New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Hi guys! Need your honest opinion, pros and cons, postivie and negative comments on my day dreaming plan to sell/swap my 2005 Altis 1.6E A/T for a 1994-1997 Nissan Safari.

I understand its like comparing apples to coconuts, maintenance costs are different....and it really is up to me to decide. I just want to hear and get your advise and comments.

I already took my Altis to a 3 day, 950kms + road trip from Paranaque to Subic, Zambales, Clark, Tarlac, Manaoag, Alaminos, Bolinao Pangasinan trip and back....sarap kasi Matic eh. Naka ON lang always ang ECT Power for back-up boost if needed. There were 5 of us in the Altis.

My dad had a Safari before but he sold it to his brother. I like its rugged feel and no holds-barred, no arte ride. As in sugod lang ng sugod. Sarap pang outdoor road trip. TANK nga!

Initial plans of swapping my Altis for my dad's 2002 Pajero Fieldmaster 4x2 got scrapped. He sold it instead.
    What ever choice I consider, it will be my daily ride na.....if not, will hold on with the Altis and save-up for a 2nd hand Safari in the near future.

Thanks guys!

2. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    I`d rather SAVE UP if I were you. It would still feel different driving a 6 year old sedan on a daily basis rather than driving a 16 year old bumpy SUV. Yes, the Safari may be a can-go-anywhere-suv but you should already be aware on what to expect on a rigid 16 year old car. Suspension components might have been already affected during the long span of usage and those things will be costly to maintain & replace. Not to mention those expensive tires ( about 7k each )

3. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Keep the Altis.

You'll think of swapping the Altis for an offroad capable vehicle whenever you need to load up lots and go out of town, but you'll think of swapping it back everytime you come back to the city.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I'd rather not. The maintenance cost, running costs (those old trucks may be diesel... but they're thirsty) and comfort are nothing compared to an Altis.

Better to keep your car and save up, then pounce on your dream off-roader when you have enough.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    * renzo / mds / niky

Thanks for the straight forward advise guys. True that the feel will really be different driving either 2 in the city and out of town. The age diff and cost issues are really a huge factor. Iba nga naman talaga ang comfort and ease of ride and maintenance of the Altis for city and relaxed out-of-town trips.

Will just save-up and just continue on my review and planning on my go-anywhere 4x4. Kung budget mode lang, siguro Nissan Safari parin and just improve the specs for off-roading.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    If your sole purpose is to have an offroader, I'd suggest the Suzuki Samurai

7. Join Date
    May 2010
    Keep the Altis and save for that SUV. Remember, patience is a virtue.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by renzo_d10 View Post
    If your sole purpose is to have an offroader, I'd suggest the Suzuki Samurai

* renzo

My purpose of eyeing a budget 4x4 is actually for out of town trips with friends, one that can carry atleast 7+ people, one that can go off-road if needed. I dont intend it to go hardcore 4x4.

Preferrably A/T sana, para hindi nakakapagod sa long drives. Like the Year 2000+ Nissan Patrol na Diesel....but that is beyond the current budget. So talagang save-up nga muna.

A swap for my dad's 2002 Pajero Fieldmaster 4x2 was scrapped 1st quarter this year, he sold it. Pero I did not like the 3rd row seating space of the Pajero. Untog yung ulo mo sa bubong. so for 5 persons lang ang ideal and cargo for the rear. Unlike sa 1994 Safari ng dad ko na sobrang luwag for 7 persons....but he sold that one to his brother last year.

Yun nga lang the Safari is Manual. But ok narin because that is what's within range of my current budget. So I guess save-up nalang talaga muna is the correct way to do....and get either a 1994-1997 Nissan Safari, or Toyota LC80 / 2000- Nissan Patrol if may extra budget na.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by myk384 View Post
    Hehehe. Yes true. Thank you sir for your opinion.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by myk384 View Post
    Patience is not a virtue. It's just a waste of time ...

Quote Originally Posted by KinKyHOOTER View Post
    * renzo

My purpose of eyeing a budget 4x4 is actually for out of town trips with friends, one that can carry atleast 7+ people, one that can go off-road if needed. I dont intend it to go hardcore 4x4.

Preferrably A/T sana, para hindi nakakapagod sa long drives. Like the Year 2000+ Nissan Patrol na Diesel....but that is beyond the current budget. So talagang save-up nga muna.

A swap for my dad's 2002 Pajero Fieldmaster 4x2 was scrapped 1st quarter this year, he sold it. Pero I did not like the 3rd row seating space of the Pajero. Untog yung ulo mo sa bubong. so for 5 persons lang ang ideal and cargo for the rear. Unlike sa 1994 Safari ng dad ko na sobrang luwag for 7 persons....but he sold that one to his brother last year.

Yun nga lang the Safari is Manual. But ok narin because that is what's within range of my current budget. So I guess save-up nalang talaga muna is the correct way to do....and get either a 1994-1997 Nissan Safari, or Toyota LC80 / 2000- Nissan Patrol if may extra budget na.
    oic. Either of the two ( Safari & LC80 ) I would recommend. Tested both, the LC80 went into minor off-roading while my trip with the Safari was just around the city. Comments ? They're both a bit comfortable, not comparable to a sedan though, obviously. But their smoothness is commendable. Downside is that the prices of the LC80 is tad higher than the Safari. Chances are, you wouldn't be able to get a fresh one without shelling at least 700k.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Sell/swap my 2005 Altis 1.6E A/T for a 1994-1997 Nissan Safari?