New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Overview of New 1.8-liter Gasoline Engine

Aiming to create an engine capable of delivering one of the best performances in its displacement class, TMC has developed a new 1.8-liter gasoline engine that features advanced mechanisms such as Dual VVT-i (Variable Valve Timing-intelligent), provides torque-strong output, reduces CO2 emissions through high fuel efficiency, achieves cleaner exhaust emissions and is light and compact.

Main features of new engine
    1) Torque-strong performance
    While Dual VVT-i enables continuous control of optimum valve timing for various engine speeds and loads, abundant torque at low and medium speeds allows for easy-to-handle output, providing one of the best torque-strong performances in the 1.8-liter class.

2) Excellent fuel efficiency and clean exhaust emissions
    The use of Dual VVT-i and ultra-light pistons, along with efforts to reduce friction loss among parts such as by using roller bearings in the rocker arm valve train, are aimed at achieving at least 5% greater fuel efficiency than that achievable by conventional engines and at achieving clean exhaust emissions (equivalent to 75% lower than the maximum allowed by 2005 emissions standards).

3) Reduced size and weight
    Reduced exterior dimensions and weight have been achieved by modularizing the front section of the engine and using smaller-diameter spark plugs, etc.

http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/news/06/0613.html

2. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Yup I heard about this new engine as well.

They call it the 2ZR-FE which aims to replace the current 1ZZ-FE.

Hopefully this new engine would be more fuel efficient than its predecessor without sacrificing any power and that it would be capable of E-10 or 10% ethanol without any problems whatsoever.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    This should be the standard engine of the upcoming Corolla. Hope they pair it with 6-speed manual and 5-speed automatic to ensure the best performance and economy.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    I wonder why the power and torque rating for 1ZZ-FE shown in the table is a bit degraded as compared to the engine specifications of the existing RAV4 4X2 1.8li?

147 PS -> 132 PS
    19.2 kg-m -> 17.3 kg-m

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    fm. the japanese magazine i read. this thing is to output at least around 145PS, beating the R18 fm. the new Civic. but looks like they'r detuning it for the world market though. sad, i was hoping they would step up to the plate and show every one toyota's engineering prowess.....

6. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    the current 1.8 engine's power is overrated here

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by driven
    I wonder why the power and torque rating for 1ZZ-FE shown in the table is a bit degraded as compared to the engine specifications of the existing RAV4 4X2 1.8li?

147 PS -> 132 PS
    19.2 kg-m -> 17.3 kg-m
    As what BB said, the current Toyota 1ZZ-FE is overrated here in the Philippines. Abroad it only is rated between 130-135hp.

Quote Originally Posted by parakitoJDM
    fm. the japanese magazine i read. this thing is to output at least around 145PS, beating the R18 fm. the new Civic. but looks like they'r detuning it for the world market though. sad, i was hoping they would step up to the plate and show every one toyota's engineering prowess....
    From Toyota's website, the new 2ZR-FE engine will have a maximum output of just 136ps.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    wow! 1.8li fuel efficient engines are coming out! hope this battles the r18 honda has

9. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    ^^^ If Toyota wanted to battle Honda in the 'sporty' category, they would have brought the 2ZZGE instead (or any other GE engine series in the past). XRS pls! - I wont mind testing that Corolla tho hehe.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Any chance that this dual vvti will be implemented in 1.3, 1.5, 1.6 engine of toyota? What do you think?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
New 1.8 Gasoline engine of Toyota