New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Hi guys! My XV30 Camry V6 is now 7 years old and has reached 50,000kms. The shocks would need replacing soon and I want to ask the members here on where and what kind of replacement shocks to get. The current OEM shocks ate fluid and makes the Camry handle like a boat when I turn fast such as on the Buendia flyover. I have been told that gas shocks would be the way to go and I have been told to go for Kayaba shocks. Price is always a factor and I want to consider all options before deciding on which route and what product to purchase. Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thank you.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    We use KYB gas replacements on the 2005 Camry of my grandparents. I got it at Toyorama in Banawe at a considerably lesser price then what the CASA charges. Around 3K+ per piece AFAIR.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    We use KYB gas replacements on the 2005 Camry of my grandparents. I got it at Toyorama in Banawe at a considerably lesser price then what the CASA charges. Around 3K+ per piece AFAIR.
    That's a very good price. Are there any fake Kayaba shocks out there? I just want to know if there are signs I have to watch out for before I make a purchase. And where on Banawe is Toyorama? Did they install it for you too?

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Never encountered fake KYBs so far. Toyorama is on the Banawe side that is near E. Rod. already. It's to the left side if you're going to E. Rod. Parking there is a bit iffy though so best to have a someone with you to wait with your car or as suggested before, park at Puregold in E. Rod then walk to Banawe. For the install, Toyota did it for us when it was brought for service. Your suking Servitek/suspension shop should be able to do it also.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Never encountered fake KYBs so far. Toyorama is on the Banawe side that is near E. Rod. already. It's to the left side if you're going to E. Rod. Parking there is a bit iffy though so best to have a someone with you to wait with your car or as suggested before, park at Puregold in E. Rod then walk to Banawe. For the install, Toyota did it for us when it was brought for service. Your suking Servitek/suspension shop should be able to do it also.
    Ah... Thanks man. I'll drop by and get the parts and keep it for next time when I need to have my shocks replaced.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    You're welcome. I'm actually surprised the cost of consumable parts for this Camry model isn't too far off from my 'Rolla either. If you have the rear power seats, the shop may also have a little trouble removing the rear shocks if they're not familiar with how to remove/disassemble the rear seatback that's why we ended up having Toyota doing the shock change at the rear (the labor charge was acceptable anyway).

I got to dig up my old quote from Toyorama from a few months back. It's P 3,750* for the front and P 3,700* for the rears (KYB). Wala pang tawad yun. In contrast, Toyota quoted P 10,200* for the rears and P 8K+ each for the fronts.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    You're welcome. I'm actually surprised the cost of consumable parts for this Camry model isn't too far off from my 'Rolla either. If you have the rear power seats, the shop may also have a little trouble removing the rear shocks if they're not familiar with how to remove/disassemble the rear seatback that's why we ended up having Toyota doing the shock change at the rear (the labor charge was acceptable anyway).

I got to dig up my old quote from Toyorama from a few months back. It's P 3,750* for the front and P 3,700* for the rears (KYB). Wala pang tawad yun. In contrast, Toyota quoted P 10,200* for the rears and P 8K+ each for the fronts.
    I do have the rear power seats. One doesn't work anymore though probably from lack of use since no one ever sits in the back.

By the way, my front driver's power seat is not totally working and my airbag light is on all the time now. Aside from Toyota, where would you recommend to have this serviced? I hope there's a competent garage out there aside from Toyota.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    On the power seats, try inquiring with a upholstery shop like seatmate or maybe Jemson, the electrician at Banawe (you'll see his thread on these forums also).

9. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    On the power seats, try inquiring with a upholstery shop like seatmate or maybe Jemson, the electrician at Banawe (you'll see his thread on these forums also).
    Yup I have read his thread. I'll try to drop by his stall in the coming weeks when I make my way to QC. Thanks man!