New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Hi Guys,

Need your expert advice. What is the difference in the engine of the Prado and Fortuner? In their specs sheet, both have the 1KD-FTV. The only difference I see is the "Turbocharged" and "VNT" respectively.

Prado - 1KD-FTV (Type 4-Cylinder Inline 16 Valve DOHC Turbocharged Diesel Engine With Intercooler)

Fortuner - 1KD-FTV (Type Direct Injection, 4-Cylinder In-Line, 16 Valve DOHC , Variable Nozzle Turbo (VNT) With Intercooler)

Hope to hear your expert advices. Sorry, I'm not good with cars, kindly correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks!!!

2. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    ang alam ko same engine, different tranny. could also be different ECU. antayin natin response ng mga expert dito hehe

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by racedriver View Post
    Hi Guys,

Need your expert advice. What is the difference in the engine of the Prado and Fortuner? In their specs sheet, both have the 1KD-FTV. The only difference I see is the "Turbocharged" and "VNT" respectively.

Prado - 1KD-FTV (Type 4-Cylinder Inline 16 Valve DOHC Turbocharged Diesel Engine With Intercooler)

Fortuner - 1KD-FTV (Type Direct Injection, 4-Cylinder In-Line, 16 Valve DOHC , Variable Nozzle Turbo (VNT) With Intercooler)

Hope to hear your expert advices. Sorry, I'm not good with cars, kindly correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks!!!
    Pretty much the same on paper sir. But performance will be different and it is tuned to match the tranny for sure. Iba transmission ng Prado, It has 5 speed A/T with sequential. If not faster, it will return better fuel mileage.

4. Join Date
    May 2009
    Mukang iba lang tuning ng engine ng Prado kumpara sa Fort. Also, to the commenter sa taas , just because it has an extra gear, doesn't mean it's more fuel efficient already. Lalo na't mas mabigat ang kaha ng Prado sa Fort.

5. Join Date
    May 2010
    IIRC, the Prado has more power and more torque.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2012

Same excellent powerplant (1KD-FTV engine) that came out as early as 2001 that is already equipped with a variable geometry turbo.

The Prado's 1KD-FTV though, has quite a different tuning for added hp and torque.

Here's what a seemingly stock-looking Prado can do in the trails, and how excellent the 1KD-FTV engine is and the transmission mated to it, aside from the very good suspension damping of the Prado and tyres that goes with it, of course:

Prado vs Range - YouTube

Cheers!