New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2012
    just purchased a 92 corolla ae92 small body. napansin ko lang madalas may white smoke pa nag hi rev while parked. and amoy gas. we had shell mindanao ave. change the oil, spark plugs. oil, air, fuel filter. change fuel fron 95 octane xcs to 91 octane shell fuel save. fuel economy I think is bad as a 34 ltr gas took only 4 days running 36 kms. from home to work to home daily.

the mechanics advised baka daw panis na gas. but we bought the car on near empty fuel. they told me to observe but it is still happening. they also advised it might be the carburetor. they also pointed out the engine was recently overhauled as evidence of orange sealant could be seen, the engine bay was cleaned as well.

im thinking loose compression since its a 21 yr old car. im no car guru and I would like to ask for help on how to fix, what dealer and where near balintawak area can I take my vehicle for further inspection.

thank you in advance for the inputs

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    imho, if it was overhauled, dapat walang loose compression yan. baka pinalitan lang yung head cover gasket nyan.
    to be sure, have your car compression tested.
    hows the acceleration and idling?

3. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    yung sa honda 97 ng utol ko sir white smoke din pag revving. check mo kung mabilis maubos than normal yung coolant, yun kasi ang common cause, napupunta yung tubig sa cylinders.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    you used up 34 liters of gas to travel 36 km... very bad, indeed. but that should mean, your exhaust should be black due to unburnt fuel.. and since it's not, try to see if you have fuel leak somewhere..... either that, or your gas gauge is defective..
    i see a lot of expenses...

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by zarathos View Post
    just purchased a 92 corolla ae92 small body. napansin ko lang madalas may white smoke pa nag hi rev while parked. and amoy gas. we had shell mindanao ave. change the oil, spark plugs. oil, air, fuel filter. change fuel fron 95 octane xcs to 91 octane shell fuel save. fuel economy I think is bad as a 34 ltr gas took only 4 days running 36 kms. from home to work to home daily.

the mechanics advised baka daw panis na gas. but we bought the car on near empty fuel. they told me to observe but it is still happening. they also advised it might be the carburetor. they also pointed out the engine was recently overhauled as evidence of orange sealant could be seen, the engine bay was cleaned as well.

im thinking loose compression since its a 21 yr old car. im no car guru and I would like to ask for help on how to fix, what dealer and where near balintawak area can I take my vehicle for further inspection.

thank you in advance for the inputs

It could be two things. Either loose compression or bad carb setting.

Generally I would say it would be compression issue than carb. It would be easy enough to test using a compression test that most service shops can do in a few minutes. If its confirmed as a compression issue, it could be the pistons or the valves.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 1D4LV View Post
    imho, if it was overhauled, dapat walang loose compression yan. baka pinalitan lang yung head cover gasket nyan.
    to be sure, have your car compression tested.
    hows the acceleration and idling?
    acceleration and idling is very good sir. mabilis pa rin sya at maayos ang idling even if the aircon is on. it doesn't go above 900-1000 rpm on idle

7. Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Densker View Post
    yung sa honda 97 ng utol ko sir white smoke din pag revving. check mo kung mabilis maubos than normal yung coolant, yun kasi ang common cause, napupunta yung tubig sa cylinders.
    hindi po sya naka-coolant and wala din akong napapansing water leaking sa ilalim. water temp. naobeserbahan kong normal din ang water temp. di rin nauubusan yung overflow ng water. i had it inspected as well nung nasa shell service center and the mechanic said it was ok.

i did notice sa first engine start of the day na may water na lumabas sa tambutso then nawala din after a few. i tried observing it for a few minutes and nawala din naman. but i'll inquire sa magaling na mechanic na din. can you recommend one for me sir?

Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    you used up 34 liters of gas to travel 36 km... very bad, indeed. but that should mean, your exhaust should be black due to unburnt fuel.. and since it's not, try to see if you have fuel leak somewhere..... either that, or your gas gauge is defective..
    i see a lot of expenses...
    bale 36kms a day x 4 days po sir. it seems ok naman ang gas gauge since nung nakuha naming near empty, nag-on yung red light indicating very low on fuel and nung pina-full tank, tumodo din yung gauge. i'll have them check if there is a fuel leak somewhere, baka ito din ang cause but i don't see any fuel deposits or water droppings sa ilalim ng sasakyan

8. Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    It could be two things. Either loose compression or bad carb setting.

Generally I would say it would be compression issue than carb. It would be easy enough to test using a compression test that most service shops can do in a few minutes. If its confirmed as a compression issue, it could be the pistons or the valves.
    i'll go back to the shell service center and have them run a compression test or kung meron po kayo ma-suggest na shop sir dun na lang ako punta to have it checked.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2012
    just got back from 2 shops

shell in mindanao ave. advised that i have a valve seal and gasket issue. they gave me an estimate of 9k if only to work the top overhaul and 16k for a full overhaul. including the machine shop cost. but since its only an estimate, tataas pa. both prices include 3k labor.

a recommended mechanic by my friend in regalado ave. advised that there are indeed a lot of issues on the 21yr old engine. oil and water mixing in the radiator, as evidence of bubbles when i full rev. valve seal and loose compression. possible piston rings replacement. possible timing belt issue, possible head gasket issue. his labor charge is 4,500 with an estimate of 12k but may increase on the additional issues that will be found.

both really can't tell the extent of the damage until the engine has been opened. both advised there will be a machining shop involved, and both advised 3 days worth of repair.

should i go to shell mindanao or the autoshop in regalado ave?

im hoping the cost wont be as much as 15k as my budget is only 20k, and i still have to install the car stereo with usb. my wife and i purchased the car knowing the stereo is not working. and i told her that buying a more than 2 decades old car will have issues and has somewhat accepted the fact that shelling out of our life-savings will be necessary.

this is the tsikot by the way:

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Have the engine fixed properly and worry about the stereo after. What is the point of a car stereo when the car doesn't work?

Oil and water mixing is a sign of a water gasket failure. Nothing fatal but it means you will have to remove the engine head to replace.

While the head is off, take the opportunity to check the valves and piston rings via drip down test to make sure the rest of the engine is in good condition. As for the timing belt, given you don't know when it was last replaced, it is recommended to check and maybe replace if it is already out of spec.

It might seem expensive but doing this will help ensure less headache later.

Sent from my Nokia 5110 using Tsikot app.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast