New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    hi guys, my dad a 2nd. hand car to replace the tough running FX. though this one has more than double the mileage. it is ways leagues much better in over-all refinement. in things like All power + SunRoof and A/T, 4x4. do have some problems though like front tires uneven wear, not strong enough AC etc, and how to use the 4WD? what are the limits in speed of the 4L or 4H? would be happy to know if there are other Subic Hilux owners out there. or can anyone let me the link of other similar threads. thanks in advance.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    you don't ever need to engage the 4wd on concrete roads. if your hi lux' 4x4 is part time 4wd system, never ever engage it on concrete roads. mapupudpod axle gears nun sa front wheel. and you don't really need 4x4 sa daily driving. lalakas lang consumption mo sa fuel. you will only need 4x4 on muddy roads, loose gravel, pulling trailers on dirt roads, inclines, basta abnormal situations lang. yung 4L setting ginagamit lang pag pulling trailers, pulling out of sticky, muddy roads on inclines. BOTTOMLINE: STAY ON 2H. Yung mga soft raoders like CRV, escape, outlander, rav4, pang snow and heavy rains lang yung 4x4 system nila. usually called all wheel drive or full time system - not for serious off roading. i believe yung hilux surf system is for offroading - part time with 4L.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by toyboxph
    you don't ever need to engage the 4wd on concrete roads. if your hi lux' 4x4 is part time 4wd system, never ever engage it on concrete roads. mapupudpod axle gears nun sa front wheel. and you don't really need 4x4 sa daily driving. lalakas lang consumption mo sa fuel. you will only need 4x4 on muddy roads, loose gravel, pulling trailers on dirt roads, inclines, basta abnormal situations lang. yung 4L setting ginagamit lang pag pulling trailers, pulling out of sticky, muddy roads on inclines. BOTTOMLINE: STAY ON 2H. Yung mga soft raoders like CRV, escape, outlander, rav4, pang snow and heavy rains lang yung 4x4 system nila. usually called all wheel drive or full time system - not for serious off roading. i believe yung hilux surf system is for offroading - part time with 4L.

thanks ToBoxPH. can u let me know the recommended max. speed for each say 4L & 4H? eg. what if ur' threading up Baguio and its raining so the road is really slick. isn't it safer to use 4H mode?

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    it varies from vehicle to vehicle (re: max speed for 4H and 4L). you can just "feel" when the engine's speed is fast already for a given gear. just like when shifting on 2H.

you can use 4h and 4L, as long as you have manual locking hubs and it is set on free, on concrete roads. other than that, there will be parts that will be damaged.

going up baguio, you can put it in 4H, but don't lock the front hubs. baka lalo ka lang madulas. delikado. you can even put it in 4L pag di kaya umakyat. para more torque.

just remember, when on paved roads, always set front locking hubs to free. when you have an automatic kind. disregard everything i said. you must not use your 4H and 4L on paved roads.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tebs
    just remember, when on paved roads, always set front locking hubs to free. when you have an automatic kind. disregard everything i said. you must not use your 4H and 4L on paved roads.
    sori more questions (i'm a newbie on 4WD vehicles), so since its Automatic transmission there's no front locking hubs?

hubs are independent of the tranny..

pag auto-locking, ung front hub is either may nakasulat ng "auto-free hub" basta wala kang iikutin sa center ng front tires..other wise its a manual locking hubs...

coming from sa delica with auto-free hubs, ang disadvantage nga is the "binding" when in 4-wheel mode...theres no way of having 2L in a vehicle with auto-lock hubs... now that nga the advantage of the manual hubs

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    try to look at your front tires. sa gitna ng wheels mo, tingnan mo kung may parang knob or switch dun na nakasulat- "free" and "lock"

pag wala, and may cover lang dun, most probably, you have an automatic locking hubs.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tebs
    try to look at your front tires. sa gitna ng wheels mo, tingnan mo kung may parang knob or switch dun na nakasulat- "free" and "lock"

pag wala, and may cover lang dun, most probably, you have an automatic locking hubs.
    i can't see anything written something like "free or lock".

basta pag may pwedeng maikot sa hubs mo, isa lang ibig sabihin nyan: manual hubs yan...

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    pag wala, automatic hubs yan. don't use your 4H and 4L on concrete. you can only use it sa mga dusty, muddy, rocky/pebbly, grassy and other less traction surfaces.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Subic Hilux Surf