New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Greetings Toyota Tsikot

I'm a city boy all my life but i will be starting on farming in the province soon. I would like to buy and restore a Landcruiser 40 series. I need a 100% reliable war car that can take on floods, rough terrain, with good fuel efficiency.

Basically i would like an LC40 diesel that can wade chest-deep flood water, with a snorkel, lifted, big wheels, and could do 9 to 11 KM per Liter mixed city and highway driving. is this possible?

What maximum speed can i expect at top gear 2000rpms? 60 to 70km/hour?

I don't know anything about the LC 40 or water wading or off roading so if you could help, it would be great to get advice.

1) Is the LC 40 diesel variant all-time 4 wheel drive or can it shift between 4WD and 2WD and back?

2) Can it handle waist high to chest high floods if properly set up?

3) aside from installing an air intake snorkel, what other mods or sealing should be done to make deep floods no problem?

4) In flood wading, am i supposed to be concerned about the tail pipe? should it be modded/ adjusted/ repositioned for the exhaust?

5) can the B diesel engine become turbo charged or have intercooler?

6) to lift it, is a suspension kit and big wheel mags enough? Or are there other kits to add?

7) Will it be easy to spot if the chassis has been compromised and easily repaired/ strengthened if needed?

8) also i am 6 feet tall, will i fit in the lc40? are the seats adjustable or can i install bucket seats for more legroom?

9) finally what are the common "illnesses" and problems with the LC40?

A lot of questions, i know. But i'm serious about finding and restoring an LC40 if it will be sure to meet my needs after mods.

Thank you in advance everyone!

2. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Samubear View Post
    Greetings Toyota Tsikot

I'm a city boy all my life but i will be starting on farming in the province soon. I would like to buy and restore a Landcruiser 40 series. I need a 100% reliable war car that can take on floods, rough terrain, with good fuel efficiency.

Basically i would like an LC40 diesel that can wade chest-deep flood water, with a snorkel, lifted, big wheels, and could do 9 to 11 KM per Liter mixed city and highway driving. is this possible?

I don't know anything about the LC 40 or water wading or off roading so if you could help, it would be great to get advice.

1) Is the LC 40 diesel variant all-time 4 wheel drive or can it shift between 4WD and 2WD and back?

3) aside from installing an air intake snorkel, what other mods or sealing should be done to make deep floods no problem?

4) In flood wading, am i supposed to be concerned about the tail pipe? should it be modded/ adjusted/ repositioned for the exhaust?

6) to lift it, is a suspension kit and big wheel mags enough? Or are there other kits to add?

7) Will it be easy to spot if the chassis has been compromised and easily repaired/ strengthened if needed?

8) also i am 6 feet tall, will i fit in the lc40? are the seats adjustable or can i install bucket seats for more legroom?

A lot of questions, i know. But i'm serious about finding and restoring an LC40 if it will be sure to meet my needs after mods.

Thank you in advance everyone!
    For me anything and everything land cruiser you should go to kanzen in banawe and ask Robert . lc 80 owner here

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004

If I recall right, somewhere there. Been a long time.

It can.

Yes.

The easiest would be to increase the ride height.

No.

Anything is possible with money. Would make more sense, however, to install a newer, more powerful engine than to monkey around with it

Not quite sure. Many people just do the lift and add mud tires. You can, of course, go for fancy shocks, additional stabilizers and etcetera, but that's all up to you.

Assume that the corrosion is there. These things are very, very old.

You should fit.

Age. Very hard finding one in good condition, and trim parts are hard to get.

-

The LC40 is a great piece of nostalgia, and even without extensive modification, it's capable (locking hubs, good low range, good clearance and articulation), but the engine is pretty weak (compared to the weight of the car), the lack of power steering makes it a pig to drive in traffic or parking lots, and, being an old car, it is only as reliable as you can afford to make it (ergo... get ready to put in a lot of work).

I love them, but if you're looking for a war car, maybe a modified Hilux or something else would do you better.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Get a proper suspension lift. One that restores steering geometry and caster angles back to normal. A lot of cheap backyard suspension stuff can compromise driveablity and safety. You'll know caster is way off if the steering feels darty.

Was looking to get one a few years ago. However, it's not so comfortable to use if you don't have an alternate vehicle.

I agree with niky on the Hilux. Especially the 96 or earlier models which still had a leaf spring front suspension.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Isa pang sakit ng Land Cruiser: mahal (even if you're looking for a 30-40 year old unit, the nice ones will go for over 300K).

I'd also go for the Hilux based on what your needs are. It will accomplish the same and give you better creature comforts over the 40 series. If you find a nice 40 series with a fair price and good condition, go for it nonetheless. Kahit apo mo, magagamit pa rin yan. :D

6. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Thank you sirs winnifred, niky, otp and vinj!

I think I in fact am moving toward a hilux cause i read in a few posts that the LC40 ride isnt for everyday use. They suggest it as a weekend car only. And then if you dont get a good unit, the doors rattle etc.

I've been doing a bit of research like sir Otep mentioned 1995 or older, this would be the 5th gen hilux n50 and older right? Would it be crucial to pick a hilux without an ecu computer box? If so, then i guess i should narrow my options down to n50 or n40? someone once told me old deisel pickups eventually end finding it difficult to go over 60km/hour on the highway at 2000 revs/minute? is this true? or does his pajero just need engine overhaul or calibration?

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Either the N50 (1995 - 1997) or N60 variants (1998 to 2003/04?) are fine. Main difference is the front coils on the newer N60. We had an N50 before and the ride was on the harsh side but we loved the wash and wear attributes (no carpeting) and i'm sure some suspension mods would tame the ride. As for performance, this does pretty well driving at 60 to 100kph on the highway. Don't expect much overtaking but it will get you to your destination and a well kept unit shouldnt be a smoker.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    LN106 solid axles pa. LN166 independent front suspension pa. Super mahal pa ng LN106/166 for its age. yan yung indestructible hilux ng Top Gear UK. Wanted one before hehe

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

9. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Thanks Vinj and Crazy boy. I'm sold on searching for a hilux then! But right now,

SIGNIFICANT TURN OF EVENTS! My uncle can give me his old pajero if i want it.

Its gen 2.5 2800 intercooler 4M40. Problem is it has A/T and it is 4x2 only. Can this still be modded for bigwheels?
    I won't go off roading. Just some rough terrain and I want it flood worthy.

Can an A/t 4x2 be efficient with a lift, big wheels, and snorkel?

Uncle can't describe it, but where would the ECU be on a paj like that? Can it be water/flood proofed?

If so, then I might not have to look for an LC40 or a hilux LN106 or 166 yet. Maybe in the future when i turn a profit from my farming!

10. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Walang ECU ang gen2.5 na 4x2 pajero. I drive the same car, and went offroad with it before. I'll post pictures of it when i get the chance. Kasabayan ko nung offroad mga GQ patrol and LN106 hilux.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
A ton of Landcruiser 40 series questions from a novice looking to mod one.