New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    I'm a new owner of an old hilux and I can't seem to find a thread discussing the old yet classic hiluxes. I'm sure there are a lot of owners here that still have them as they are known for durability.

Well, for me, it has been my dream to own one (LN106) and it came true just recently. I was able to purchase a relatively fresh unit with some offroad mods already.

As I always do with second hand units, I make it very reliable by replacing some parts that have already worn out due to age and usage. I already changed the engine and transmission supports, center bearing, clutch master kit, tierods, engine oil, and horns. I also installed K&N air and oil filters, front fog lamps, and reverse lamps. The brake system was cleaned and checked as well. I installed original Toyota parts so the cost was a little steep but I expect long service intervals except, of course, oil change which I intend to do every 3k kms.

Mga initial comments ko sa ride ko

1. Matagtag siya dahil sa live front axle (expected but tolerable)
    2. Pwede kong buhusan ng tubig yung makina at aandar pa rin
    3. Pwede kong iharabas sa bako-bako
    4. Quaint para sa akin yung iniikot para isara at buksan ang bintana
    5. Stable naman hanggang 100kph. More than that, kaya pa ng konti ng makina pero ayaw na ng dibdib ko

Sa mga present and previous owners diyan, post niyo naman mga views, comments, issues, mods, or what not ninyo regarding your beloved truck. I want to learn some more.

TIA

2. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    sir drave, we have a 2001 sr5 4x4.

walang nasisira
    sobrang tatag
    kaya naman nya hanggang 140kph pero hanggang dun na lang
    kahit ata po itubog sa tubig ang buong sasakyan e aandar pa din

3. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Drave View Post
    I'm a new owner of an old hilux and I can't seem to find a thread discussing the old yet classic hiluxes. I'm sure there are a lot of owners here that still have them as they are known for durability.

Well, for me, it has been my dream to own one (LN106) and it came true just recently. I was able to purchase a relatively fresh unit with some offroad mods already.

As I always do with second hand units, I make it very reliable by replacing some parts that have already worn out due to age and usage. I already changed the engine and transmission supports, center bearing, clutch master kit, tierods, engine oil, and horns. I also installed K&N air and oil filters, front fog lamps, and reverse lamps. The brake system was cleaned and checked as well. I installed original Toyota parts so the cost was a little steep but I expect long service intervals except, of course, oil change which I intend to do every 3k kms.

Mga initial comments ko sa ride ko

1. Matagtag siya dahil sa live front axle (expected but tolerable)
    2. Pwede kong buhusan ng tubig yung makina at aandar pa rin
    3. Pwede kong iharabas sa bako-bako
    4. Quaint para sa akin yung iniikot para isara at buksan ang bintana
    5. Stable naman hanggang 100kph. More than that, kaya pa ng konti ng makina pero ayaw na ng dibdib ko

Sa mga present and previous owners diyan, post niyo naman mga views, comments, issues, mods, or what not ninyo regarding your beloved truck. I want to learn some more.

TIA

Hi, Drave. You can probably surmise why my username is such because I own one and several other toyota 4x4's. Well, to start with I am a 4x4 enthusiast and we usually prefer the older hilux with solid axles (LN106 and older) as they are easier to modify and lift. The LN106 came to the Philippine shores in the early 90's until 1997. It was then replaced by the LN166 by 1998 but had the same drivetrain but now come equipped with IFS (torsion bar) up front but retained the leafspring setup on the rear. They are powered by the reliable 2.8D 3L diesel engine which can be upgraded to turbo using the turbo of the 2L. Aftermarket goodies (lift kits, turbo, snorkel) also abound the market for this models. The stock ride is stiff but you can improve it by installing aftermarket leafpsrings like OME, ironman, skyjacker and the likes depending on how you intend to use your rig.
    cheers!

4. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    LN106G,

Yeah, I understand that the turbo for the 2LTE engine would bolt on to the 3L engine, but I think you also have to change the pistons and piston rings to make it more bulletproof. I'm not thinking yet of doing this soon to my engine coz my 5.29 gears make my acceleration a little peppy even with my 35 inch tires. Besides, my engine is still quite young (would you believe 43k kms in 12 years?). Maybe in the future when I'm wanting more power. Anyway, do you know of any shops in Manila that do this turbo installation?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Sir,

I need your help and advise. We have these Toyota Hilux subic version 3.0 V6 Engine Gas model. Medyo inabot kase ng baha, advise ng kapitbahay namin is ipachange oil para sigurado daw. Last change oil kase nito is last month lang. Ang tanong ko po is anong langis ba dapat gamitin dito sir? Hinde kase ako familiar sa sasakyan na eto. Sa Diesel kase namin na adventure we use Castrol 15W-40. Pwede kaya yun sir? Nag check ako kanina sa Ace Hardware meron din dun 20W-50 na Castrol. Pwede kaya para sa kanya yun mga sir? If yes ilang litro kaya kelangan? Btw eto po itsura ng Hilux namin.

Please advise if my post is not appropriate for this thread. Thanks po

2 months old lang po siya saken pa nga pinangalan nung binili sya ng dad ko. Thanks po sana may makasagot

Old Hilux owners & discussions.. 4x2 or 4x4