New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    hi,

i've read experiences of other owners of fort and innova having their spare tires stolen (at times with rims).

how else can you protect the spare tires (besides placing it inside the car)?

- toyota oem lock - is this good? - doesn't protect the tires though
    - aftermarket lock (miggyboy) - ideas?
    - toyota oem spare tire cover - i've seen this one in the accessories catalog but not available (fort has one though). thoughts on this?
    - chain/padlock set - easily cut by bolt cutter

how about placing a rear mounted tire cover underneath? does anyone know the fitment underneath? i was thinking of getting the likes from crv or mitsu adventure. ideas?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    I park lng sa safe place kasi kahit ano pa ilagay natin kaya pa rin ng magnanakaw

3. Join Date
    May 2005
    Toyota oem lock seem good enough against theft. These thieves are after the wheel and tire. Vandalizing it wont make any sense.

Locks from Miggyboy and the likes are not recommended. Try to do some research and you will find a posting of a broken lock from miggyboy.

As projector says, you need to take proper precautions also by not parking just anywhere but rather in a safe area.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Ok na chain and padlock. This is what I did with my 5 year old Avanza. And choose where you park. Get a thick chain and lock ok na yan. I did get a all weather padlock from Yale. Choose it so it wont rust and will be resistant to mud and other crap from our streets.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Wrap the chain around the wheel and not around the tire so it is less easy to reach with a bolt cutter. Also looks better and cleaner.

I use the commercially available Solex tire lock. Problem with most run of the mill padlocks is they corrode and sieze over time. Not exactly what you need when you need to get the spare tire.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Wrap the chain around the wheel and not around the tire so it is less easy to reach with a bolt cutter. Also looks better and cleaner.

I use the commercially available Solex tire lock. Problem with most run of the mill padlocks is they corrode and sieze over time. Not exactly what you need when you need to get the spare tire.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    when mine got stolen (factory-fresh brand new alloy rim and unused tire!), i replaced it with a used evangelista-edition black steel rim and used tire. no one's been interested in stealing it anymore. 5 years na..

8. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    when mine got stolen (factory-fresh brand new alloy rim and unused tire!), i replaced it with a used evangelista-edition black steel rim and used tire. no one's been interested in stealing it anymore. 5 years na..
    good idea...iwan nalang sa bahay ang original spare tire.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Used a Masterlock coated chain and Solex heavy duty padlock. Never got stolen.

My Tito had the same set-up on his Frontier before and when they lost the key, they had to use a torch to cut the bolt.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    has anyone ever used or seen the spare tire cover?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
securing innova spare tire