mineral oil will do as long as you have regular oil change intervals every 5000 km.

For my old car ('04 Mazda 3), I use 5W-40 synthetic oil and replace every 10,000 km.

Additives are unnecessary as well. The oil that you put in already has additives in it.