New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Part 2...

These are the AFTER pics...

It's not an airtight seal but enough so to still further reduce, if not eliminate, outside air from coming in.
    Last edited by oj88; October 25th, 2015 at 08:45 PM.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Not advisable to make the car cabin air tight. If the car sits out in the sun on a hot soak, there is a risk of the cabin pressure pushing the windshield out or other glass to relieve pressure

3. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    May nag post na before dito ng mga pics on how to clean the rear ac compartment.
    I've done it before, too (cleaned the rear ac blower with brush).

Sealing the vent in the vehicle will minimize the quantity of O2 coming in as it increases the CO2 level inside the cabin.
    If a bad smell is coming in, what I do is I switched off the rear AC and increases the speed of the blower of the front AC for sometime to pressurize the cabin until mawala yung bad smell.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Btw, to avoid double-post, after you typed your message, just click "Go Advance", then "Submit Reply".

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    Not advisable to make the car cabin air tight. If the car sits out in the sun on a hot soak, there is a risk of the cabin pressure pushing the windshield out or other glass to relieve pressure
    Quote Originally Posted by first_light View Post
    May nag post na before dito ng mga pics on how to clean the rear ac compartment.
    I've done it before, too (cleaned the rear ac blower with brush).

Sealing the vent in the vehicle will minimize the quantity of O2 coming in as it increases the CO2 level inside the cabin.
    If a bad smell is coming in, what I do is I switched off the rear AC and increases the speed of the blower of the front AC for sometime to pressurize the cabin until mawala yung bad smell.
    It's hardly airtight. Particularly, the left vent is unrestricted. Only the right vent was made a little bit more restrictive to make the rear blower pull in more recirculated air than outside air.

The front A/C is also pulling in a bit of outside air than I'm comfortable with, even in recirculate mode. I'm also thinking of reducing this as well.

I drove a Civic which never had this problem. After driving it for almost 8 years, not one of us felt sick. The interior smells clean. Compared it to the Innova, the latter, I occasionally do actually smell exhaust gases coming in through the A/C, front and rear. The rear was a lot worse.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I have made further modifications to the AHU in my Innova to significantly reduce outside air from entering the cabin. I have successfully fixed the rear A/C several months earlier (see previous posts) and this time, I focused on the front A/C.

The problem is, even with the Recirculation mode turned ON, there's still significant amount of outside air going in.

Encircled here is the ducting that brings in outside air into the cabin. (Not my picture).

This is what it looks like when looking inside from the cabin air filter hole (behind the glove box)...

Recirculation ON:

Recirculation OFF:

Even with the Recirculation mode turned ON, the recirculation flap does not provide enough snugness to close the outside air duct. Because of that, significant amount of outside air and dirt seeps through the gaps and onto the cabin air filter. When I checked my cabin filter a few days ago, it was almost black with soot. Considering that my Innova is just 10 months old and I always have the Recirculation mode turned ON.

The picture below shows just how much dirt gets through from the outside. This is also the reason I smell exhaust gases from the outside and why there's fine dust and soot everywhere inside the cabin.

So what I did was, I stuffed the intake duct with aircon filter refill material, similar to the picture below.

Doing this has helped significantly cut down the flow of outside air going in. The filter just restricts air coming in so there's no danger of suffocating. When air does enter, it will have to go through thick/folded layers of this filter. By the time it reaches the actual cabin filter, it's pretty much already clean.
    Last edited by oj88; May 11th, 2016 at 05:39 PM.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    I have made further modifications to the AHU in my Innova to significantly reduce outside air from entering the cabin. I have successfully fixed the rear A/C several months earlier (see previous posts) and this time, I focused on the front A/C.

The problem is, even with the Recirculation mode turned ON, there's still significant amount of outside air going in.

Encircled here is the ducting that brings in outside air into the cabin. (Not my picture).

This is what it looks like when looking inside from the cabin air filter hole (behind the glove box)...

Recirculation ON:

Recirculation OFF:

Even with the Recirculation mode turned ON, the recirculation flap does not provide enough snugness to close the outside air duct. Because of that, significant amount of outside air and dirt seeps through the gaps and onto the cabin air filter. When I checked my cabin filter a few days ago, it was almost black with soot. Considering that my Innova is just 10 months old and I always have the Recirculation mode turned ON.

The picture below shows just how much dirt gets through from the outside. This is also the reason I smell exhaust gases from the outside and why there's fine dust and soot everywhere inside the cabin.

So what I did was, I stuffed the intake duct with aircon filter refill material, similar to the picture below.

Doing this has helped significantly cut down the flow of outside air going in. The filter just restricts air coming in so there's no danger of suffocating. When air does enter, it will have to go through thick/folded layers of this filter. By the time it reaches the actual cabin filter, it's pretty much already clean.
    Sir how can i contact you. Ok na po ba innova nyo? Yung sa kin po kasi innova 2015 ganun din po ang problem ko. Pumapasok po ang smell outside. Dinala ko na po sa toyota tarlac and cabanatuan eh ganun pa din po. Please help me po para masolve ko na problem na to. Ok din po ba nung natakpan na yung mga holes sa rear bumper. San nyo po pinaayos? Thank you po sa pag sagot.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2017
    [QUOTE=oj88;2621202]Note: Cross-posting this from the Innova owners' sub-forum as they're more relevant here.

==========================================

Part 1:

Nobody seems to be posting pictures about how they solved their rear A/C outside-air leak so I took it upon myself to at least, TRY getting to the bottom of things.

After removing the bumper, some of the few things I noticed immediately was the number of holes there are on the body. Now, I don't know if these actually go through to the double-wall area where the rear A/C is, but aluminum tape is cheap so I taped them all up.

Before:

After:

I also taped up the four (4) underside holes:

Before:

Ok na po ba innova nyo. Wala na po ba naging problem after nyo gawin to? Ganyan din po kasi ang problem ko sa innova e 2015 ko. Please help me po. Sa nyo po pinaayos? Galing nako ng toyota tarlac and cabanatuan ganun p din po eh
    Please reply. Tnx. How can i contact you po. Need ko po talaga ng advise nyo.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Hi good day, kamustahin ko lang po kung nag ok po ang mga remedy na ginawa nyo? Last ecq, almost 5 months hindi nagamit ang innova namin, then nung gagamitin wala ng lamig. Kinargahan lang ng freon and na check sa o-ring lang nag leak. Malamig na sya then nag aamoy usok sa loob kahit naka close ang vent switch dito sa front. K suspect sa likod nanggagaling. And nakita ko nga po itong post ninyo. Thanks

10. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    With all the efforts I did above, nabawasan yung pagpasok ng hangin galing sa labas, but not totally eliminated. Although, the reduction was significant enough na hindi na mabilis umitim yung cabin filter ng front A/C compared to before.

Sa rear A/C majority nanggagaling yung amoy so I turn it off when passing through smelly areas. It seems that the old Innova body is like Swiss cheese.... ang daming crevices and orifices that allows outside air to leak in.

I left it at that nalang and considered it as a partial win.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
Outside smoke smell entering Innova's cabin through back aircon