New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Hi to all,

I am novice with toyota but have done some DIY on my late nissan car. Medyo wala po kc akong maktang diagram on the net for timing alignment ng corolla (5speed 12Valve 1300cc). need ko po ung pano iset timing sprocket and main shaft, distributor positioning. Dun sa timing sprocket I'm at lost dalawa kc butas. too advance po ung sa timing light (about 20btdc, no vacuum, idle speed) pro pag binaba timing to required 10 deg btdc, e nachope.

Please help
    Thanks in advance

2. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by avs View Post
    Hi to all,

I am novice with toyota but have done some DIY on my late nissan car. Medyo wala po kc akong maktang diagram on the net for timing alignment ng corolla (5speed 12Valve 1300cc). need ko po ung pano iset timing sprocket and main shaft, distributor positioning. Dun sa timing sprocket I'm at lost dalawa kc butas. too advance po ung sa timing light (about 20btdc, no vacuum, idle speed) pro pag binaba timing to required 10 deg btdc, e nachope.

Please help
    Thanks in advance

avs,
    if your car is equipped with a tercel engine (usa) with twelve valve, there is a notch on the main timing belt pulley on the crankshaft and a corresponding protrusion ( about the size of a sesame seed) on the oil pump cover. these two have to align. on the camshaft pulley, there is a hole on the spoke of the the pulley which is supposed to line up with a dimple on the pressed steel timing belt cover behind it. if you are not certain as you have mentioned there are two holes, remove the valve cover and verify if the two intake valve rocker arms and the exhaust valve rocker arm have clearance (signifying top dead center-power stroke on cylinder number 1). this will do the job. then do the igntion timing adjustment as specified.
    jick

3. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    I'll keep you posted with the progress. thanks.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Now my car is in great running condition! thanks Jick; only with the addition that the timing cam sprocket positioning should be based on "2E" hole" not the other "1E" hole. with crankshaft at 0 BTDC, set the camshaft "2E hole" 2 teeth advance clockwise with reference from top vertical axis. (don't know if it depends on the engine installed, mine was 2E based on CR's engine #) :-). Thanks again

timing alignment for corolla 91 need help