New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    planning to get a Tamaraw Fx Wagon type. id like to know what are the trim levels for this model? I only know that they come in either 5k?7k gas engines or 2C diesel engines. Also when choosing one, can you give me specific tips? should i go for diesel or gas? thanks

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I'm willing to bet that most with the 2C engines have already been swapped out to a 2L turbo version or 2.4L version. It's been known to be a "disposable" engine before AFAIK.

Kung gas, go for the 7K.

On trim levels, in on remember the "standard" (base model with steel rims, bench seats and half-cut stepboards) and the GL (with hub caps, full step boards/body cladding and better seats).

3. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    I'm willing to bet that most with the 2C engines have already been swapped out to a 2L turbo version or 2.4L version. It's been known to be a "disposable" engine before AFAIK.

I'm still using my GL 1997 2C engine, and it has been overhauled already; 2 yrs. ago. (oversized piston ring), and still going strong

Pros: fuel economy!
    Cons: mausok if you don't maintain properly

*poorprince
    basa ka rin sa grupo tamaraw

4. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Trim levels have already been discussed by Sir Vinj, though the GL variant comes with mag wheels. I suggest you go with the GL variant as it already has a power steering, as well as other amenities not found in the standard or deluxe variant. Inside and out, mas lamang sa looks and comfort (fabic seats, well cladded interior, separate driver's seat, stepboard, etc) ang GL. I've owned both the diesel and gas variant, ngayon naka Gas 7k naman ako, and its with me for two years now. Hindi ko sana bibitawan yung diesel dahil mas malayong matipid ito as compared to the gas, kaya lang minalas yata ako at di nagtagal yung makina ng nakuha ko, nagka-signs kaagad ng loose compression after a year of use. I guess the best variant that suits your needs is an FX GL Diesel, it is better looking, more comfier as discussed above and way more economical in terms of fuel consumption. Just make sure you check the engine (no signs of loose compression and leaks) and body panels (without rust).

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    No idea on those FX's ........... but just don't get one that was used as a taxi before.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    thanks! did some backreading on the extensive info posted on grupo tamaraw. i learned that there are 3 variants, Standard, Deluxe and GL. Hoping to get a GL Diesel which seems to be the best. There are FXs with stripes/decals, is the standard trim the only one without this?

7. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Im not very sure with this, though my FX deluxe 96 before had decals, while most standard FX (1995 and below) Ive seen don't have decals. The only variant I'm sure which comes with decals is the GL variant. Ow, before I forget, make sure you check all doors and door hinges for signs of loose and misalignment. Most FX's used as taxis have them . Goodluck on your hunt Sir!

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Flipo View Post
    I'm still using my GL 1997 2C engine, and it has been overhauled already; 2 yrs. ago. (oversized piston ring), and still going strong

Pros: fuel economy!
    Cons: mausok if you don't maintain properly

*poorprince
    basa ka rin sa grupo tamaraw
    I'll guess that's it's mainly due to abuse. We had a FX na FB type years ago in our farm and it still had the 2C engine. The only thing though was that it did not have an A/C and it was always highway driven so i was guessing the engine was not as stressed. The one my Tito used for his business kicked the bucket after three years.

There was a Deluxe model with decals AFAIk; this was released before the end of the FX life. If you can find a unit with the side decals intact then there's a big possibility na orignal paint pa rin siya.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by poorprince View Post
    thanks! did some backreading on the extensive info posted on grupo tamaraw. i learned that there are 3 variants, Standard, Deluxe and GL. Hoping to get a GL Diesel which seems to be the best. There are FXs with stripes/decals, is the standard trim the only one without this?
    yung GL ko may decal, pero nung pina repaint ko di ko na ibinalik dahil mahal. 6.000 pesos at that time nung itanong ko sa casa

10. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    thanks for the replies. it seems that there are more gas units than diesel available. hows the fuel economy.of the gas units? hope its not a gas guzzler... ;)

sent from Cherry Mobile Omega HD using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast